Misc How to extract BGM from a streamed DS game, which has no uploads or previous conversions online.

hux39

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm familiar with ripping, but there's this one game I'm trying to extract audio from: "Victorious: Hollywood Arts Debut." It was a game based off of the television show, "Victorious." I own the cartridge of this game and already have extracted the game into a NDS file. I tried using VGMTrans with this file, but I released that this game uses streamed instead of sequenced music. It has lower quality/compressed versions of the instrumentals of some of the songs from the show. I don't really care if they are lower quality because they were fit into the game but I'd like to be able to get them out of the game and get it converted to a playable file type. I dunno if Foobar would help with this... ...this...

Thanks in advance,
hux39 (Hux)

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like the game uses STRM files instead of SEQ files. You can try using TinkeDSi to extract them from the .sdat file.

hux39

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much, Robz! Big fan of your work by the way! Appreciate it!
Post automatically merged:

1694992862660.png

Upon further inspection, there is no SDAT file in this game, which leads to the other two file types in this game. DATA and URF, URF is most likely it but how would this be converted? This a unknown file type to me, as I've never seen it before.

Last edited by hux39,
Reactions: RocketRobz

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it is streamed (and long form songs will tend to be) then loop back options with emulators rear their heads.

It appears to be shared extension with other possibly non audio things (granted I have not looked at the game) which could mean nothing but could also be an archive format the devs chose for this game (or whatever mobile phone thing they chose to port for this) which would mean tackling that first.

If you want to rip for your listening pleasure (and loop back on a sound test or something is not the way) then I do have to note that the DS uses PCM and ADPCM audio at hardware level which is what any vaguely sensible dev would have played to. This then means you can do raw imports with something like audacity.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-with-extracting-sounds-from-the-sims-2-ds.629326/ was a similar thread the other week covering what goes and some things you might use to speed it up/make life easier.

Reactions: DanTheManMS

LandonAndEmma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much, Robz! Big fan of your work by the way! Appreciate it!
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 394469
Upon further inspection, there is no SDAT file in this game, which leads to the other two file types in this game. DATA and URF, URF is most likely it but how would this be converted? This a unknown file type to me, as I've never seen it before.
I used a hex editor, and ripped each sort of file and it seems it used formats used in SDATs, I'm used the MySims Racing game of course and it uses the same names for files, so I assume they are the same type. So just copy the files aka start from each header of the file inside of it until you hit another header.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto