Hacking Wii backup Manager for Windows

Wiiwu

Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
This is the best and thank goodness also the only wbfs manager that still has a active developer actively working on it.
happy.gif

Now that you are starting it from scratch, will it still be relying on the old buggy libwbfs or will it address all the wbfs bugs that wiimm has discovered so far?

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
I haven't seen wiimm's bug list for libwbfs.

I'm not using libwbfs directly either. I converted the code to Delphi, written in an OOP fashion. Apart from the fact it does the same thing, it's barely recognisable as the code from libwbfs.

Remember, I only really started using this forum when I released this app a few weeks ago. Most people on here know a lot more than me about a lot of things. Especially things that happened a month or 2 ago. That's too much back reading for anyone I think.
tongue.gif

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like a feature to convert all my 2GB split .wbfs files to the new 4GB standard, an auto process would b best where the prog copies the 2GB .wbfs files to iso/ciso on my computer, deletes the original .wbfs and then creates the new 4GB split .wbfs files. Then moves to the next game.

Hope that makes sense lol slightly stoned right now.........

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
Wiiwu said:
Wiimm thread which itself is quite recent is here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=185428.

If you can address the wbfs bugs he has found, it will set your manager above the rest of the abandoned managers and offer users a good reliable choice to rely on.

i agree, ncWBFSTool was looking great and suddenly it got abandoned and never herd anything since, if you as a developer grow th app as the USB Loaders grow then i personally would have great respect for you keeping the manager up to date unlike others that were killed off before their time.

so keep up the good work and hopefully this manager will be number one on the users must have list

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just tried adding 2 more games to my HDD using the 4Gb split option, both give black screen upon loading.

Re did the split using wbfs_file 1.7, both games worked fine.

A bug???

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok. well im trying to transfer the whole 150 games again with oggzee's cli tool. i figure 1 of 3 things will happen.
1. i get errors on the same games as i did with this program. then i just have to play those games from a wbfs partition.

2. i get errors but on different games. then i cuss at my hdd because it is shitty and inconsistant.

3. i dont get any errors on any games. means that there still is a bug in this program.

will report back when i know what to blame.

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fig2k4;

It looks like this has been mentioned already, but ther seems to be an issue with the 4GB split in you program (or at least a re-split of a 2GB file)

I did 2 games yesterday and they both ;locked up on a black screen when I went to play them.

I re-did them with wbfs_file and they were fine.

PS Oggzee created a bat file that will do what you are talking about, when you re-split files, it creates a temp folder, re-splits the game to the temp, deletes the old game and copies the new game over to the wbfs folder.

re-split2.bat

Hope you get this figured out.

It's a great tool otherwise.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sorry about the lack of response guys, I'm just busy with getting this new version up and running. I really can pick the times to start again from scratch, with the standard change in WBFS files..
smile.gif

I think the 4 gig split problem is caused by WBM using 4 gig - 64k, instead of -32k but I'll know better when I test it.

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may just be an issue with re-splitting files.
I took an brand new ISO of Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicals and did a 4GB split with it (it was 1 file because it was under 4GB but still over 2GB) and it played fine.

I have to say I didn't play a lot of it, but it got past the save data screen and was going to start playing.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
ok. well im trying to transfer the whole 150 games again with oggzee's cli tool. i figure 1 of 3 things will happen.
1. i get errors on the same games as i did with this program. then i just have to play those games from a wbfs partition.
2. i get errors but on different games. then i cuss at my hdd because it is shitty and inconsistant.

3. i dont get any errors on any games. means that there still is a bug in this program.
will report back when i know what to blame.

every game is copied by oggzee's cli tool v1.7 without any errors.

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fig2k4 said:
Version 0.2.4r2 exe only

Added: More debug logging for the phantom transfers.
Fixed: Drive removal detection.
Fixed: Process threads are only cancelled when a used drive is unplugged.
Fixed: Removing a drive while copying from/to it should be handled gracefully.

Known bug: If your cover folder is on a removable drive and it's unplugged while downloading, the app will most likely crash just now.

0.2.4 works fine... r2 gives the following when i click "Drive" in Drive1 tab...

image1wp.png

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
@giantpune
I really am hoping that it's a threading issue that's been solved with this new design. It's totally thread safe. If you don't mind, I could send an early test version to see if it fixes it, when it's ready?

@thewonderer73

Things are going well, but just a little slower than expected. The multi-threading is great, IMO.
smile.gif
eg. I can copy files to drive 1 and 2 at the same time, from files or DVD. If the drives are on different physical buses, there's virtually no slowdown at all. The 4 gig split seems to work fine. I've tested drive to drive and ISO to drive with no problems, so far. WBFS files are working just like ISOs etc. on the files page too.

The main priority for me is to make sure that all the file transfers are working 100% so I'm not even going to bother about covers etc. before I know that for a fact. With that in mind, the first version won't have most of those extra features.

Having said that, in future versions I want to make the cover downloads automatic. eg. You tick the box "Automatically download covers" or whatever, and you never need to think about it again. When you select an entry in the list, if the cover is missing, it tries to download it straight away. All other covers will be stored in a list that gets downloaded in the background. On the fly and automatic renaming from titles.txt is another thing I'll do. "On the fly" just renames the entries in the app without touching the files. "Automatic" will rename the entries as they're copied to the drive or when a drive is mounted.

File transfers first..
smile.gif

@ozzymud
OK, I thought that Windows always used a friendly name for the drives but it seems not. I'll need to strip the name of any invalid characters for that use. The display name would still be the same. Thanks.

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
using 2.0.4 (r1) just copied 150+ games into my 1TB fat32 partition... GX code dumped on selecting the partition
frown.gif

also, i couldn't seem to select many files to cue up to copy... SMALL batches only... somewhere about 1GB combined.

If i cue'd up like 10 >1gb files (stored as ciso on my pc), then one would copy and it would just stop
10 under 100MB files all go in one shot

was told to just use wbfs_file 1.8 for now... however, i cant for the life of me figure out howto do .ciso -> .wbfs with a command line

wbfs_file Monopoly.ciso ---> spits out -h help text.

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
fig2k4 said:
@giantpune
I really am hoping that it's a threading issue that's been solved with this new design. It's totally thread safe. If you don't mind, I could send an early test version to see if it fixes it, when it's ready?

@thewonderer73

Things are going well, but just a little slower than expected. The multi-threading is great, IMO.
smile.gif
eg. I can copy files to drive 1 and 2 at the same time, from files or DVD. If the drives are on different physical buses, there's virtually no slowdown at all. The 4 gig split seems to work fine. I've tested drive to drive and ISO to drive with no problems, so far. WBFS files are working just like ISOs etc. on the files page too.

The main priority for me is to make sure that all the file transfers are working 100% so I'm not even going to bother about covers etc. before I know that for a fact. With that in mind, the first version won't have most of those extra features.

Having said that, in future versions I want to make the cover downloads automatic. eg. You tick the box "Automatically download covers" or whatever, and you never need to think about it again. When you select an entry in the list, if the cover is missing, it tries to download it straight away. All other covers will be stored in a list that gets downloaded in the background. On the fly and automatic renaming from titles.txt is another thing I'll do. "On the fly" just renames the entries in the app without touching the files. "Automatic" will rename the entries as they're copied to the drive or when a drive is mounted.

File transfers first..
smile.gif

@ozzymud
OK, I thought that Windows always used a friendly name for the drives but it seems not. I'll need to strip the name of any invalid characters for that use. The display name would still be the same. Thanks.

REALLY looking forward to it. Frankly speaking, the cover downloads is not useful for me.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@ fig2k, I'm not sure if you've seen this simple gui (which uses wbfs_file to convert to and from .wbfs and iso, and it also extracts banners from .wbfs files), I'm not sure who the author is, but you can download it here

http://kurse.co.uk/gui.zip

I'm not sure if having this app will help you develop your own (probably not, lol, but you never know). You're app is still #1 in my books though.

EDIT: author is r3lay, here is his original post (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147638&view=findpost&p=2383353).

yeswiican

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Great utility!!!

What's the idea of the DVD tab?
Should it be able to read an original Wii disc, so can create wbfs from it without using a Wii device?

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
@xflak40
Is there any use for extracting the banner? Maybe for creating channels?

@yeswiican
Most PC drives can't read original Wii DVDs. A few can, but i can't remember the model numbers.
smile.gif
The DVD page will allow you to copy a backup DVD to WBFS and .wbfs just now. DVD->ISO/CISO will work as soon as I get direct ISOCISO conversion coded..

@ozzymud
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any other way to convert CISO to .wbfs directly yet. I'm working on this new version as much as I can to get it out there. I'm sure it'll fix most of the problems. If it doesn't I'll just look like a complete tool. lol

I might as well leave a little update of features I've added...

Import/export .wbfs on the files page.
Drive to Drive/ISO/CISO/.wbfs
Multi-threading. So using a bit of common sense, you can do a few transfers/conversions at the same time without any slow down. Only pages that can't be used during certain operations are disabled. You can move around freely from page to page while doing anything. eg. watch the log, load up more files for the next batch transfer etc..

I'm just going to tackle the ISOCISO to complete the conversion code.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)