Hacking Why does Nintendo ban consoles and not accounts?

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If nintendo banned accounts only, hackers would purely buy physical copies of the games they chose to buy, then simply recreate a new account when the original got banned.
What exactly would they have to lose. Also what is stopping anyone from illegaly installing the same nsp files on the same console :P, then going online.

Last edited by Basketto,

Philipp_94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Because that way you make them more money when you buy another to be unbanned

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah but we both know we never actually read those

Next thing miyamoto busting ya door down and kidnaps you for nintendo's human consolization experiments

Because you agreed to the Tos

Fun fact from Europe again:
ToS technically aren't valid if they aren't clear before buying the product. It has to be on the package, handed by the seller beforehand or any other in any other form so you can understood and agree the terms before buying. The standard "ToS can be viewed inside, while booting or at web" is worth zilch.
So if it were to someone actually fighting it in an European court, chances are pretty high they'll be winning if they can make it through.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because you could just make another acc
But you loose all purchased digital content so the cost could be high enough to get the person to completely go pirate.

Microsoft found that by only banning the console the user was actually more likely to go legit and keep buying Xbox stuff as opposed to banning the account that was used on the hacked console.

The only time that your account, either Xbox or Nintendo was outright banned was when you cheated or committed fraud like using a stolen credit card. I had my Nintendo account banned due to Capital One marking a Switch Online currency purchase as possible fraud so Nintendo thought the card I used was stolen. Yes I eventually got my account reinstated but Nintendo warned me that if it happens again it may be permanent. If it's the credit card company treating the purchase as fraud then I shouldn't be held responsible for that.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Tell that to Sony who does ban accounts that went online while on a CFW PS3. Had an account banned for that reason but thankfully I never bought anything on it.
M$ does this too, I got banned on xbl after spending all my money on a cod season pass as a kid, only got to play one map pack before losing it.

DoubleDate

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
All the people in here: "They cant do that"
First of all dont hack your console and use it as the way its indended and nothing will happen to the games that you have bought. Hacking your console is a gamble, you know very well what you are doing, you are taking a risk. Then when people gets banned they blame Nintendo for their own actions and demand that they can do whatever they want with their console. You are in the right to do whatever you want with your console, but that doenst mean that Nintendo can ban you from their servers.

Sony and Microsoft do full console ban. Try to do something that you are not suppossed to do on a PS4 and see how your account and console ID gets tonked to orbit.

Last edited by DoubleDate,

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Yep. In court, you not reading the ToS is a trash argument at best, and the company will win against you every time.

Find an exploit, implement via clean room, load code built with a custom sdk, only allow arbitrary execution, market as an "expansion", using off the shelf components if needed,and let the end user face the consequences (creating warezt00ls), doesn't allow piracy, you can run custom code, the exploit is a "feature", that's there I when purchased it, I'm just ultilizing it...

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all dont hack your console and use it as the way its indended and nothing will happen to the games that you have bought. Hacking your console is a gamble, you know very well what you are doing, you are taking a risk. Then when people gets banned they blame Nintendo for their own actions and demand that they can do whatever they want with their console. You are in the right to do whatever you want with your console, but that doenst mean that Nintendo can ban you from their servers.

Sony and Microsoft do full console ban. Try to do something that you are not suppossed to do on a PS4 and see how your account and console ID gets tonked to orbit.
They did with the PS3 first.

Philipp_94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

The big difference is:
People using cfw for piracy, cheating online and/or break the license for the OS in any other way. Ban them. They actually did harm (which is proven not to be any worth of mentioning btw by a study conducted by the EU)

But there are, without a single doubt, people which use cfw only for private purposes like mods, save game backups, custom themes, homebrews etc. They do no harm and sometimes don't even break any point of the ToS as they don't use the OS. Why ban them? Because they forgot to uninstall a custom theme or restored a save game? That's ridiculous.

No one does blame Nintendo for banning in general, I'd blame them for the management of why consoles get banned. But after all, they want to sell consoles ‍♂️

DoubleDate

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The big difference is:
People using cfw for piracy, cheating online and/or break the license for the OS in any other way. Ban them. They actually did harm (which is proven not to be any worth of mentioning btw by a study conducted by the EU)

But there are, without a single doubt, people which use cfw only for private purposes like mods, save game backups, custom themes, homebrews etc. They do no harm and sometimes don't even break any point of the ToS as they don't use the OS. Why ban them? Because they forgot to uninstall a custom theme or restored a save game? That's ridiculous.

No one does blame Nintendo for banning in general, I'd blame them for the management of why consoles get banned. But after all, they want to sell consoles ‍♂️

Let's be real, most of people use it for CFW. When there is a new update for example, and CFW doesnt work, this site gets flooded with so many question as to why it doesnt work or when it's going to work. Of course everyone can choose what they want to do. Nintendo is very strict about it, heck it took long for Nintendo to implement that system. For years people where playing online with games that they didnt bought, from the DS era to the Wii U, while Sony and Microsoft were already banning people for such things. Unfair to just fair away at Nintendo. People had long reign and Nintendo changed that. Nintendo stated that any modifications can result into a ban. People are still yet lucky that Nintendo doesnt go full Microsoft or Sony at them.

Last edited by DoubleDate,

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
more than likely it to avoid the:
"hello nintendo? yeah, hi. listen my friend here was using my switch (and without telling me did some hacking) and now MY account is banned?!
Why is MY account getting banned when i didnt do ANYTHING?!"

funny thing is nintendo STILL gets calls like these....especially after warranty service was done

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
If you install CFW and do not hide it on a switch and play online, they will ban your console.
But they have the ability to ban your account, but they only use it when you beg nintendo support for game codes or purchase game codes from G2A.
So, why do they ban consoles and not accounts when you hack?
Because in every console you agree to the end user license agreement

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Fun fact from Europe again:
ToS technically aren't valid if they aren't clear before buying the product. It has to be on the package, handed by the seller beforehand or any other in any other form so you can understood and agree the terms before buying. The standard "ToS can be viewed inside, while booting or at web" is worth zilch.
So if it were to someone actually fighting it in an European court, chances are pretty high they'll be winning if they can make it through.

Despite Ts&Cs, the vast majority of bans are due to piracy/copyright infringement which are clearly illegal.
I very highly doubt you would gain anything fighting against Nintendos lawyers & would likely risk losing much more than just money.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you install CFW and do not hide it on a switch and play online, they will ban your console.
But they have the ability to ban your account, but they only use it when you beg nintendo support for game codes or purchase game codes from G2A.
So, why do they ban consoles and not accounts when you hack?
Accounts are free, consoles are not. Simple as that.

Philipp_94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Despite Ts&Cs, the vast majority of bans are due to piracy/copyright infringement which are clearly illegal.
I very highly doubt you would gain anything fighting against Nintendos lawyers & would likely risk losing much more than just money.

No doubt, the majority are. But some are banned simply because of using homebrews, a custom theme or smth like that. Only if it weren't for nintys excessive lawyers...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.