Why is there no dislike button?

1B51004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No ill intent, just was curious of no dislike. Youtube has it (although it may be getting removed soon), Reddit has a system similar to a like/dislike button, Am I just missing something or was it removed?

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Most of the staff here is opposed to ever having a dislike button. Given how people have abused the like button for spam in the past, there's no doubt they'd spam the dislike function. Having a dislike function also tends to make users wary of posting--what if their opinion is unpopular and they get a ton of dislikes for it? They might not want to comment because of it. As a forum, it's best to allow as much conversation as possible. If a comment is against the rules, it'll get deleted, and if a comment is wrong, I'm sure 50 people will step up with the correct information.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many years ago, I hit the dislike button on a comment in a Youtube video because at the time I felt that public cursing was not nice. Then I realized the comment I disliked was came from my best friend. The video was something I accidentally came across. Oops.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There isn't a dislike button because it will co-exist with cyber bullying. But then again reddit have the downvoting button so idk i

1B51004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont use reddit lol, i was just using examples. I couldn't think of any other sites that use it since they either removed it or took it away completely.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Emotional Support Twink
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly, dislike buttons tend to get abused a lot on many sites and it would definitely get abused on the Temp. I could easily see members dogpiling and dislike bombing someone just for stupid reasons. Sites that used to have a dislike button had this issue and sites that still do are still dealing with this issue.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've brought this up in the past. I think it would be good to minimize arguments on threads by letting people blow off steam from dumb comments without getting too keyboard smash-y, but the staff does not share the sentiment.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chary's response is my thinking as well. I typically don't post opinions, because it's just going to piss someone(s) off.

General chit-chat
Help Users
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: +1