Why No Dedicated PC Section?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by PityOnU, Jul 1, 2013.

1. PityOnU
    OP

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Although each console gets its own subforum and sub-subforums keeping everything nice and organized, the sections related to PC gaming on this site are not as well defined.

There are a few members here (myself included) who are pretty handy and timely with offering advice to individuals who come here with queries related to their computer. Why not make a dedicated PC subforum? I think it would help to bring in a lot more traffic, new discussions, etc.

Obviously, GBATemp is much more console oriented, but with so many gamers switching to PC nowadays why not branch out?

2. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
  3. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I thought Computer Games and Technology was the section for PC games and such affairs.

I suppose more it is pretty hard to split things up here unless you already know the answer and a constant flurry of "wrong section" does not do so well. I could possibly see computer games and non gaming related computer discussions but I am not going to argue hard for it if for no other reason than you can not really separate the two that well.

5. PityOnU
    OP

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Thanks, sorry. Talk about egg on my face.

Yes, that's one forum. For everything related to PC's. Here's the layout of the Xbox 360 section:

|-Microsoft Xbox 360 Discussions
    |---Xbox 360 - Games & Content
    |---Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware
    |---Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew
    |---Xbox 360 - Scene Releases
    |---Xbox 360 - Tutorials & FAQs

Here's the layout of the PC section:

|-Computers and shit, yo

6. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Is there really enough PC content being posted on this site to warrant the addition of several new subforums? Personally I'd say there isn't.

7. PityOnU
    OP

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    I'm not certain, I'll leave it up to you guys.

Obviously GBATemp is console focused, but I think there are enough knowledgeable regulars here that a PC culture could be cultivated given the proper room to grow.

I would say that most people who access this site access it via PC, right?

8. Law

Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

Aug 14, 2007
    ‭jerkland
    I dunno that Wii U web browser is hot, hot, hot!

To be honest, I'm not seeing a whole lot of activity in general? Haven't been around for a while so maybe its just an off time. Summer vacation though so I'd expect a bunch of kids to be talking about mario or pokemon or something. If you want to talk PC gaming, there are other more focused forums you could try.

9. PityOnU
    OP

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Right, but that's what I'm saying. Lots of members here are PC gamers, but don't post about their PC gaming here. They must go somewhere else!

Why not accommodate them here?

The reward for the latest contest was Steam vouchers, guys.

10. naved.islam14

naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sep 12, 2009
    Gotham
    Down with the PC Master Race!

Satangel likes this.
  11. Law

Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

Aug 14, 2007
    ‭jerkland
    Personally I stopped posting here because it just wasn't a very active forum. If I want to go talk PC games I can go do it over in the Games section of SomethingAwful, which actually sees a lot of people posting, sharing, discussing, and having fun. It's not something this place seems to have any more (or ever had, in regards to the PC section)

12. PityOnU
    OP

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    I see.

Well I'll leave it up to what you guys think is best. At the end of the day, everything that's done here is a community effort, so if this is not something that is desired by the community then that's OK.

Either way, I'll be kicking around for a while, and will be continuing to respond to questions/posts/etc. in the PC forum we have now to the best of my ability.

13. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    I don't think there's enough activity in the PC forums, and when there is it's mostly computer help, not game discussion.

14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I have a gaming PC and consoles, but I'm not complaining. If I ever need help (which isn't very often), there are other resources our there. It's not the end of the word if GBA Temp doesn't have an extensive section for PCs.

15. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    it would be cool to have an emulation section

16. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I have heard your suggestion. We could perhaps make the PC section as important as the other console sections.
    GBAtemp's member base is traditionally console oriented, but there's no denying that a lot of PC gamers are around too.
    We could have a PC Help subforum vs a PC Gaming subforum. And maybe more...

nukeboy95 likes this.
  17. PityOnU
    OP

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Thanks for listening!

Obviously, I'm operating under the "if you build it, they will come" principle, but based on the feedback of others I may be incorrect.

Costello likes this.
  18. spiritofcat

spiritofcat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 20, 2007
    Perhaps it's a case of supply and demand.
    It could be that the lack of individual sub-categories in the PC section is part of the reason why there's so little activity there.
    If the PC section was split up into Games, Hardware, Hacking, Releases and Help sub-categories like all the other platforms are then maybe the PC gamers would feel more inclined to post stuff.
    Even if it didn't make any immediate difference, it wouldn't cost much in terms of effort and resources to do it anyway would it?

19. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    I don't think it'd go unused, but yeah segregating the gaming and tech help stuff wouldn't be bad. It'd free up sticky space in the gaming section (since all the tech ones would be elsewhere), people could have more normal discussion threads for things that are currently-limited (minecraft, etc.)

20. Sop

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    So what are everyone's thoughts on the Diablo 3 auction houses?

I personally don't like them.

Torchlight 2 > Diablo 3