Hacking Wii backup Manager for Windows

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone ever see a game pass MD5 but fail a SHA1 check? For some reason CSI: Hard Evidence is for me. Should I be leery of running it? I hate to think the disc is bad. :/

Last edited by Videomanman87,

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
what do you mean by "pass MD5"?
There isn't a public MD5 database for Wii games to compare with.
Sha-1 is build into Wii games, if it fails, its most probably bad. No harm running it though it may just crap out at some point or it may not if you are lucky. Of course it is recommended to use a good one.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do you mean by "pass MD5"?
There isn't a public MD5 database for Wii games to compare with.
Sha-1 is build into Wii games, if it fails, its most probably bad. No harm running it though it may just crap out at some point or it may not if you are lucky. Of course it is recommended to use a good one.
I know that. But Wii Backup Manager has MD5 and Sh1 error checking. If the hash is there, you have a option to check it. I did and MD5 says no problem, but I get error with SHA1.

Didn't think it would do any harm other than crash but wanted to check. Guess I will try to find another disc or an image somewhere.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Wii Backup Manager can't verify a game is good by checking MD5.
It just store the MD5 when you first "verify" the game's MD5. If subsequent "verify" matches that stored value, it is "good"

You can check the log and it will tell you the truth if you just made your game's first MD5 check recently

Last edited by tswntk,

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii Backup Manager can't verify a game is good by checking MD5.
It just store the MD5 when you first "verify" the game's MD5. If subsequent "verify" matches that stored value, it is "good"
Hmm I have tried to "verify" games that didn't have the MD5 hash and it didn't do anything. I assumed that some backuploaders add it when you dump the game, and some don't. I've used a few different ones so I assumed that is why some of mine do, and others didn't.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/home.html

"An MD5 Hash is calculated and stored in each disc transferred to a drive, so it's possible to verify the data integrity at a later date. The hash isn't calculated for ISO yet."

Have you played the game at all? If something is wrong with it, yes it could stop working sometime during game play, but most likely it'll either load or not and if it loads it's probably a good copy.

It's not a big deal, not like if it doesn't work it'll hurt your system. I say just load her up and have fun with the game instead of obsessing about the hash check.

Last edited by ca032769,

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Have you played the game at all? If something is wrong with it, yes it could stop working sometime during game play, but most likely it'll either load or not and if it loads it's probably a good copy.

It's not a big deal, not like if it doesn't work it'll hurt your system. I say just load her up and have fun with the game instead of obsessing about the hash check.

If the sha-1 verify failed, the game is most probably corrupted somewhere and depending on where the corruption is, it can show all kinds of symptoms - from not loading, hang halfway to corrupt your save file when you almost finish the game.

Yes if you haven't verify the game, you can try your luck and its harmless in most cases. But if you had verified the game is bad, then why try your luck if you can "re-rip" the game.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I did for a bit but that was a while ago. I was checking over the games since I am moving everything to a better HD and came across this oddity. Everything else checked out, this was the only one that didn't, and like I said passing the MD5 and not the SHA1 really made me scratch my head. But now I see MD5 can vary and the SHA1 is a real indicator if the image is good or not.

If the sha-1 verify failed, the game is most probably corrupted somewhere and depending on where the corruption is, it can show all kinds of symptoms - from not loading, hang halfway to corrupt your save file when you almost finish the game.

Yes if you haven't verify the game, you can try your luck and its harmless in most cases. But if you had verified the game is bad, then why try your luck if you can "re-rip" the game.
I agree. I just hope my disc isn't bad and that was the reason for the fail. Again that is why I was asking if anyone else had ever seen this before and wondering why the two checks could disagree. Now I know.

Last edited by Videomanman87,

viktormax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Bug report

Summary
Unable to download / update the database

Description
When trying to download the database fails in the step of converting the database to the internal format

Steps To Reproduce
Open the lastet version of wii backup manager> change to tab "database">click "tools" > Click "update from gametdb" >after download database this program stuck in 47.03% of convert database

viktormax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
<input players = "" /> line causes problems in the conversion of the database with Wiibackupmanager there are 18 games with this problem in the xml database from gametdb
ID GAMES:
WGSS
WWXP
WX2P
WX3P
WX4P
WXIP
XH4P
XH5P
XH9P
XHOP
XIVP
XJDE
XJFP
XJHP
XJIP
XJJE
XJJP

Last edited by viktormax,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Bug report

Summary
Unable to download / update the database

Description
When trying to download the database fails in the step of converting the database to the internal format

Steps To Reproduce
Open the lastet version of wii backup manager> change to tab "database">click "tools" > Click "update from gametdb" >after download database this program stuck in 47.03% of convert database

Hello. :)

I can confirm this issue.:(

Tried it under Windows 7 32-bit amd Windows 10 64-bit.
Downloaded it manually,deleted wiitdb.dd/wittdb.idx/wiitdb.xml,same issue.

But when i use an OLDER Version that works.Definitely an issue with the ACTUAL wiitdb.xml.:(

Thank you.:)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
gametdb is producing invalid xml files for a month now.
some users might have included wrong characters, or the website is not generating the xml properly.
it was a problem with USBLoaderGX too, and it eventually has been fixed. I guess the bug is happening again, so maybe someone do it on purpose.
Anyway, I believe it'll be fixed automatically and is not an issue of this tool, just the database from gametdb.

meanwhile, if you have a working version of that xml, keep it, or make a backup before updating.

Reactions: Alexander1970

viktormax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hello. :)

I can confirm this issue.:(

Tried it under Windows 7 32-bit amd Windows 10 64-bit.
Downloaded it manually,deleted wiitdb.dd/wittdb.idx/wiitdb.xml,same issue.

But when i use an OLDER Version that works.Definitely an issue with the ACTUAL wiitdb.xml.:(

Thank you.:)
I have manually fixed the database, I leave a link of the files wiitdb.db and wiitdb.idx with the database updated to date, I have reported the problem to gametdb, I leave it as a temporary solution
mega.nz/#!8glFTSrA!7HiIQ9oifRxeWqsB5i88H4rb_6cwugpjpimrcBamLXU

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn