Hacking Any downsides/cons to using homebrew on sysnand after ban?

campbell0505

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
After homebrewing my switch in 2021, my luck ran out and my stupidity caused my switch to recieve an online ban today (tried deleting some profiles from the emunand that were copied over from sysnand, causing it to connect to nintendos servers, resulting in the ban)

Not stressed by it, however, are there really any downsides now to running CFW on the sysnand? I'd have to use tools to update my legit games on the sysnand since I can't update games anymore. Would running "backups" on the sysnand result in my Nintendo account being banned too? As I'd like to keep that account incase I purchase another switch down the line.

Cheers

Reactions: SylverReZ

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
After homebrewing my switch in 2021, my luck ran out and my stupidity caused my switch to recieve an online ban today (tried deleting some profiles from the emunand that were copied over from sysnand, causing it to connect to nintendos servers, resulting in the ban)

Not stressed by it, however, are there really any downsides now to running CFW on the sysnand? I'd have to use tools to update my legit games on the sysnand since I can't update games anymore. Would running "backups" on the sysnand result in my Nintendo account being banned too? As I'd like to keep that account incase I purchase another switch down the line.

Cheers
Only negative is if you run dangerous unknown files that might be corrupt it. Else no just keep a nand backup

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only negative is if you run dangerous unknown files that might be corrupt it. Else no just keep a nand backup
I don't see much dangerous Switch files, except for one that being SX OS, which bricked consoles purposely much like Gateway.

Reactions: BigOnYa

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks, still got my nand backup from before homebrew so should be fine.
Just make sure you keep it in a safe location and preferably multiple copies in different locations. If you mess up emuNAND, it's easy to restore it. If you mess up sysNAND, and it turns out you lost your NAND backup, it's not so easy.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just make sure you keep it in a safe location and preferably multiple copies in different locations. If you mess up emuNAND, it's easy to restore it. If you mess up sysNAND, and it turns out you lost your NAND backup, it's not so easy.
If you get your SysNAND banned, then chances are that you cannot recover. Not unless you replace the motherboard entirely from a donor.

campbell0505

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
May as well just continue tinkering with the emuNAND despite being already banned, not worth the risk incase I mess something up.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't see much dangerous Switch files, except for one that being SX OS, which bricked consoles purposely much like Gateway.
Someone can make a bricker and distribute them in ROM files. However, that seems rather rare and almost instantly gets reported the second someone deals with it.
So really, it's just about keeping oneself safe and on the up and up with the latest scene news.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can also check the Roms signature & hash before installing them to Switch with Nxfileviewer, NxBuilder, etc, just to be safe.
You can also just install it on your mate's Switch and see what happens.

anon730

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Cheers
You can use another switch that's not banned to transfer a game update or dlc to the banned switch.
Just hit "+,' then 'manage software,' and 'Match version with local version" menu option while over the game you want to update. Set it to "join group" and use your non-banned switch to do the same but select "create group."
it's not as convenient as a direct download, but it did allow me to keep games updated on my banned switch v1. The only thing is you can't do the same with the save file, but otherwise it's an option.
I still use emunand on that switch, and left sysnand as is. Essentially I left my sysnand untouched as my "nand backup" for emunand. Which came in handy after my exfat emunand corrupted and created a new fat32 emunand partition from it.

Last edited by anon730,
Reactions: campbell0505

tomb85

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. My son got my switch banned a year ago as he downloaded fortnite and played that. I think it was banned in minutes of going online on it or he played one of the other games online not 100% sure. Is there anyway to download games to pc and inject onto switch?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto