Wii #1678 - Need for Speed NITRO (Europe)

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taken directly from my blog ( http://lightykd.blogspot.com )...

A few hours ago, I was finally able to sit down with a copy of "Need for Speed: Nitro." I have to say that this game is VERY pretty! The lighting effects, the reflections, the textures of the road, it all looks beautiful. For a game that uses a little over 2 gigs (garbage data brings it up to 4.3) of the 4.7 available on this disc, "Nitro" is pretty cool, from a graphical standpoint. I love the bright colors. Its not too cartoon bright but, a nice mix of realism and fantasy. Even the menu has a cool look. it was obvious that EA Games took their time to make this game look no less than a modern experience.

My major gripes comes from the game play. I HATE the fact that the police drive around in hummers. They are bulky and take up a lot of space on the race course. The courses feel a bit smaller in width but that's probably because there are too many cars on the track. Another annoyance is how drifting is handled. Its not as reactive as It needs to be. Actually if I had to describe the drifting and a lot of the game play mechanics, I would say, "TOO arcadey". I know this is a arcade racer but the game play did not have to be over the top. Anywho, its different and nice. The only thing it really misses is an online mode. After nearly 4 years of having the "Need for Speed" franchise on the Wii, one would come to expect an online mode on an online capable system.

I'm very mixed about this game. On one side, this game shows obvious signs of care from the developer. On the other side, it's lacking a lot that you expect from other games, of the same franchise. if you have the money and you want a nice holiday racer, go ahead and get this game. It's not bad. on the other hand, if you don't have the funds, wait for a "Black Friday" sale or ask somebody to buy this for you as a holiday present. It's not a bad game...just lacking.

EDIT: now after playing some more I have to say that I have a few more gripes. 1) in what f*cking city do the cops have enough money to roam around in hummers?!?! That's not a gripe from a realism POV but from a gameplay POV. The tracks are already small (width wise) as it is, HUGE ass hummers have no place in the f*cking track! all they do is block progress and make things frustrating! 2) The drifting sucks ass! Even with the turning assist off the drifting isnt nearly as responsive as Mario Kart or any of the other Need for Speed iterations. 3) Sometimes you just cant see where the hell you are going. one second it looks like the track is about to make a left turn then all of a sudden when you get to that turn, its a right turn. Also, I wonder if the "turning assist" option has anything to do with the colorful road lines. I need to check that one out.

pecavuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Np. It's either B or A, not really sure, but I did see screenshots with stardard police vehicles, so, it's only a matter of time.

I'm curently playing in Dubai.
smile.gif
Got 96 stars, and saving points (only 20k more to go) to buy Tesla Roadster. Not really sure what awaints in the Grand Prix, but I will post the news here.

Edit: The Grand Prix is a compilation of all the circuit races from Rio, Cairo, Madrid, Singapore and Dubai. I won at the end scoring the most points, and have unlocked Cup B. The only bad thing which is kind of a letdown, all the cities from before are there in Cup B and Cup A, so you're racing against the same people, at the same places.

I'll finish the game one way or the other, since this is the only racer on Wii that's actually worth finishing. And I want to get more cars.
smile.gif

Edit: Just tried out Cup B, and there are different Police cars, the're actually normal, but they're still pretty tough. I suggest buying a Tesla Roadster (75k Points), since it's the only reasonable car to drive if anyone wants to stand a chance in Cup B.
smile.gif
Does anyone else find the artwork freaking amazing?
biggrin.gif
I can't get enough of it, I'm gonna do some sketches of the characters...
biggrin.gif

Neversoft

Trophies
XP
Country
dearodie said:
Satangel said:
Well, I'm afraid you are just on the wrong platform then. Go with the PC or with 360/PS3.
The Wii just isn't powerful enough to produce realistically nice graphics and have good racing physics.
There is a F1 game coming out soon for Wii, but I doubt that will suffice for you.

Forza Motorsports started on Xbox. Gran Turismo 3 was made for PS2.
So it's possible to do the same on Wii.
Thanks for pointing that out
smile.gif
I never mentioned graphics, I just said I'd like to see a quality, serious racer on the Wii... Something that it's more than capable of doing, including most of the physics.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neversoft said:
dearodie said:
Satangel said:
Well, I'm afraid you are just on the wrong platform then. Go with the PC or with 360/PS3.
The Wii just isn't powerful enough to produce realistically nice graphics and have good racing physics.
There is a F1 game coming out soon for Wii, but I doubt that will suffice for you.

Forza Motorsports started on Xbox. Gran Turismo 3 was made for PS2.
So it's possible to do the same on Wii.
Thanks for pointing that out
smile.gif
I never mentioned graphics, I just said I'd like to see a quality, serious racer on the Wii... Something that it's more than capable of doing, including most of the physics.

I'm getting really tired of the HD snobs that lurk around here. besides NfS: Nitro more than proves that the Wii is capable of realistic graphics. Just because the cars have a cartoony shape they still have a mostly realistic look. Not to mention the reflection and shading effects are almost on par with the 360/pc version of NfS: Most Wanted.

dearodie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stand by what I said months ago. I picked this game up again today to play with my son and still find it frustrating as hell. I'lltake MKWii over this any day .. matter of fact, I exhumed Burnout2 for Gamecube and have way more fun with it than this POS.
For sake of comparison, I also played Need for speed most Wanted (Gamecube version), that game is also way better in my opinion.
It certainly is not as pretty, but I don't care. I feel like I'm in control of the car when I play it, not bounced around from wall to cop car like in Nitro.
Again, graphics don't matter .... so put a sock in it about HD whores, Nitro just doesn't have good controls.
Come on people, outrun (1986 sega) arcade is better than this. Lotus Turbo challenge on Amiga is also way better.
The gist of it is, it seems the wii crowd that may end up buying a racing game either owns a PS3, Xbox or pc and will buy it on these platforms. Why would publishers then bother with putting out a *similar* game on wii, since it won't sell a whole lot and in most cases the Wii owners seem perfectly happy with getting this kind of crap.
hate2.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dearodie said:
I stand by what I said months ago. I picked this game up again today to play with my son and still find it frustrating as hell. I'lltake MKWii over this any day .. matter of fact, I exhumed Burnout2 for Gamecube and have way more fun with it than this POS.
Thats good and all, but I don't think it was worth bumping this topic to say that -_-'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +2
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    i want a meatball sandwich
    now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Bout time you came out and admitted it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya talks to himself often
    +2
  • btei @ btei:
    papa johns makes me SHIT
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hello everyone
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Meatballs.

Lol.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I <3 meatballs
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello :)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Meatballs are fine. The IKEA ones are by far the best.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Hi friend
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, how r u?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Busy i guess
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, I'm doing well, thanks.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, I'm doing well, thanks. +1