Hacking Why would anyone use anything but the Cyclowiz?

lanleague

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking into these chips, is there something I'm missing? This chip clearly has the best feature set of the retail boards, and it has proven updates.

Am I missing something?

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Looking into these chips, is there something I'm missing? This chip clearly has the best feature set of the retail boards, and it has proven updates.

Am I missing something?
Nope. It just unrightfully earned itself a bad reputation, and everyone jumped on to the WiiKey bandwagon because it looked better on paper (at the time).

Unless of course everyone just didn't want to install that stupid switch >_

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waiting for wiip V2. Opensource chips equal the best of all drive chips due to bug fixs being visable to everyone.

Though I much rather wait for a real ultimate chip if it can ever be made one of these days.
Probly not till another year or two in.
Definitly skeptical of te CyloWiiz chip.
I dont wanna be stuck with a chip that could possibly be droped and never updated again.
Not to mention one that might have built in limits.
It still feels too early for modchips anyway.
Though I guess the WiipV2 doesnt make that much better, but atleast its a bit safer.

Alastair

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Am I missing something?

Well...if you're using the chip to play backed-up Wii games, I don't see how any one chip is better than another.
unsure.gif

Zero3xile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i haven't yet got a chip and really ain't planning to get one until a can play bleach and naruto on my pal wii, so i was wondering when i do get one which one do you guys suggest, everyone is saying different things, either cyclowiz or wiikey..

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i haven't yet got a chip and really ain't planning to get one until a can play bleach and naruto on my pal wii, so i was wondering when i do get one which one do you guys suggest, everyone is saying different things, either cyclowiz or wiikey..

since none of the drive mods can improve the region compatibility to allow games like bleach or naruto to work on your PAL wii, you would be better off getting a Japanese Wii with any of the mod chips that provide on the fly patching (wiinja deluxe, wiikey, cyclowiz or opensource options), otherwise dont' expect to play bleach or naruto any time soon.

dohclude

Trophies
Website
www.MODaWii.com
XP
Country
United States
Wi-iC is just as good, but it's only get the normal quicksolder points. No extra wires running all over the place. No switches. Just works. It's half the price and it comes with a free MicroSD GC Mem adapter. It's really an underdog chip, nobody every mentions much about it, but I have one in my system and it works GREAT!

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I went with opensource for the updates. The OpenWii 2.2 DVD upgrade works brilliantly for me.

There are a few excellent chips out, CycloWiz remaining one of them. However, it's not the only one. And possibly, the WiiKey update will make it come back as a top player ...

But, because they haven't updated yet, I keep going with the OpenWii 2.2 chip.

lanleague

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like you can use homebrew code in tandem with the Cyclowiz to increase its functionality )i.e. adding DVD playback)

Zero3xile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i noticed that the usa wii's with a chip can run bleach, but still no word on pal's. I would get a usa one or jap but i already have a pal one with about 4 legit games..

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like you can use homebrew code in tandem with the Cyclowiz to increase its functionality )i.e. adding DVD playback)

Cant you do that with any modchip using the gamecube homebrew DVD player application?
Im sure its not a chip specific thing as the machine could always play DVD movies as long as you had teh software and got the reader to accept it. Wich is what the modchip does to allow said software.

I think the only added function thanks to homebrew compatibilities would be the DVD update feature.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can install a switch on any modchip to provide the on/off feature if you really want.

The point is that all the modchips are essentially the same. I went with open source so I could program my own and save some money, actually make money considering that I "sell" an open source coded chip for $5 if you want when I do your install (local install service).

There's nothing inherently bad about the cyclowiz, it just doesn't really matter. Honestly the Wiinja Deluxe is the best modchip out there since it's the only one that has audiofix and on the fly region patching. Of course, WiiKey is about to have this as well so take that however you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo