why to buy from eshop when physical prices of games are cheaper

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by dragonmaster, Oct 12, 2013.

1. dragonmaster
    OP

dragonmaster THE WALKER

Sep 9, 2005
    Greece
    well the question is quite obvious i searched for pokemon x or y on amazon uk and prices where 31gbp for a physical copy and when i searched nintendo eshop it was 39.99gbp that means digital purchase was almost 10gbp more expensive . in my opinion there is no reason to download the game as you can get a physical copy cheaper and you can use it as you want it fit or even later on sell it again.
    i want to hear opinions about the subject

2. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    If you live in a developing country where obtaining gaems is difficult and nominally expensive, I imagine buying digital is a godsend.

Other reasons could be the whole accessibility of having all your gaems on one system or having instant access to a gaem, of which your fine to a pay premium for that immediacy.

B-Blue, ForteGospel, Ammako and 2 others like this.
  3. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Doesn't have to be a developing country, can just be a foreign country.

It's stupid that they aren't tied to an account though. So so stupid.

4. Arnold0

Arnold0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 1, 2011
    France
    Vire, France
    I bought it on eShop myself because I can't go in a shop tooday, so with buying online I can already enjoy the game :-)

5. ResleyZ

ResleyZ Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty

Oct 11, 2013
    Netherlands
    Silicon Valley
    I guess most people don't get the physical copy because you can get the digital one from your own home, and you don't need to keep all your games with you.

6. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    My 2 sons are now 13 & 12 years old, yet in the past 6 months Mario Kart 7 and Luigi's Mansion 2 have gone missing completely.... now it's slightly more difficult to lose a 3DS itself, so yeah there's another advantage of digital content. However, since there's 4 of us in the house that enjoy Pokemon, I've bought 4 physical copies, as in this case it'd be difficult to trade & battle with digital copies, and me only having 2 3DS's in the house.

But on topic: digital prices are steep, but Nin (Sony, MS) have to keep retailers happy: the rrp is £39.99 so the digital price pretty much has to be the same. It's annoying but to be expected.
    Now when I see PS3 games that have an rrp of £49.99 in shops, but cost £59.99 in the PSN store, THAT'S taking the freaking piss if you ask me!

7. xBleedingSoulx

xBleedingSoulx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    I've never bought a digital copy for this exact reason, if I know a game I want is coming out I'll pre-order a physical copy as I did with Pokemon. I got it a day before it was released on the E-shop and for £5 cheaper.

8. Jockel

Jockel This is where you're wrong, kiddo

Apr 14, 2008
    Germany
    Germany
    I just bought it off the Canadian eShop for 30€ as opposed to the 45€ it costs in Germany, so I won't complain.

9. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Canada does euros?!

10. Jockel

Apr 14, 2008
    Germany
    Germany
    42 Canadian Dollars are roughly 30€. :P

11. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    How? Canadian 3DS?

12. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    is pokemon X and Y cheaper in eShop in America? I haven't updated my 3DS yet...and I don't want to for obvious reasons

13. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Digital sales are preffered for people that have little kids, hard to obtain games and people that prefer games to be on the console/handheld itself rather then loose carts/UMD's

Personally, I prefer physical copies.
    But I can see why people want digital ones.

14. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I'm going to quote myself from another thread:

15. elmoemo

elmoemo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 4, 2012
    you can always sell physical when done though

16. Jockel

Apr 14, 2008
    Germany
    Germany
    I got an imported American 3DSXL for legit games (mainly for Shin Megami Tensei IV) and a GW3DS compatible European Unit.

The US eShop will only accept US credit cards, but all other American eShops, including the Canadian, Mexican and Brazilian eShop will accept any credit card. Each country has different pricing, so sometimes you can score real bargains.

That works with European countries as well, even though everything in Europe is expensive.
    Seeing as you're in Korea, you should probably be able to access the Japanese store and some others. Probably not China, though- since they got their own line of "iQue" 3DS units, and they're their own region AFAIK.

17. yagami69

yagami69 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Mexico
    It depends, I got Mario & Luigi for 42.50 CAD (including tax) when here in Mexico is 799MXN (which today are 63.59CAD), same history for Pokemon X/Y, so will get a retail import from Gamestop in the US

Digital or not is the same at least for Mexico on most cases, is just to see from where I can import if I want good prices

18. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    so pokemon x/y are on eshop now?

19. Mariko

Mariko GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2009
    You don't seem to know which countries qualify as developing ones. If the economy can't support a game market, how can citizens of souch country afford to buy games in the first place? It's because they can't, the market isn't there to begin with. The chosen few will still have Amazon and other stores, which usually offer better prices than those of digital releases. You can often get free worldwide shipping as well.

Digital games are overpriced (not counting PC games, which are a part of pay-what-you-want bundles), and that's all there is to it. I'm sure product keys make great review copies, though.

20. Jockel

Apr 14, 2008
    Germany
    Germany
    Have been since midnight. Happy gaming!