Wifi and Pokemon D/P

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by sethwick, Apr 23, 2007.

Apr 23, 2007

Wifi and Pokemon D/P by sethwick at 5:55 AM (1,418 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. sethwick
    OP

Newcomer sethwick Newbie

United States
    I've been having wifi problems for a while, not been able to get my DS to recognize my campus wireless, but that's with both legit games and roms, and isn't at issue here.

I got the Pokemon rom yesterday, and a legit copy today. I was at a friend's house who had working wireless and had earlier connected to IRC in DS Organize fine. However, on my rom, when I went into the underground, the connection bars in the upper right hand corner remained empty and red. I was connected to that wireless network on my laptop and the network was still up and fine. I am back on campus and don't have a good wireless connection (laptop works fine, DS can't see it though) so I can't just test my legit copy in the same circumstances. Has anyone else had problemsw ith their D/P and wireless on an R4?

2. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    My guess is your campus uses WPA encryption and DS isn't compatible with anything other then WEP. IOW, you're shit-outta-luck. But you're not alone. Same thing affects me.

[​IMG]

3. myclock

Member myclock GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    nothing rong with roms being able to play online for me. only problem is some games dont game share [​IMG]

4. brn

Member brn GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Isn't the underground-mode only DS to DS?

5. Regiiko

Member Regiiko GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Wtf? DS doesn't accept WPA?

Great, now I have to change my wireless router's settings :[

Is there a thread around about what kind of wireless settings the DS accepts?

6. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    There isn't a thread because everybody already knows that the DS only works with WEP or don't secure your router.

7. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    Yeah, it's a major flaw of the NDS since it's released, 3 years ago. [​IMG]

8. sethwick
    OP

Newcomer sethwick Newbie

United States
    Ah, the Underground thing had a wireless connection sign, and I thought that was only used for DS to Access point, not DS to DS.

As for the campus wireless, I don't think it uses any protection, just doesn't broadcast it's SSID. I know I don't have to key in anything on my computer to connect, just tell it the SSID and it works.

9. blunty

Newcomer blunty Advanced Member

United States
    Buy the Nintendo wifi usb dongle and connected to your laptop that gets internet access. The dongle acts like an ap for your DS. Problem solved.

10. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    I've been wondering about that. The usb dongle allows only nintendo devices to connect. Can some fool with DSlinux hack into your wireless network? Anyone?

11. Louse76

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Get a router. Even free after rebate ones will do the trick.

12. DShunter

Newcomer DShunter Member

LOL it has been known that the DS supports only the old 802.11b or the newer 802.11g. Currently most consumer based routers normally supports the wireless-G protocol and only the WEP security encryption not WPA or higher is supported by the DS. Also get yourself a Wireless Router its gonna be very worth it in the long run since already quite a number of electronic devices supports Wi-Fi so you can not only use it for your DS but other devices as well.