Why not up the avatar and sig file size limit?

notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When it comes to internet speed, there are 3 camps, dial up, broadband, and mobile. Mobile users would most likely use gbatemp lite or w/e, so they don't count. Dial up users have around 4KB/s speed, so it would take them 10 seconds to load one avatar anyways, so they shouldn't count either
biggrin.gif
. I am a broadband user, and living in the US, where it is typical for people to have slow broadband speed, but for only $25 a month I get ~333KB/s (yes a capital B
ohmy.gif
), so I'll just consider this a general minimum among 95% of broadband users. Now assuming I load a page where everyone has an avatar and sig totaling an average of 100KB a person, It'd take me 3 seconds to load a page, and thats assuming I have never seen anyone's avatar / sig before... Aren't the current restrictions a little silly for a website mainly used to help people manage their downloaded media? I'm not saying we should eliminate the size limit, but merely reduce how much it limits an avatar / signature (and maybe just making it a flat total? ie 150KB avatar, 0KB sig). IDK just my opinion

Reactions: Margen67

benchma®k

Trophies
XP
Country
Have to say i agree with you.. the actual dimentions of the sig is fine... i think most people can work something into 400x100 pixels. Getting the image size down to 50kb is a bit tricky though.. especially if you want to add a tiny bit of animation.

I couldnt comment on how big the file size should or could be. But i do think 50kb is a little too small.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Agreed. Not sure about everyone's opinion but I'd sometimes like to have a sig that's over 50kb. And the dimensions are fine, oversized sigs are pointless.

Maybe even something like if you have 0-200 posts you get the regular file size, and every 200 posts or something you get larger.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
First of all, notnarb, love the Rayne Summers avatar. More people should read Least I Could Do. And on the topic at hand, we're actually more lenient than you may think. 50kb may be the official limit, but many of the staff will let it slide if it's say... 57 or 60. We just don't want people going overboard with the sizes, because not everyone has a fast connection, and this place already slows down enough as it is for even those of us with highspeed, on busy days.
lecture.gif

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The file sizes are fine. It's called optimization. And if we upped the limit, people would still go over and say "we need moar!" until everyone has 2 meg ava animations like other sites i go to and take a year and a half to load.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
How can you *not* fit a picture into 100x140/50 KByte? Ever heard of compression? And, TBH, people should keep the animation to myspace... most of the avatars are ugly enough as still frames already, I wouldn't want to have to look at them animated.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why not Limit the number of guests on GBATemp that can access it at any one time. I was on last night and it had 700 guests on and 350 actual members
laugh.gif
It was running really slow because of it as well.

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I totally understand the bandwidth issue, but perhaps easy the limitations on off site files.
Yeah, if you are on a site where everyone pirates games which weigh in at an average of 64MB (stfu if the average isn't 64MB), a 100KB avatar really wouldn't make so much of a difference for off site ones.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
not everyone pirates games
happy.gif

thats a poor assumption.

an even poorer assumption is that all pirates download their games. perhaps they have friends who pass on the files via harddrives etc.

just to be nitpicky
tongue.gif

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
stfu.
The _majority_ of members download games.
Either way, larger off site avaters doesn't increase load on the servers, infact, it would probably reduce it, because people would be more inclined to have bigger avatars, which they could host off site.

Bourbanog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No....

Massive animated avatars are annoying and just steal my bandwidth.

I live in Australia, we have high prices for some of the slowest speeds in the western world.

I usually just Adblock annoying avatars anyway.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I think GBAtemps limits are alright, some forums I go to have limits at 20kbs and they can just go get fucked
tongue.gif

Plus GBAtemp is a busy place, I don't think it's fair to ask for a significant increase

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Jayro @ Jayro: Thanks for that bundle, I had the games already but got all the DLC for them for just $5. What a... +1