Hacking Why do big G6 flashcards cost more than G6 lite?

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
yeah i was wondering about this too, i mean the g6 lite has a gba catridge cover and uses the same software and loaders, so y r the old g6 models more expensive??

zalman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Aren't the older G6 flashcarts using the super-duper fast memory required to run GBA games, whereas the G6 lite using memory only fast enough to run DS games, which is a lot slower (and uses a RAM cache for GBA games), thus the cost savings?

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'd also like to know the answer to this. I don't want to see any performance hits when I sell my old-style G6 and switch to a G6 Lite.

EDIT: Just wanted to edit to say that the regular G6 is far and away the best flashcart I've ever used, picture-perfect performance on everything I've ever thrown at it. Also works great with the new version of the English "G6 Lite" firmware.

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have the G6 Lite and original and I can say there are no performace issue differences when running DS games. GBA games I don't play on the G6 so I can't say. But again the G6 and G6lite both play DS games perfectly and in the same manner!

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the G6 Lite and original and I can say there are no performace issue differences when running DS games. GBA games I don't play on the G6 so I can't say. But again the G6 and G6lite both play DS games perfectly and in the same manner!
Yeah, the GBAtemp review said that much. The compatibility for GBA games might be something to keep an eye on, but I'm just trying to figure out if there's something else going on there that we don't know about.

WarmWoollySheep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
in the GBA section of this forum, a few people claimed that the G6 lite works perfectly on GBA (and that's what I plan to use it for since I don't have a ds yet).

I still have no clue why the price difference is so great.

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the GBA section of this forum, a few people claimed that the G6 lite works perfectly on GBA (and that's what I plan to use it for since I don't have a ds yet).

I still have no clue why the price difference is so great.

Yeah, I can confirm this -- every GBA game I've thrown at my original G6 works without issue whatsoever. Kind of a big "who cares" in my book, but whatever.

Also, I e-mailed the chaps at GamerSection for some insight into this. Got a response this afternoon.

My message:

QUOTE said:
Hey there, I was just looking through your site and noticed that the
old-style G6 Flash 4Gbit is significantly more expensive than the G6
Lite. I'm sure this is a question you get all the time, but would you
happen to know why that is? I own an original G6 that I paid almost
$200 for awhile ago, and I'm curious as to what makes the G6 Lite so
much less expensive. Is it just a more competitive market, an
introductory price, does it lose GBA compatibility, or is something
else going on?

Thanks much for your time!

Their response:
Hello,

We are quite unsure of the reasoning behind the lower pricing on the
G6 Lite, it may be because it is only in Chinese. The English version of the
G6 Lite should be available in 2 weeks and from what we know so far, will be
more expensive (probably closer in price to the regular G6 Flash). We'll
only really know its pricing once it becomes available.

GamerSection Gaming Accessories
http://www.GamerSection.ca

Nevin007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I preordered my G6 Lite from Hopebuy on July 4 for $79.90. If the English version goes up in price, will they ask me to pay more money? Has anyone emailed Hopebuy about this?

evilreddot

Trophies
Website
www.xanga.com
XP
Country
Canada
I think it's more expensive because they have to make it with the same materials that the commercial games are made out of, while the G6 lite was made with some cheaper alternatives.

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I preordered my G6 Lite from Hopebuy on July 4 for $79.90. If the English version goes up in price, will they ask me to pay more money? Has anyone emailed Hopebuy about this?

I believe that TheSpade qouted a post on hopebuy's forum saying that there will be no increase in price for those that have already paid. I'll find the quote in a minute.

EDIT: here's the link and it has a link to the post on hopebuy's forum so if they try anything we have it http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=34435&hl=hopebuy

jigaboo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Good ole Gamersection, getting the lube all warmed up (so kind). 2 weeks more and you can grab your ankles, boys! Don't forget the "thank you" note when they're done.

The real reason the older flash carts are so expensive? IMO, sunk cost, and because people will buy them at that price. They're sure as hell gonna jack the price of the English version, most likely because they can and people will still buy them at that price, not because G6 is charging that amount.. As well, IMO, the reason G6 Lite is so cheap is because NAND RAM is dirt cheap nowadays, as opposed to a few years ago.

Just fyi, so far, they're selling the G6 lite more expensive than anyone else ($95 vs $65-$80). Well, more power to 'em if people want to pay that amount.

J

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: