Why is it not possible to flash firmware?

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Come to think about it, the 3DS lets you flash about any firmware to it, even lower versions (though too low versions won't be compatible with B9S).

How come that in the Wii U, a firmware update cannot be reversed? What exactly has changed for it to not be possible even with homebrew?

AQS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Come to think about it, the 3DS lets you flash about any firmware to it, even lower versions (though too low versions won't be compatible with B9S).

How come that in the Wii U, a firmware update cannot be reversed? What exactly has changed for it to not be possible even with homebrew?

I was able to downgrade from fw 5.5.5 to 5.5.1 by flashing both SLC and MLC via a hardmod to repair a bricked console. I highly don't recommend that anyone try to do this just to downgrade your firmware version. So technically it is possible, just not easy to do.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Half-knowledge (possibly incomplete or even wrong) ahead. To the best of my knowledge:

I know of no particular downgrade protection like the efuse thing on the Switch. So I would expect this:
I was able to downgrade from fw 5.5.5 to 5.5.1 by flashing both SLC and MLC via a hardmod to repair a bricked console. I highly don't recommend that anyone try to do this just to downgrade your firmware version. So technically it is possible, just not easy to do.
to work.

===========
What we are missing on the Wii U, compared to the 3DS, is a possibility to load software instead of the normal operating system – like GodMode9. We would need an end-user ready implementation of a boot-time exploit (equivalent on the 3DS is B9S). Even the cold-boot solutions (CBHC, Tiramisu) rely on exploiting something on the main OS. If we damage the main OS, there is no way of booting into any kind of homebrew software again – for trying to fix the damage. Recovering from software bricks is way more important application than downgrading because "I want to downgrade".
Overwriting the NAND while the main OS is active doesn't sound safe to me either (again the warning: half-knowledge… or even less). For updates the Wii U boots into some kind of special mode at some point (can't quite remember, long ago that I updated a Wii U). On the other side, overwriting the vWii bank (" SLCCMPT") of the SLC NAND from Wii U mode is possible to repair a bad vWii mode.

Having all that said, there is no reason to downgrade either since homebrew/CFW related works perfectly on latest version. I personally advise against arbitrary experiments with the Wii U because of the missing safety net or brick protection – there is no way to recover without advanced soldering skills. I lost track of how often I fully bricked my testing O3DSXL (poor thing…) – and recovering even from the most extreme nonsense just means waiting a few minutes for GodMode9 to restore a good backup.

B9S uses a boot-time exploit (Sighax) and provides bootloader functionality; fully independent from the main OS. Luma3DS has limited functionality on very low versions, but works fine with 1.0.0-0 (just almost no games will start with the earliest version).

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
You restored a nand backup. That is completely different. And that's not the point from OP. You can't flash firmwares like on atmosphere (for example) via daybreak.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: