Why Windows 8.1?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been holding off updating to 8.1 because I did upgrade my system and found that Microsoft somehow broke my ability to connect to an ad-hoc network which is vital to me as I use my cell phone as a hot spot and work on the go.

But if you can get it for free or cheap ($20 In my instance) the performance difference really is night & day. The only real issue my family had with upgrading was this MMO called Elsword that isn't optimized at all for 8 so my younger brother went back to 7.

Dang, no idea 8.1 broke things like that. I mean, the thing is I'm quite comfortable with how programs work, how things are organized, in all the years I've had 7, I probably experiences, two, maybe three blue screens of death. I can get it for three via my university's computer science program :)

loco365

Trophies
XP
Fuck windows 8. Will stay on windows 7, like I stay on windows XP after Vista came (which was a WISE choice actually)
Wait for windows 10.

You'd be better off anyways. I'm using 8.1 on my laptop. I don't mind it, but I've used the 10 preview and I like it a whole lot more. Plus, you'll get a free upgrade since you're running 7.

lexarvn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, Windows 10 won't be finalized for quite some time I'm sure. I'm comfortable with 7, so I was just confused on why people think I should when 7 works fine for me :P
Sure Windows 10 doesn't have a release date yet, but it's pretty darn likely to come out this year. So even if someone could convince you on why you should upgrade to 8.1, would you really want to upgrade to 8.1 just to upgrade to 10 in less than a year? Personally, I wouldn't bother.

Reactions: the_randomizer

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
You'd be better off anyways. I'm using 8.1 on my laptop. I don't mind it, but I've used the 10 preview and I like it a whole lot more. Plus, you'll get a free upgrade since you're running 7.

yeah, but I will wait. I mean, why should I upgrade while everything works perfectly on 7? That seems pointless to me.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might test it out on my laptop first, to see how I like it, not too sure on the 10 preview though, aren't those a bit unstable/unpredictable, and wouldn't I lose all my data on my laptop?
Sure Windows 10 doesn't have a release date yet, but it's pretty darn likely to come out this year. So even if someone could convince you on why you should upgrade to 8.1, would you really want to upgrade to 8.1 just to upgrade to 10 in less than a year? Personally, I wouldn't bother.
Fair enough, and given what I do, nothing I do warrants or requires an upgrade, can't take advantage of DX12 since my video card doesn't even have it.

yeah, but I will wait. I mean, why should I upgrade while everything works perfectly on 7? That seems pointless to me.
I feel the same, working great, no problems and very stable :P

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Under the hood win 8 is superior, it's just the god awful (on a desktop PC) metro interface that only belongs on small touchscreen devices.
You can undo much of it with 3rd party tools as Nathan Drake said, but personally I'd rather not 'encourage' MS with my money as they went in a direction that I dont agree with.

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade from win 7 or 8, personally I'd wait for that.
My last two laptops came with 8, and 8.1 respectively, and after installing Classic Shell, I like it pretty well. The only new UI features I use are things like win+w to search the windows settings, which works pretty well. Otherwise, the major improvements are all, as you said, under the hood. I probably wouldn't pay to upgrade, but if it's free or comes with your computer, it's definitely useable.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My last two laptops came with 8, and 8.1 respectively, and after installing Classic Shell, I like it pretty well. The only new UI features I use are things like win+w to search the windows settings, which works pretty well. Otherwise, the major improvements are all, as you said, under the hood. I probably wouldn't pay to upgrade, but if it's free or comes with your computer, it's definitely useable.

Now, my Lenovo Y510 came with 7 64-bit preinstalled, would upgrading it delete the partition or just install over the OS?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I've been holding off updating to 8.1 because I did upgrade my system and found that Microsoft somehow broke my ability to connect to an ad-hoc network which is vital to me as I use my cell phone as a hot spot and work on the go.

But if you can get it for free or cheap ($20 In my instance) the performance difference really is night & day. The only real issue my family had with upgrading was this MMO called Elsword that isn't optimized at all for 8 so my younger brother went back to 7.
ElSword works great here. It was at one point the fault of the devs.

Reactions: Margen67

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: Margen67

loco365

Trophies
XP
I might test it out on my laptop first, to see how I like it, not too sure on the 10 preview though, aren't those a bit unstable/unpredictable, and wouldn't I lose all my data on my laptop?

That's usually in a worst-case scenario, I have it running on a second device that I'm not too worried about if I have to format (Although reinstalling Windows 7 and getting a new key will be a pain in the ass). If you're that worried still, install it to an external hard drive or something. It might not give you optimal speed, but you can at least give a test run of the GUI. And from experience, the new Start Menu is fucking awesome.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's usually in a worst-case scenario, I have it running on a second device that I'm not too worried about if I have to format (Although reinstalling Windows 7 and getting a new key will be a pain in the ass). If you're that worried still, install it to an external hard drive or something. It might not give you optimal speed, but you can at least give a test run of the GUI. And from experience, the new Start Menu is fucking awesome.
First thing is to find a bloody job, save up and get an external HDD or a decent SSD (as far as brands go, not sure what the better brands for solid state are). There are ways to search the computer for the key itself and reuse it if need be.

Windows 10 I'm guessing will be out in or before September. Their previews are going fairly well. I've yet to try it, incompatibilities with current software mostly.

Well, that's to be expected methinks, I remember using preview builds for 7, they were pretty quirky at times.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I would totally wait for 10. Windows 8/8.1 are garbage with their horrible metro interface and fake Start button. They'll only slow you down if you use a mouse. From what I've seen, 10 actually looks at what kinds of hardware you're running and utilizes specific elements of Windows to better suit that environment. It's what they should have done with Windows 8, and I'm really looking forward to its release.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Windows 10 I'm guessing will be out in or before September. Their previews are going fairly well. I've yet to try it, incompatibilities with current software mostly.

I'm thinking either May, July, or August* as their launch dates. Note the star beside August, that's the month that most of their OS releases seem to be from a quick Google search, so I'm favoring August as a month for a release.

There are ways to search the computer for the key itself and reuse it if need be.

Thing is, I can't reuse the key. I'm using a Dreamspark licence, and I can only use the key once, as to prevent sharing. Dreamspark licenses only allow for personal use.

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, my Lenovo Y510 came with 7 64-bit preinstalled, would upgrading it delete the partition or just install over the OS?
You should be able to do a straight upgrade over the existing OS without losing any data. And I believe that if you do, you can downgrade back if you decide you don't like it.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would totally wait for 10. Windows 8/8.1 are garbage with their horrible metro interface and fake Start button. They'll only slow you down if you use a mouse. From what I've seen, 10 actually looks at what kinds of hardware you're running and utilizes specific elements of Windows to better suit that environment. It's what they should have done with Windows 8, and I'm really looking forward to its release.

Yeah, I'll definitely wait till things are fixed up a bit more in 10, no sense in me using a broken OS :P

I'm thinking either May, July, or August* as their launch dates. Note the star beside August, that's the month that most of their OS releases seem to be from a quick Google search, so I'm favoring August as a month for a release.
Thing is, I can't reuse the key. I'm using a Dreamspark licence, and I can only use the key once, as to prevent sharing. Dreamspark licenses only allow for personal use.

Seriously...? Bollocks...well...yeah, that's the kind of license I have, so should I need to reinstall...yep, gonna make things a royal pain in the ass for sure.

loco365

Trophies
XP
You should be able to do a straight upgrade over the existing OS without losing any data. And I believe that if you do, you can downgrade back if you decide you don't like it.

I can vouch for this. My desktop has an XP recovery partition on it still (After all these years), and I once successfully downgraded from a broken copy of Vista to an even brokener copy of XP (Although I probably could have fixed it had I been patient and more knowledgable).

Seriously...? Bollocks...well...yeah, that's the kind of license I have, so should I need to reinstall...yep, gonna make things a royal pain in the ass for sure.

Well, a little bird told me of a few tricks, so I'm going to try them when the need arises and hope all goes well.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can vouch for this. My desktop has an XP recovery partition on it still (After all these years), and I once successfully downgraded from a broken copy of Vista to an even brokener copy of XP (Although I probably could have fixed it had I been patient and more knowledgeable).
Well, a little bird told me of a few tricks, so I'm going to try them when the need arises and hope all goes well.

Well, well, well, where there's a will, there's a way, this is gonna make the Windows 7 use a pain if it doesn't work....hmmm....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1