Why the Lack of Wii U Homebrew and Ports?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The fact that Nintendo wasted the time, money, and resources to port over WindWaker HD and Twilight Princess HD to the Wii U and not the Switch still baffles me. We need those 2 games next, and the TP version needs to be the Wii version, not the stupid inferior GameCube version again.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that Nintendo wasted the time, money, and resources to port over WindWaker HD and Twilight Princess HD to the Wii U and not the Switch still baffles me. We need those 2 games next, and the TP version needs to be the Wii version, not the stupid inferior GameCube version again.
skyward sword is a disaster, because the gyro is constantly out of sync. it's a good game from what I remember, but shit like that is just plain annoying.

Reactions: Jayro

Pixelise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I only really hope for more plugins down the line. Like maybe some plugin that improves the vWii picture quality or somehow enables FULL RGB color range

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
I only really hope for more plugins down the line. Like maybe some plugin that improves the vWii picture quality or somehow enables FULL RGB color range
Both things seems a bit difficult to make, specially the vWii one.
I checked the Wii U internal settings and there is some unused stuff like HDMI-CEC support, (at least, you can't configure it with Sytem Settings), but it doesn't do much, it just starts up your TV with the console, but it doesn't turn it off. There was no sight of RGB settings though, so I think a homebrew that can talk directly to the Panasonic HDMI controller of the Wii U would be needed. (I don't think it will be easy to do).

As for vWii, I don't think it can be improved more than what the Wii U upscaling does.
An interpreter like "Nintendont 2" could be possible, but it's not realistic, the Wii U CPU can run natively Wii software, and the GPU is powerful enough to render Wii games at HD resolution (and maybe a bit more than that). But like some other user said, the GX2 GPU is a pain to work with due to lack of documentation, so considering the amount of effort one would have to do to keep that rolling it's not worth it.

I do wonder if maybe a co-processing with GX and the Wii U GPU would be possible though, maybe that could offload stuff from the Wii U GPU for this... but honestly, I don't know about that.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skyward sword is a disaster, because the gyro is constantly out of sync. it's a good game from what I remember, but shit like that is just plain annoying.
Without going the sensor bar route, there was really never any hope of the game handling any better than how it does on the Switch as it is. In that regard, I suppose that 3D Zelda title above all others was best fit for an HD version on the Wii U. Small shame they only put it on the Switch, but in the Wii U's time, it probably would have been seen as much too soon for that game to already get a remaster.

Reactions: Jayro and godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23HgOvEYrDc