Why do big G6 flashcards cost more than G6 lite?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Warm Woolly Shee, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Am I missing something? a g6 lite is only $80 to $100, while the normal g6's are going for $180 - $200. Shouldn't the big ones be cheaper?

2. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    yeah i was wondering about this too, i mean the g6 lite has a gba catridge cover and uses the same software and loaders, so y r the old g6 models more expensive??

3. beedog19

Member beedog19 GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I think it's a combo of a) lower cost materials (don't know how it will affect it) b) G6 regular is probably overpriced at the moment as well.

4. zalman

Newcomer zalman Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    Aren't the older G6 flashcarts using the super-duper fast memory required to run GBA games, whereas the G6 lite using memory only fast enough to run DS games, which is a lot slower (and uses a RAM cache for GBA games), thus the cost savings?

5. kalibar

Member kalibar GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Yeah I'd also like to know the answer to this. I don't want to see any performance hits when I sell my old-style G6 and switch to a G6 Lite.

EDIT: Just wanted to edit to say that the regular G6 is far and away the best flashcart I've ever used, picture-perfect performance on everything I've ever thrown at it. Also works great with the new version of the English "G6 Lite" firmware.

6. HugeCock

Member HugeCock Oh My....

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I have the G6 Lite and original and I can say there are no performace issue differences when running DS games. GBA games I don't play on the G6 so I can't say. But again the G6 and G6lite both play DS games perfectly and in the same manner!

7. kalibar

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Yeah, the GBAtemp review said that much. The compatibility for GBA games might be something to keep an eye on, but I'm just trying to figure out if there's something else going on there that we don't know about.

8. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Featured Posts:
    United States
    in the GBA section of this forum, a few people claimed that the G6 lite works perfectly on GBA (and that's what I plan to use it for since I don't have a ds yet).

I still have no clue why the price difference is so great.

9. kalibar

Featured Posts:
    United States

10. Nevin007

Member Nevin007 GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I preordered my G6 Lite from Hopebuy on July 4 for $79.90. If the English version goes up in price, will they ask me to pay more money? Has anyone emailed Hopebuy about this?

11. evilreddot

Member evilreddot GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    I think it's more expensive because they have to make it with the same materials that the commercial games are made out of, while the G6 lite was made with some cheaper alternatives.

12. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Featured Posts:
    United States
    is the english version of the old G6 flash $100 more than the chinese version?

13. beedog19

Member beedog19 GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I believe that TheSpade qouted a post on hopebuy's forum saying that there will be no increase in price for those that have already paid. I'll find the quote in a minute.

EDIT: here's the link and it has a link to the post on hopebuy's forum so if they try anything we have it http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=34435&hl=hopebuy

14. jigaboo

Newcomer jigaboo Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    Good ole Gamersection, getting the lube all warmed up (so kind). 2 weeks more and you can grab your ankles, boys! Don't forget the "thank you" note when they're done.

The real reason the older flash carts are so expensive? IMO, sunk cost, and because people will buy them at that price. They're sure as hell gonna jack the price of the English version, most likely because they can and people will still buy them at that price, not because G6 is charging that amount.. As well, IMO, the reason G6 Lite is so cheap is because NAND RAM is dirt cheap nowadays, as opposed to a few years ago.

Just fyi, so far, they're selling the G6 lite more expensive than anyone else ($95 vs $65-$80). Well, more power to 'em if people want to pay that amount.

J

15. kalibar

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I don't think you understand shipping costs, dude.

It will cost you $20 to get a G6 Lite shipped to you in Canada from WinSunx. It'll cost next to nothing from GamerSection.