Hacking Why should I flash CFW

laserbeak43

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just bought my daughter a N2DSXL for her birthday. Thinking about flashing cfw, but aside from backing up my ROMs I can't even remember why I flashed mine. Is there a benefit to doing this these days?

If I have the latest Luma, is it safe for me to add her to my friend list and play games with her?

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a benefit to doing this these days?
Custom themes, run every 3DS & DSi homebrew ever made (aside from a9lh .bins, but those are ancient), emulation, mods, and cheats. Can't even get banned unless you cheat or pirate games before they come out.
If I have the latest Luma, is it safe for me to add her to my friend list and play games with her?
Yep.

Reactions: laserbeak43

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just bought my daughter a N2DSXL for her birthday. Thinking about flashing cfw, but aside from backing up my ROMs I can't even remember why I flashed mine. Is there a benefit to doing this these days?
Playing backups is the only significant reason to install CFW, in my opinion.

You're not going to hurt her 2DS by doing so, if that's what you're asking.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly for the average user playing backups is literally the only good reason to hack your system. There's other reasons if you are a tinkerer or a researcher, but most of the time it's just game backups.
You are safe to add her and play multiplayer games, Nintendo really hasn't cracked down on modified systems for quite some time now. There are no risks from hacking your system(s)
Also best guide
https://3ds.hacks.guide

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh, don't forget to check themeplaza.eu, it's got a lot of themes & your daughter might like those, I know my sister has a poplio theme on hers. Just install the themes with Anemone (which is set up in 3ds.hacks.guide iirc)

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. People answered. With... like... useful stuff. Too late, I guess, but my answer would have been "If you have to ask, then you shouldn't".

That isn't being mean, either. Too many people brick their systems because they don't know what they're doing, or they let their children (who don't know what they're doing) play with it. Installing b9s gives you the ability to do pretty much anything with your system software, as well as run any code. This includes deleting a system file that's required for your system to work. This is just one of many examples. Some people really shouldn't do it.

And don't let anybody fool you. Themes are fun to play with, but NOBODY hacks a 3DS just because they want themes. Stealing games, playing emulators (my favorite reason), and the ability to cheat, probably covers the MAIN reason(s) for 99%.

Last edited by urherenow,

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too many people brick their systems because they don't know what they're doing
tl;dr don't do stupid things like deleting system titles
or they let their children (who don't know what they're doing) play with it.
How exactly would someone unknowingly enter godmode9, go into ctrnand, select important system files, delete them, and then correctly input the sequence? If you really want, you can always just use SafeMode9.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That isn't being mean, either. Too many people brick their systems because they don't know what they're doing, or they let their children (who don't know what they're doing) play with it. Installing b9s gives you the ability to do pretty much anything with your system software, as well as run any code. This includes deleting a system file that's required for your system to work. This is just one of many examples. Some people really shouldn't do it.
What are you talking about, there lots of tutorials that guide you like you are a baby.... No way to mess up, if you know how to read....

Also to delete a system file, YOU MUST WANT to delete it... It doesn't happen by Accident...

CFW a N2DSXL is the best thing to do it with... You can play 3ds backups, DS backups (nds-bootstrap, so no need for a flashcart), GBA backups (DS mode, which means native), GB and GBC backups (VC). Snes (VC), NES (VC), Genesis (Picodrive), and older consoles...
For 140 dollars is a bargain... a cheaply made pi "gameboy" like the retrostone will cost you like 240 dollars.. for a buggier system with more chances to overheat it... With the only extra, that you can play psx games...

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
In fact, installing CFW in your 3DS opens up the possibility to play an extremely high number of games, so big in fact that you can end up not deciding which one to play and you end up not playing any game after you have gather all of them. (GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, and other VC titles and injects)

Amazing portable machine!

Reactions: SCOTT0852

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In fact, installing CFW in your 3DS opens up the possibility to play an extremely high number of games, so big in fact that you can end up not deciding which one to play and you end up not playing any game after you have gather all of them. (GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, and other VC titles and injects)

Amazing portable machine!
Indeed. I still wonder why people pay like 200 to 300 for Pi portable console when for 100 to 200 you can get a brand new N2DSXL, a used N3DSXL or a used PSP Vita... All 3 can beat the crap out any PI portable console... If playing 5th gen games is a must then the Vita is the option...

Hell even the GPD XD Plus, can be found for even less money than one those pi portable consoles...

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wouldn't undersell the backing up of games--it's nice to be able to play games you bought 20 years ago--, but there's also backing up/transferring of saves and probable future support for 3rd party servers whenever NIntendo stops supporting online multiplayer for games (that seems much sooner than later). I'd also agree with the suggestion of homebrew as there's some nice ports of games for the 3DS: Hydra Castle Labyrinth, Open Tyrian, and a few others.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there's also backing up/transferring of saves
So much this. Having full control over your save data is a glorious thing – especially since it's not impossible for SD cards to fail and it's a little too easy to trigger Anti Savegame Restore on the titles that use it. (It wouldn't be quite so bad if you suddenly couldn't save your game anymore after putting in hundreds of hundreds of hours – but no, those games just flat-out refuse to load your save data anymore. I can understand why the feature was implemented in the first place, since it would be trivial to do things like the cloning of Pokemon or valuable Animal Crossing items otherwise – but it's still rubbish.)

So I'm very glad that JKSM runs in *hax mode, so this valuable feature is accessible without having to install CFW. Too bad it doesn't work for Mii Plaza. And I'm glad fuse-3DS is a thing, since that lets you back up decrypted data (almost) without any hacking at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-