Gaming why to buy from eshop when physical prices of games are cheaper

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to quote myself from another thread:
- If I had a copy for every game I have right now I wouldn't have space for anything else Same thing with books. The only thing I don't have 100% digital is music because I can't find a site to buy loseless tracks, they usually are crappy 256kb/s mp3 files.

Buy a bookshelf

- If I had more space, it'd suck to swap cartridges/discs every time I want to play a different game When I play on my 3DS, I might want to play one track of Mario Kart 7 before beating the last boss of Code of Princess (yes, I'm weird like that). Why swapping cartridges when I have everything I need in my SD card?

It takes 5 seconds to swap a cart/disc. People need to learn patience

- Physical games nowadays aren't that special anymore You buy a game, you will most likely get a box with a tiny paper of instructions, and the game. That's it, unless you want to spend more for some limited edition that gives you more plastic crap. I just want to play the game.

Digital games are less special than that still.

- Digital copies are (usually) available before the physical release Nerdy point, but when Pokémon Mystery Dungeon came out, I downloaded it at midnight from the eShop. Fun night :)

Again, no patience. And most people have to sleep at midnight because they have a job or school the next day anyway.

- I can make backups A cartridge or a disc can break, but if I purchased the digital copy I will most likely have a cloud backup always available for me, like Steam/Nintendo eShop. And if it's gone, I can make my own by simply copying them. I have multiple backups of my 3DS SD card.

I've never had a cart or disc break. I have had digital music I had go away because the provider just decided to stop supporting it.

- Digital copies get their sales more regularly than physical games They usually get a discount when they become old or not selling good, while digital copies will most likely have discounts during holiday sales or some anniversary, like Steam.

Physical games get sales all the time. I never paid full retail for new games this past gen. And many of them I was getting within weeks of release. If you think digital has more sales, you're not paying attention to retail. (And how often does Nintendo put their digital stuff on sale? judging by moaning I've read about it, something close to never)

- Digital copies have "unlimited" availability If you are looking for some hidden gem on console, chances are that you might find that game sold-out everywhere. When Solatorobo came out, I heard that every Gamestop had 1-2 copies, max 3, of the game. I have a few friends who want to play the game but can't find a copy because of the game's rarity, and they will most likely have to import it, adding costs. If the DS had a digital shop, I'd have downloaded it instead of getting it the day-one with a Gamestop employer looking at me like "Solatowut?".

Gamestop, there's your problem. Next time order it from amazon. Oh wait then you'd have to wait 3 days to play it (no patience again)

I think that's basically the bottom line. Digital downloads are for today's no patience now now now generation.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy a bookshelf
I have something very similar to this one, and it isn't nearly enough for all the physical stuff I have. Excluding the books I yet haven't found a digital version of, it's still not enough space. I can fit all that stuff in my hard disk.
It isn't something related to patience. Maybe you feel safe carrying your games around, I don't. And the less stuff I carry, the better. I don't have to worry about my SD card because it's always inside my 3DS.
Digital games are less special than that still.
Yet they are more convenient to use, as I have described. I'm not going to care for a plastic box when I'm buying a game.
Again, no patience. And most people have to sleep at midnight because they have a job or school the next day anyway.
That morning I had school, I was able to go without any problem. How is "patience" related to this?
I've never had a cart or disc break. I have had digital music I had go away because the provider just decided to stop supporting it.
Good for you? Games aren't exactly made of the sturdiest material out of there. Better be safe than sorry.

Physical games get sales all the time. I never paid full retail for new games this past gen. And many of them I was getting within weeks of release. If you think digital has more sales, you're not paying attention to retail. (And how often does Nintendo put their digital stuff on sale? judging by moaning I've read about it, something close to never)
Maybe you should pay attention to Steam, and to the eShop discounts. And we are talking about authorized discounts, straight from the companies that produce those. If you want to play safe and talk how Amazon makes discounts all the time thanks to tax evasion I can tell you that eBay is full of Steam keys bought in wholesale and that they can be bought for a very little price, still legal.

Lastly

Gamestop, there's your problem. Next time order it from amazon. Oh wait then you'd have to wait 3 days to play it (no patience again)

I think that's basically the bottom line. Digital downloads are for today's no patience now now now generation.

Maybe you should read your post again and wonder why I am not going to give you a reply in this thread anymore. Your lack of respect doesn't deserve to get an answer, considering that I tried to be as detailed as possible while all you did was whining about patience and write as little as possible. If you want to discuss about others' opinions you should write more than "u hav no patience lol".

Reactions: chartube12 and NEP

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
I got an imported American 3DSXL for legit games (mainly for Shin Megami Tensei IV) and a GW3DS compatible European Unit.

The US eShop will only accept US credit cards, but all other American eShops, including the Canadian, Mexican and Brazilian eShop will accept any credit card. Each country has different pricing, so sometimes you can score real bargains.

That works with European countries as well, even though everything in Europe is expensive.
Seeing as you're in Korea, you should probably be able to access the Japanese store and some others. Probably not China, though- since they got their own line of "iQue" 3DS units, and they're their own region AFAIK.

Mine's a U.S. unit though... what does shop access depend on? Region of Internet connection or the actual unit?

How can you access more than one shop on a 3DS? Never used the service, my 3DS has never been online hah.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you live in a developing country where obtaining gaems is difficult and nominally expensive, I imagine buying digital is a godsend.

Other reasons could be the whole accessibility of having all your gaems on one system or having instant access to a gaem, of which your fine to a pay premium for that immediacy.
this, new games cost here in israel about 85 euros while old games 60 euros. old as fuck games (old gen) go for 40 and below...

i can get a day 1 game for 45 euros from the e-shop itself (british eshop) or even cheaper if i get the code from game.uk or any other online retailer (even at 27 gbp), its still cheaper than getting a physical as i would need to pay for the shipment too.

there is some value for physical copies, the case, the cartridge itself, the manuals... yet actually having many games on the console without the need to go around with 20 cartridge feels better, i happen to take the train daily and i all i have to take with me is the 3ds itself and have about 6 games to play...

lastly we dont have many retailers and even if we do they dont get many games for nintendo consoles...

as for the people complaining about the games being tied to the console, i still have my ds lite working for about 6~7 years... and it went with me to the army... only the speakers dont work and thats because of a pirate guitar accessory i got for it but the audio output still does so i dont really care

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
-Find game box for game you want to play
-Find game box for game you were just playing
-Open game boxes, take out old cartridge from 3DS
-Put it in its box
-Take out new cartridge from other box, put it in 3DS
-Put away both boxes
Good luck doing all of that in 5 seconds if you don't have the boxes lying right next to you.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe you should read your post again and wonder why I am not going to give you a reply in this thread anymore. Your lack of respect doesn't deserve to get an answer, considering that I tried to be as detailed as possible while all you did was whining about patience and write as little as possible. If you want to discuss about others' opinions you should write more than "u hav no patience lol".

I can honestly see where this is coming from,Retail stores in Italy are a bitch except for a few used game stores.
It took me weeks to track down KH3D because gamestops only had one copy of them and i had to go to stores everyday until i barely found one copy, and yeah we barely have discounts here, unless you're willing to trade in 2 new games and pay like 10-20 euro for the game which isn't really worth it (which is still not avaible all the time too)
So yeah best stuff we can do here is buy digital or hunt down games from used shops, that being said i prefer physical myself and i won't go digital unless it's a free digital game or so but i just wanted to help proving his point.

Jockel

This is where you're wrong, kiddo
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mine's a U.S. unit though... what does shop access depend on? Region of Internet connection or the actual unit?

How can you access more than one shop on a 3DS? Never used the service, my 3DS has never been online hah.

You can change your location in the settings. Canadian eShop works best for me.

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought Virtue's Last Reward from eshop instead of retail, as at my local game store it was 40$ new or 35$ used, and I got it on eShop for 25$.

CandiceYaacobi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I like not having to have to switch out all of the different game carts so I prefer to download from the e-shop (I've got a large SD card in there to hold everything. My original one barely held anything). Most of the price differences are only a couple dollars which would probably be made up through shipping of the actual game so it would come out to about the same regardless. For larger titles like Pokemon and stuff, I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle and possibility that I'll have to pre-order or games are out of stock. If the game is significantly cheaper in physical form, I'll buy it but it' a rare thing for me. Eventually Nintendo lowers the DL price anyway when they realize the game isn't selling as well. It's just a matter of waiting it out.

It really comes down to the person and their preference though both options are good to have.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: rule 63 went too far nowadays