Hacking Why does Nintendo ban consoles and not accounts?

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
If you install CFW and do not hide it on a switch and play online, they will ban your console.
But they have the ability to ban your account, but they only use it when you beg nintendo support for game codes or purchase game codes from G2A.
So, why do they ban consoles and not accounts when you hack?

Gamerjin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
more than likely it to avoid the:
"hello nintendo? yeah, hi. listen my friend here was using my switch (and without telling me did some hacking) and now MY account is banned?!
Why is MY account getting banned when i didnt do ANYTHING?!"

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
1) Reduces the risk of bad PR
2) It still accomplishes what they want (no hacked consoles online)
3) You may still buy a ‘stock’ console and stay within the ecosystem long term

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doing an account ban wouldn't solve anything, would just make the user to create another account, doesn't dis-encourage to do illegal acitvity, console cost money, so getting a console ban is to teach people lesson not to do stuffs you that you agree not to do with the user agreement.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you install CFW and do not hide it on a switch and play online, they will ban your console.
But they have the ability to ban your account, but they only use it when you beg nintendo support for game codes or purchase game codes from G2A.
So, why do they ban consoles and not accounts when you hack?

Buying eshop card isn't illegal also, I have bought eshop card from SEAGM, but never tried G2A, only when you buy something on the eshop with your own credit card and then you chargeback you would get a ban, going online with pirated game is obviously going to get you a ban, so why bother since you are breaking the rules.

Philipp_94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
someone should bring that to court it would be funny.

"yes i tried to hack and not follow TOS but i want my games"

Well they may restrict the usage of their licensed OS, but the hardware is mine. I'm pretty free to so with it whatever I want. If I were to use a switch lite with a self developed OS (Linux, android thanks open source), they could do jack shit with my console.

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Well they may restrict the usage of their licensed OS, but the hardware is mine. I'm pretty free to so with it whatever I want. If I were to use a switch lite with a self developed OS (Linux, android thanks open source), they could do jack shit with my console.
yes, that is the common way we europeans see this, but other parts of the world seem to see it otherwise :/

Reactions: Philipp_94

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
banning an account would likely void the bought items on it, which is likely kind of an illegal act
If nintendo outlines in their ToS that using a hacked system online will ban your account, then they're covered from a legal standpoint if the user breaks that ToS agreement.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Because that way you make them more money when you buy another to be unbanned

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If nintendo outlines in their ToS that using a hacked system online will ban your account, then they're covered from a legal standpoint if the user breaks that ToS agreement.

Yeah but we both know we never actually read those

Next thing miyamoto busting ya door down and kidnaps you for nintendo's human consolization experiments

Because you agreed to the Tos

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Because that way you make them more money when you buy another to be unbanned

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah but we both know we never actually read those

Next thing miyamoto busting ya door down and kidnaps you for nintendo's human consolization experiments

Because you agreed to the Tos
Yep. In court, you not reading the ToS is a trash argument at best, and the company will win against you every time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol