Status
Not open for further replies.

tw_fan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please do not jump to any conclusions before reading my post thoroughly !

It's been a very long time since I encountered a geniune person on here. Whenever I ask a question there's always a user slandering, attacking and harassing me based on another post, message, comment etc

Have you been through something like this as well on here ?

I don't think I'm the only person experiencing this much hate and toxicity. I actually left this forum for a whole year because of this reason

Is there actually anything effective you can do against off topic, misleading, agrresive or toxic comments ?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Lightyose

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think part of this is because Gamer culture has become extremely toxic. Gamers get upset over the smallest things and overblow everything. As a result, the communities around gaming have slowly gotten worse over the years. It also doesn't help that there are members on this site who should have been banned ages ago, like literal Neo-Nazis and White Nationalists. So now we have people like that making themselves regulars in the community and that's only introducing an entirely new level of toxic that's also, unfortunately, becoming all too commonplace in Gamer culture. This is worth clarifying that it's starting to become common to see Gamers repeating White Nationalist and Alt-Right talking points.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
1: Report that type of replies.
They are both off-topic and harassment, and will be deleted, and users have been warned, suspended, and even banned for such behavior. Report those replies and those individuals.

2: Learn to use and love the ignore function. Makes forum life so much more pleasant. Just fight the urge to click that "Show Ignored Content" button.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is not the first time I have seen this place accused of toxicity. However it would be the first time I asked and someone was able to point me at some examples. To that end please point me at some of what would consider toxic and maybe a line on why you deem it so.

I wander around most sections and generally people seem inclined to help with installing hacks, updating odd setups, fixing hardware, hacking ROMs, making cheats, suggesting games for those that like this one (or aspects of that one), talking about upcoming games/consoles/accessories, homebrew coding, and all the rest.
The politics section can get a bit hard to be in if you are not used to debating or if you are used to it and are used to your would be opponents being able to do the same (who, what, why, when, where, how, what stats there are when similar things were tried before as well as vetting the quality of sources... seemingly not being taught or something these days).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Please do not jump to any conclusions before reading my post thoroughly !

It's been a very long time since I encountered a geniune person on here. Whenever I ask a question there's always a user slandering, attacking and harassing me based on another post, message, comment etc

Have you been through something like this as well on here ?

I don't think I'm the only person experiencing this much hate and toxicity. I actually left this forum for a whole year because of this reason

Is there actually anything effective you can do against off topic, misleading, agrresive or toxic comments ?

Thanks in advance
Every popular social platform gets a lot of toxicity, a high number of active users means a higher number of toxic users, and despite being a vocal minority, those are the ones you notice the most, and as well as that, toxicity spreads. Trust me when I say that most of the user base isn't like that though.
GBAtemp is no different than anywhere else. Just look at YouTube or GameFAQs for example.

tw_fan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is not the first time I have seen this place accused of toxicity. However it would be the first time I asked and someone was able to point me at some examples. To that end please point me at some of what would consider toxic and maybe a line on why you deem it so.

I wander around most sections and generally people seem inclined to help with installing hacks, updating odd setups, fixing hardware, hacking ROMs, making cheats, suggesting games for those that like this one (or aspects of that one), talking about upcoming games/consoles/accessories, homebrew coding, and all the rest.
The politics section can get a bit hard to be in if you are not used to debating or if you are used to it and are used to your would be opponents being able to do the same (who, what, why, when, where, how, what stats there are when similar things were tried before as well as vetting the quality of sources... seemingly not being taught or something these days).
It actually happened to me countless of times. Some of my posts were even taken down because the comments got out of hand and were so off topic that no moderator could've moderated them

My previous post would actually be a great example of the toxicity I encounter many times. I'm not going to link it because I don't want this post to be more exaggerated than it already is. But you can find it by just going to my profile

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There are actually countless times when extremely hateful threads have gone hours to even days before getting closed, primarily in the politics sections. I am referring to threads literally advocating for openly White Nationalist politicians, extremely transphobic threads, and other threads of those natures. Basically, the politics section is one of the best examples of toxicity that can be found on the Temp, and worst of all, many repeat offenders are still active members of the site despite constantly doing the same thing. It does without saying that I am very familiar with the report button and my ignore list is a pretty decent amount. But it's hard to overlook these issues when you've been on the receiving end of them.

tw_fan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Every popular social platform gets a lot of toxicity, a high number of active users means a higher number of toxic users, and despite being a vocal minority, those are the ones you notice the most, and as well as that, toxicity spreads. Trust me when I say that most of the user base isn't like that though.
GBAtemp is no different than anywhere else. Just look at YouTube or GameFAQs for example.
Yeah I actually know that. It's just that my latest post got too much for me and that I remembered older posts of mine that had to be taken down because the comments got out of hand. People were accusing me for things that happened in a private chat between another user and me

In another post that had nothing to do with the messages people started spamming my posts with comments about the chat between me and the other person. I don't think that I've spoken to anyone about that post and was kind of scared to read the comments about our chat

I've been through cyber bullying several times and cyber stalking once. That's why I'm pretty insecure about toxicity online. I just can't handle it as well as in real life. I've had random strangers on a certain app, spread my first and last name and details about my father. That whole phase was very scary for me and it haunts me sometimes even if it's years ago

Many people I've encountered on here forget that there's an actual person behind an account and don't realize that they've got their own issues to deal with

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah I actually know that. It's just that my latest post got too much for me and that I remembered older posts of mine that had to be taken down because the comments got out of hand. People were accusing me for things that happened in a private chat between another user and me

In another post that had nothing to do with the messages people started spamming my posts with comments about the chat between me and the other person. I don't think that I've spoken to anyone about that post and was kind of scared to read the comments about our chat

I've been through cyber bullying several times and cyber stalking once. That's why I'm pretty insecure about toxicity online. I just can't handle it as well as in real life. I've had random strangers on a certain app, spread my first and last name and details about my father. That whole phase was very scary for me and it haunts me sometimes even if it's years ago

Many people I've encountered on here forget that there's an actual person behind an account and don't realize that they've got their own issues to deal with
So have I. I just had to learn how to ignore it, because it wasn't doing me any good getting caught up on it.

Reactions: tw_fan

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It actually happened to me countless of times. Some of my posts were even taken down because the comments got out of hand and were so off topic that no moderator could've moderated them

My previous post would actually be a great example of the toxicity I encounter many times. I'm not going to link it because I don't want this post to be more exaggerated than it already is. But you can find it by just going to my profile
I ask for a topic and you refuse to link one... great. Generally if those that might be
But anyway I assume you mean
https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-are-warez-links.574072/

I am not seeing anything I would regard as toxic there, nor attacking nor off topic. Possibly a misunderstanding with language at worst. "is there a way to download" will typically be seen as a request -- as a general rule nothing is ever truly gone, especially not nowadays (some of the earlier internet days saw some things be properly lost as nobody had backups, assumed a site would remain up, or had means to regenerate things -- give me a patched ROM and I will make you a patch from it) so someone making a thread with such a title will be assumed to at best be asking for hints.
It seems that has been resolved though and written off as a failure of language (my German is less than stellar but I can see the origin of the phrasing).

There are actually countless times when extremely hateful threads have gone hours to even days before getting closed, primarily in the politics sections. I am referring to threads literally advocating for openly White Nationalist politicians, extremely transphobic threads, and other threads of those natures. Basically, the politics section is one of the best examples of toxicity that can be found on the Temp, and worst of all, many repeat offenders are still active members of the site despite constantly doing the same thing. It does without saying that I am very familiar with the report button and my ignore list is a pretty decent amount. But it's hard to overlook these issues when you've been on the receiving end of them.
On transphobia I rarely see things get out of hand. Get the odd loudmouth, however you get it the other way and the trans lobby also calls for some really outrageous stuff (sports, laws for various things, medical interventions and timings thereof, diagnosis methods, indeed whether diagnosis is even a useful term...), has awful stats (it does seem to be a pastime in such communities to share "OMG how dangerous the world is" by means of dubious stats) or assumes stuff that is very much up for debate or in need of careful explanation. To that end I am going with draw at worst.
Some claim PMs and whatnot and while I am usually inclined to ignore such things (water off a duck's back and all that) that is not good. While I can see deleted posts we can't see PMs so I will wait on evidence there.
On closing things then shuttering things right away when there is still discussion to be had, and corrections that can be issued. Whether it started off as someone of the "ew trann1es" or some wandered by at a later date to clog up the joint the issue might still merit some discussion, or explanation if it is fact banal.

As far as white nationalist politicians (do we also have to do communist ones?) I must have missed those in the last however many years. Surprising because I am usually in a lot of the would be topics there and do also read deleted posts but it is possible.
As far as banning said same. Tricky there -- if someone wants to put "I am a purple eyes is best eyes" in their signature, title or the like then I thank them for telling me they are a moron or in a cult but whether that is grounds for a ban is a different matter (sunlight is a wonderful disinfectant and sooner or later they will realise those they are discussing games, hacking and whatnot with are that which they have come to/be taught to hate and how stupid that is).

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah @AmandaRose, your so nasty :rofl2:
You gotta love how educating someone when they do something wrong (even accidentally) is a toxic and personal attack in one opinion!

You asked a question and didn't like the answer.... And then changed the subject to mention a warning notice over a year old for some reason. Nothing else happened here. That does not mean people are being toxic towards you however, having a childish attitude about it will get you that response especially when they only tried to help you.

I do also love how this has turned into a moral debate on how to speak to people and low and behold... Someone mentioned the Nazis!! Is that not thread/game over? All rationale has been surrendered at this point.

Reactions: AmandaRose

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I ask for a topic and you refuse to link one... great. Generally if those that might be
But anyway I assume you mean
https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-are-warez-links.574072/

I am not seeing anything I would regard as toxic there, nor attacking nor off topic. Possibly a misunderstanding with language at worst. "is there a way to download" will typically be seen as a request -- as a general rule nothing is ever truly gone, especially not nowadays (some of the earlier internet days saw some things be properly lost as nobody had backups, assumed a site would remain up, or had means to regenerate things -- give me a patched ROM and I will make you a patch from it) so someone making a thread with such a title will be assumed to at best be asking for hints.
It seems that has been resolved though and written off as a failure of language (my German is less than stellar but I can see the origin of the phrasing).

On transphobia I rarely see things get out of hand. Get the odd loudmouth, however you get it the other way and the trans lobby also calls for some really outrageous stuff (sports, laws for various things, medical interventions and timings thereof, diagnosis methods, indeed whether diagnosis is even a useful term...), has awful stats (it does seem to be a pastime in such communities to share "OMG how dangerous the world is" by means of dubious stats) or assumes stuff that is very much up for debate or in need of careful explanation. To that end I am going with draw at worst.
Some claim PMs and whatnot and while I am usually inclined to ignore such things (water off a duck's back and all that) that is not good. While I can see deleted posts we can't see PMs so I will wait on evidence there.
On closing things then shuttering things right away when there is still discussion to be had, and corrections that can be issued. Whether it started off as someone of the "ew trann1es" or some wandered by at a later date to clog up the joint the issue might still merit some discussion, or explanation if it is fact banal.

As far as white nationalist politicians (do we also have to do communist ones?) I must have missed those in the last however many years. Surprising because I am usually in a lot of the would be topics there and do also read deleted posts but it is possible.
As far as banning said same. Tricky there -- if someone wants to put "I am a purple eyes is best eyes" in their signature, title or the like then I thank them for telling me they are a moron or in a cult but whether that is grounds for a ban is a different matter (sunlight is a wonderful disinfectant and sooner or later they will realise those they are discussing games, hacking and whatnot with are that which they have come to/be taught to hate and how stupid that is).
https://gbatemp.net/threads/any-fans-of-patrick-little-or-jared-taylor.520989/
Here’s a thread asking which White National candidate do people support. Reporting the thread didn’t accomplish anything and it took literally going into talking about Holocaust denialism for staff to step in.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/trumps-transgender-troop-ban-goes-into-effect.535843/
Here’s a thread that was full of transphobic comments from the OP and this member had a long history of derailing threads with transphobic comments and White Nationalist dog whistles that persisted for quite a long time before getting banned.
I could easily tag several members who have openly made neo-nazi and White Nationalist comments, including one who is still active after posting “1488.” Admittedly, trying to find most of the shittiest threads isn’t easy because many of them have been removed/hidden, but the members are still active. That being said, asking an average user for specific links that they can’t access is kind of setting them up to fail.
This is a pretty good example of toxicity, right here. Anyone who doesn't agree with this person is a Nazi.
I am referring to a few members who actually have/had posts on the Temp either out right stating they are White Nationalists
CC6D5795-5ADB-40F7-B7B9-99AAEA331D66.jpeg
Or maybe members posted actual Neo-Nazi content on the threads, like the member who posted 1488 on their wall.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol