Hacking Why is noflashme for DS lite not released?

Timo710

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also some people reported a DS lite with an old firmware noflashme installed will make DS downloadplay not working just like pictochat will stop functioning , I guess there is no option for you and with that in mind I would like to request a Mod locking this topic , cause this is a useless discussion.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Or Nintendo might follow suit as Sony and make new games which restores a DS firmware to its original state(before using FlashME), and maybe the game would pretend doing nothing or do this while saving... Lots of possibilities:D

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
ExtremeCoder: Won't happen. Correct me if I'm wrong but altering the firmware requires shorting the sl1.
smile.gif

Back on-topic, I'm surprised that noflashme lite doesn't exist yet. Developer losing interest makes sense, I guess there's not much demand for it. Just seems kinda strange.

I believe that there's nothing stopping you from grabbing the original DS Lite firmware and rewriting the DS's flash memory.
If it was that easy I'm sure someone would've done it by now. (or is it that easy, which is why no-one sees the need to make a specific program to do it?)

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
If Loopy (FlashMe developer) has lost interest, it would be nice if he could release his notes on how to create it, so that someone else could update it.

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I agree that noflashme Lite would be a really useful piece of software to have available. I'm a huge proponent of flashing your DS, but I definitely feel that the end-user should have the option of reversing available to them, if for no other reason than peace of mind for warranty purposes. Yes, I think most of us here reognize from past users' accounts that sending a blatantly flashed or stealth flashed DS into Nintendo for repair work very probably won't get you in any sort of trouble, and you'll still be helped like any other customer. But having the issue on the radar at all is something of a skid mark on FlashMe's otherwise pristine symphony of awesomeness.

More than anything, it would just be nice to have it available when explaining the FlashMe method to people new to DS hacking. I hate not having a good answer when someone asks "well if it's completely safe, why isn't the process completely reversible?". And discontinued development at this stage in the game could spell bad news if FlashMe'd DS's have some sort of issue connecting with the Wii. What's to say they'll pick the reigns back up and write some software that fixes Wii connectivity? It might be deemed trivial enough to ignore, especially if only a couple of Wii titles make use of the feature.

All that said, I'm a FlashMe proponent through and through. PassCards are cheaper if you can buy one amonst ten people and hand it off.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Please, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an expert:

1. There is a tool which allows firmware dumping, so original DS Lite firmware could be dumped by anyone (well maybe not a truly factory firmware because of first boot preference settings wizard kicking in, but this is a minor problem)
2. Locations of the several original firmwares in noflashme.nds are well known
3. Could it be possible to remove/replace all those firmwares in noflashme.nds and use only this newly dumped DS Lite firmware?

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
with that in mind I would like to request a Mod locking this topic , cause this is a useless discussion.

this is an informative discussion that is probably helping someone make the decision to flash or not...why would they want to close it?
Just because we cant undo what he's done, doesnt mean we shouldnt give pertanant information to those who still havent made the decision to flash..

I have a passcard, but only one, and it needs to be in my DS for the games to load right? but i only have one flash cart, and i wanna play my gf on her DS, but i would need to flash one. and this topic has already made me realize i should wait to see if another programmer is going to pick up where loopy left off and make a new one.

Rhyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new here.
(HI!)
I want to flash my lite, but I'm worried it might go insane and die.

Juuuust kidding.

I'm afraid of bricking my Lite.
Plain and simple. I don't want my 130 bucks to diiiiiie.
I don't have enough self confidence to do this.
And is it installable from an EZ-Flash V?
'Cause that's what I got. Or is in the mail...

Thanks!

Madrigal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm new here.
(HI!)
I want to flash my lite, but I'm worried it might go insane and die.

Juuuust kidding.

I'm afraid of bricking my Lite.
Plain and simple. I don't want my 130 bucks to diiiiiie.
I don't have enough self confidence to do this.
And is it installable from an EZ-Flash V?
'Cause that's what I got. Or is in the mail...

Thanks!
There is no need to flash with the EZ-Flash V. It has a built in passme anyway. Why risk bricking your DS and voiding the warranty for nothing?

Rhyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can avoid Trojans. Face it, I'm paranoid.
On another note (not related),
this site has the same setup as
DGemu.com.
The reason I say this is that all of their ROMs are safe.
But I'm still worried about homebrews, like Nitrotracker and
DSLinux. And the Game maker for DS.
And pretty much everything.

Madrigal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
No one has been hit by a trojan in well over a year, and it was only like 5 people. You have a far greater risk trying to flash your DS than from any "phantom" trojan out there.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have flashme installed on my DS Lite for a few reasons. One being that I like the fact that the health and safety screens are removed, second being that the DS *can* be restored if ever hit by a trojan, and third: It is a requirement if you use the DS-Link, which happens to be my slot1 solution of choice.

Now, I realize that the mk4-mini can be used and then swapped with the DS-Link, but that is just not as smooth as using flashme.....so for me not an option. And the trojan ordeal...yeah...maybe it only hit a handful of people. Maybe it'll never happen again. Maybe? At least I know *definitely* that it will at least never happen to my device!

EDIT: BTW, you CAN unflash a DS Lite using the DS-Link. I posted more about this over at SCdev. You basically need a DS-Link, the software that backs up firmware from their website, and a way to boot the DS-Link on an unflashed device (ie: MK4-Mini, MK4-Key or SCDS with MK4 dump). Back up the unflashed firmware, restore it on a flashed DS Lite. Works a charm...I have done it successfully as well as two mods over at scdev.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."