Wi-Fi connection help? Stupid DSi is acting retarded..

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Doyouwantaspoon, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Doyouwantaspoon
    OP

Newcomer Doyouwantaspoon Advanced Member

United States
    I have a wireless-G router with WPA-2 encryption, and when I try to connect to it on my DSi, it does I have to go to the Advanced Settings option, and make the connection Connection 4, instead of Connection 1 for some reason.

I'm trying to do an online trade on Pokemon White on my flashcart, but it's saying there's a Wi-Fi error, and it won't connect. Now I know the fucking connection works, because i used the internet browser, but for some reason Pokemon won't work.

Anyone know how the hell I can get it to work?

2. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

I'll try to explain why it doesn't work. The original DS/DS Lites did not support WPA-2 or any other tougher encryption. They only supported WEP. Support for tougher encryption was first introduced in the DSi. The flashcarts which came out following the launch, did not support DSi Mode hence they ran in DS mode. Since DS mode doesn't support WPA-2, the flashcarts don't. Hence it doesn't work for you. You can either:

1) Change the encryption to WEP.
    OR
    2) Get a Cyclo DSi Evo because it supports DSi mode.

Hope I helped! [​IMG]

3. Doyouwantaspoon
    OP

United States
    I don't suppose the Supercard DSTwo supports DSi mode as well..? I just ordered one yesterday.. WEP is such a pain in the ass because it's not just a simple password..

4. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Sadly, it doesn't. [​IMG]

5. Doyouwantaspoon
    OP

United States
    Well that's really ****ing great.. Waste of $40..

6. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Well not really. The DSTWO has many features that the ak2i doesn't have like Real Time Save, In game menu, in game guide, support for emulators etc. So if you look at it that way, it isn't a complete waste.

7. OrGoN3

Member OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    No DSi mode, but aside from DSi mode, the iEvolution sucks donkey balls. The DSTwo gets you a working SNES emulator (way better than any software emulators for the DS), GBA Emulator (it's meh right now), the huge ass community and an overall good-great card. The iEvo has terrible support right now, but is very young.

On a side note, wouldn't a DS game still require WEP-only? There is currently no dump of Pokemon Black/White with its DSi headers, so no matter what, you cannot run a rom of Pokemon B/W in DSi mode.

8. Doyouwantaspoon
    OP

United States
    Yeah whatever, the DSTwo will be better than my current M3i Zero is.. But WEP encryption really sucks, you can hack through it in like 5 minutes.

9. OrGoN3

United States
    It does. But you can't enable WPA/2 encryption in DS games, regardless of your cart. It's what you have to use. I've emailed Nintendo multiple times about this issue, asking for a firmware update (before the DSL came out) since WEP is so easily hackable (even Windows has 1-click programs). Their response was always that their security team deemed it secure enough. Anything, unless it's AES, is insecure. Either use WEP or don't play DS games on WiFi.

AKA: We all know WEP sucks, we've been forced to use it for years thanks to Nintendo.

10. Black ace

Member Black ace GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Why did mystery gift work for me when I used a dstti with pokemon black to get the liberty pass? No error came up and the wifi worked perfectly(My security settings are WPA not WEP by the way).

11. OrGoN3

United States

12. Black ace

Member Black ace GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I think its what my dsi is doing as it says change security settings and it had WEP although the wifi settings are WPA so thats why mystery gift worked for me I think.