Why No Dedicated PC Section?

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although each console gets its own subforum and sub-subforums keeping everything nice and organized, the sections related to PC gaming on this site are not as well defined.

There are a few members here (myself included) who are pretty handy and timely with offering advice to individuals who come here with queries related to their computer. Why not make a dedicated PC subforum? I think it would help to bring in a lot more traffic, new discussions, etc.

Obviously, GBATemp is much more console oriented, but with so many gamers switching to PC nowadays why not branch out?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought Computer Games and Technology was the section for PC games and such affairs.

I suppose more it is pretty hard to split things up here unless you already know the answer and a constant flurry of "wrong section" does not do so well. I could possibly see computer games and non gaming related computer discussions but I am not going to argue hard for it if for no other reason than you can not really separate the two that well.

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks, sorry. Talk about egg on my face.

Yes, that's one forum. For everything related to PC's. Here's the layout of the Xbox 360 section:

|-Microsoft Xbox 360 Discussions
|---Xbox 360 - Games & Content
|---Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware
|---Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew
|---Xbox 360 - Scene Releases
|---Xbox 360 - Tutorials & FAQs

Here's the layout of the PC section:

|-Computers and shit, yo

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thanks, sorry. Talk about egg on my face.

Yes, that's one forum. For everything related to PC's. Here's the layout of the Xbox 360 section:

|-Microsoft Xbox 360 Discussions
|---Xbox 360 - Games & Content
|---Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware
|---Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew
|---Xbox 360 - Scene Releases
|---Xbox 360 - Tutorials & FAQs

Here's the layout of the PC section:

|-Computers and shit, yo

Is there really enough PC content being posted on this site to warrant the addition of several new subforums? Personally I'd say there isn't.

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there really enough PC content being posted on this site to warrant the addition of several new subforums? Personally I'd say there isn't.

I'm not certain, I'll leave it up to you guys.

Obviously GBATemp is console focused, but I think there are enough knowledgeable regulars here that a PC culture could be cultivated given the proper room to grow.

I would say that most people who access this site access it via PC, right?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
I dunno that Wii U web browser is hot, hot, hot!

To be honest, I'm not seeing a whole lot of activity in general? Haven't been around for a while so maybe its just an off time. Summer vacation though so I'd expect a bunch of kids to be talking about mario or pokemon or something. If you want to talk PC gaming, there are other more focused forums you could try.

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno that Wii U web browser is hot, hot, hot!

To be honest, I'm not seeing a whole lot of activity in general? Haven't been around for a while so maybe its just an off time. Summer vacation though so I'd expect a bunch of kids to be talking about mario or pokemon or something. If you want to talk PC gaming, there are other more focused forums you could try.

Right, but that's what I'm saying. Lots of members here are PC gamers, but don't post about their PC gaming here. They must go somewhere else!

Why not accommodate them here?

The reward for the latest contest was Steam vouchers, guys.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Right, but that's what I'm saying. Lots of members here are PC gamers, but don't post about their PC gaming here. They must go somewhere else!

Why not accommodate them here?

The reward for the latest contest was Steam vouchers, guys.

Personally I stopped posting here because it just wasn't a very active forum. If I want to go talk PC games I can go do it over in the Games section of SomethingAwful, which actually sees a lot of people posting, sharing, discussing, and having fun. It's not something this place seems to have any more (or ever had, in regards to the PC section)

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I stopped posting here because it just wasn't a very active forum. If I want to go talk PC games I can go do it over in the Games section of SomethingAwful, which actually sees a lot of people posting, sharing, discussing, and having fun. It's not something this place seems to have any more (or ever had, in regards to the PC section)

I see.

Well I'll leave it up to what you guys think is best. At the end of the day, everything that's done here is a community effort, so if this is not something that is desired by the community then that's OK.

Either way, I'll be kicking around for a while, and will be continuing to respond to questions/posts/etc. in the PC forum we have now to the best of my ability.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a gaming PC and consoles, but I'm not complaining. If I ever need help (which isn't very often), there are other resources our there. It's not the end of the word if GBA Temp doesn't have an extensive section for PCs.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I have heard your suggestion. We could perhaps make the PC section as important as the other console sections.
GBAtemp's member base is traditionally console oriented, but there's no denying that a lot of PC gamers are around too.
We could have a PC Help subforum vs a PC Gaming subforum. And maybe more...

Reactions: nukeboy95

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have heard your suggestion. We could perhaps make the PC section as important as the other console sections.
GBAtemp's member base is traditionally console oriented, but there's no denying that a lot of PC gamers are around too.
We could have a PC Help subforum vs a PC Gaming subforum. And maybe more...

Thanks for listening!

Obviously, I'm operating under the "if you build it, they will come" principle, but based on the feedback of others I may be incorrect.

Reactions: Costello

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
Perhaps it's a case of supply and demand.
It could be that the lack of individual sub-categories in the PC section is part of the reason why there's so little activity there.
If the PC section was split up into Games, Hardware, Hacking, Releases and Help sub-categories like all the other platforms are then maybe the PC gamers would feel more inclined to post stuff.
Even if it didn't make any immediate difference, it wouldn't cost much in terms of effort and resources to do it anyway would it?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it'd go unused, but yeah segregating the gaming and tech help stuff wouldn't be bad. It'd free up sticky space in the gaming section (since all the tech ones would be elsewhere), people could have more normal discussion threads for things that are currently-limited (minecraft, etc.)

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
So what are everyone's thoughts on the Diablo 3 auction houses?

I personally don't like them.

Torchlight 2 > Diablo 3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...