ROM Hack [?]Why they play different sounds in Foobar2000 and VGMTrans ?

Kurausukun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the midi plugin for foobar2000 works differently than VGMTrans does (I'm not even entirely sure what VGMTrans does to play audio).

saburou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried to use NDS Sound Extractor but extracted midi sounds ware not same as foobar2000.
Can I convert mini2sf to midi using foobar2000 ?

Kurausukun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only tool I'm aware of that lets you convert SSEQ to MIDI is VGMTrans. Also, mini2sf is just an outdated format we use to play DS tracks (we use NCSF now), it's not actually what the DS uses.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have people really shifted from 2sf/mini2sf? I saw some of the early NCSF work (I think, I might be confusing another attempt I saw at another format for the DS) and was not impressed with what I saw. It seemed to be heading down some of the stranger paths for audio replication that I have seen in the hacking world, granted it was probably the easier route at the time than trying to bash the vio2sf plugins into using one of the newer desmume sound cores.

Anyway back on topic the sounds will not be the same as midi does not use the same sounds as people might have used on a given game on the DS. Some people did smash midi or some traditional sequencer setup and a sound bank (typically the DLS format, vgmtrans being able to convert sbnk into something resembling DLS -- it worked for some things but I had a hell of a time getting its output to work with openmpt where it worked fine with some other random non vgmtrans DLS files I downloaded elsewhere) and get it working with something like fl studio or awave studio (I recall seeing it in some of the guides on game specific hacking forums, possibly also pokemon hacking forums).
foobar and such should have the option to export as wave if you wanted full replication without having to hope your playback device can be coaxed into playing back s2f or whatever.

Oh and as you asked there are three main things I see that spit out midi from SSEQ
ndssndext that you have already seen
sseq2midi, a couple of versions out there including some newer stuff from loveemu
vgmtrans. loveemu decided to get the source and work on it a while back so you might have something nicer there now.

Kurausukun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how popular the shift has been, but at least over at hcs, people will generally suggest you use NCSF. It's a good deal faster than 2sf, and sometimes it gets rid of weird inaccuracies that happen in 2sf.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: what are you currently playing?