Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
In order to cause an exploit to occur. You must cause a Buffer Overflow. Allowing the application to crash and fall back onto some code. I'm not sure how to do this with an image file, but performing it with a .mp4 is easy. On the other hand, MiiVerse includes a video player, with the MPEG Codec. Allowing things like YouTube videos to play. If you can redirect a Video, to a corrupted one you might be able to cause a buffer Overflow. I'm just speculating.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
In order to cause an exploit to occur. You must cause a Buffer Overflow. Allowing the application to crash and fall back onto some code. I'm not sure how to do this with an image file, but performing it with a .mp4 is easy. On the other hand, MiiVerse includes a video player, with the MPEG Codec. Allowing things like YouTube videos to play. If you can redirect a Video, to a corrupted one you might be able to cause a buffer Overflow. I'm just speculating.
Buffer overflows are not needed. :3

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
How? I remember using them, especially in early Wii U exploits.
There are several ways to exploit stuff. Undocumented APIs, bad memory permissions letting you write where you shouldn't, integer overflows for index values, plain old not checking inputs, stack overflows, buffer over and underflows, type confusion, abusing hardware DMA, use after free.

Lots of things are possible. IIRC the Stagefright stuff is an interger overflow. I know for a fact that the Pegasus thing uses a use after free to create a flat array that is 0xFFFFFFFF bytes long and starts at 0x00000000.

Reactions: Dr.Hacknik

Wolfer473

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
set it as proxy
Yeah lol I figured it out right after I posted that. I'm now banned from Miiverse and eShop. Can't tell if it's because I was trying to replace an eShop video and it detected an invalid certificate or because the NNU-Patcher stopped working while I was still in the eShop.

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
In order to cause an exploit to occur. You must cause a Buffer Overflow. Allowing the application to crash and fall back onto some code. I'm not sure how to do this with an image file,.

Several things to check, I wrote a decoder in python 4 or 5 years ago, so it is a bit vague, but from what I remember... You can check how it handles the memory situation by creating pngs that deflate quite large through several methods. Each chunk can be 4mb, there are 4 primrary chunk types such as image data, color palettes, and a dozen or maybe even more extra types like text data, besides making fields in headers large, since it uses DEFLATE compression, just see how many series of blocks of 0 or 1s you can encode, which it will subsequently expand, you can also create literal blocks of 64k in size, and keep on pushing them. Also I think filtering bits can expand things even more. Besides checking low memory conditions to see if any of the 14 chunk types overflow, you can check which version of libpng it uses, if it does use that library, you can check for CVEs https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-7294/Libpng.html

I'd imagine with some googling there might be some specially crafted pngs online for testing these things. Of course that gets you half way, if you test out a bunch and you get a crash, like you said, the other half is the code execution.

Last edited by gbatempfan1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since