epicCreations.or

OP
Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
I've already tried that... It got jammed in the SD slot and I couldn't get it out. What a waste, considering I went through the trouble to get the shell off...
wink.gif
Honestly, though, a lack of a Slot 1 emulator is what breaks the deal for me. Otherwise, I'd totally go for buying a DSi. Maybe even the XL
laugh.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
epicCreations.org said:
Besides, I'm just going to do it for the sake of doing it.
tongue.gif
That's the spirit.
For me, emulators has to emulate, not plays games flawlessly.

If you want the challenge to create the emulator, I'm sure it's for the fun to understand and program it until you manage to reproduce the gba mechanism, whatever the speed will be.

It makes me remember the first version of PcSX2 (PS2 emulator for PC) where the readme explained something like that "it emulates the communication between CPU and FPU, so it's an emulator, but don't even dare to load a game like GT3 and think you can play it. You can't !" the only game that worked were homebrews demo.

Here is their FAQ first question :
Q: Why doesn't XYZ game work?
A: Because pcsx2 can't play games, simple
smile.gif

So, don't worry about the playability. If you want to do it, just do it. And you will certainly learn a lot from it.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
ZeWarrior said:
Arkansaw said:
DeltaBurnt said:
Arkansaw said:
Doesn't need to, DS can play GBA games...

Not pirated GBA games.

He's wants to know how to play GBA games with a normal slot-1 flashcart.

use a GBA flashcart, duh

Try inserting a GBA Flashcart into my DSi.

Try inserting a NDS Flashcart into my GBA.

epicCreations.or

OP
Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
epicCreations.org said:
Besides, I'm just going to do it for the sake of doing it.
tongue.gif
That's the spirit.
For me, emulators has to emulate, not plays games flawlessly.

If you want the challenge to create the emulator, I'm sure it's for the fun to understand and program it until you manage to reproduce the gba mechanism, whatever the speed will be.

It makes me remember the first version of PcSX2 (PS2 emulator for PC) where the readme explained something like that "it emulates the communication between CPU and FPU, so it's an emulator, but don't even dare to load a game like GT3 and think you can play it. You can't !" the only game that worked were homebrews demo.

Here is their FAQ first question :
Q: Why doesn't XYZ game work?
A: Because pcsx2 can't play games, simple
smile.gif

So, don't worry about the playability. If you want to do it, just do it. And you will certainly learn a lot from it.
I'm completely new at this "real programming" thing, so I'm actually just trying to get stuff working.

By the way, does anyone know of any opensource GBA emulators? I'd like to a learn a little about how they do it...
wink.gif

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A very long time ago there was a proof of concept of GBA emulation on the NDS. This would be at least two years+ old, and was shown off here at GBAtemp with video. It was shown playing Wario Land 4 with no sound and if I recall correctly some strange graphical bugs. I've searched many times on Google to find it again, with no luck. I have multiple sources who remember it as well, but can't recall what it was called or where it is now. It was apparently the absolute best you could do with the CPU/RAM constraints for emulation, a pure tech demo that I'm not even sure was released.

Edit: It may have been GBAXDS which was a hoax, but I'm not sure.

epicCreations.or

OP
Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Interesting. Perhaps if this project is started (or, God forbid, successful), then an actual demo could be released, so that it's shown not to be a hoax.
tongue.gif

EDIT: Just downloaded the VBA source. I'll be looking into it and getting myself confused. If anyone else would like to join, feel free to.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to get the files for the DSiCKBF without letting it access the internet? All my programs are internet crippled, so I'd have to download it manually into the directory for it to work...

Davess

On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)
Trophies
Website
www.daviddavid.webs.com
XP
Country
Canada
epicCreations.org said:
Hmm. Interesting. Perhaps if this project is started (or, God forbid, successful), then an actual demo could be released, so that it's shown not to be a hoax.
Don't aim for Gba Rom playability (At first glance), Work on gba homebrew playability First, To prove that it can be done.

Hell, i'll try to help, but i'm still learning C++ (Very rusty
frown.gif
)

Davess

epicCreations.or

OP
Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
Davess said:
epicCreations.org said:
Don't aim for Gba Rom playability (At first glance), Work on gba homebrew playability First, To prove that it can be done.
Yeah, that's what I'm aiming for. Just being able to run anything would be a miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up +1