Not open for further replies.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But foxi you're not dealing with grown adults who are aware of their allergies and what triggers them. You're talking about, in most grade schools, kids from kindergarten to 5th grade; typically 5 to 12 years old, give or take.

You expect a kid who still gets milk and cookies with his nap time to comprehend that he can die if he eats a peanut or comes into contact with something or someone with residue from peanuts on them? Most kids that young don't wash their hands before or after they eat. In older years you're often much more conscious of such things if you have a life or death reason to be. Most kids that young can't even truly comprehend what it means to die.

Edit - I mention specifically grade school because here in the US that's typically where the peanut ban is. Jr High and high school you're on your own for the most part. As ShadowSoldier said, in his part of Canada even the high schools have the ban. THAT is overboard, though still understandable, in my opinion.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But foxi you're not dealing with grown adults who are aware of their allergies and what triggers them. You're talking about, in most grade schools, kids from kindergarten to 5th grade; typically 5 to 12 years old, give or take.

You expect a kid who still gets milk and cookies with his nap time to comprehend that he can die if he eats a peanut or comes into contact with something or someone with residue from peanuts on them? Most kids that young don't wash their hands before or after they eat. In older years you're often much more conscious of such things if you have a life or death reason to be. Most kids that young can't even truly comprehend what it means to die.
Would you apply the same rules to a High School or higher though? You probably wouldn't, and yet I hear they are bound with the same regulations.

Besides, I was pretty damn conscious about what and how I ate in grade school. ;) People don't magically find out they're allergic to something - usually they have an allergic reaction first. It's like a "hot stove reaction" - the child does understand that touching a stove will burn it if it got burned by it once before - allergies are no different. As far as residue is concerned, aren't schools supposed to be regularily cleaned?

I can see the reasoning behind it and the goal is commendable, but I still don't see how someone's lunch would be dangerous to anyone as long as the children follow basic rules of hygine and the cleaning staff does their job. "Residue" alone can hardly cause a violent reaction - average antihistamines, which allergic children should have with them anyways, can handle the reaction to those (eye sore, skin itch, rash and the likes).

People with allergies are not handicapped. They don't require to be sheltered or protected from the hazards of the outside world. What guarantee do you have that the same residue won't be on a traffic light button? Or on a seat of the bus? Or just about anywhere else?

Scientists agree that the issue is overblown because it really is - skin contact in most cases causes typical allergic reactions which can be handled, inhalation causes no reaction whatsoever unless peanut dust is inhaled, and to do that, you'd have to pulverize nuts right infront of someone's face. The only thing that does cause a violent, dangerous reaction is ingestion, and it's hard not to notice that you're eating a product containing peanuts if you brought it to school yourself (I outlined that the kitchens should be peanut-free AND shrimp-free, so lunches bought at school would be safe for everyone).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
TL;DR Thread

As someone with a peanut allergy, I'd rather not risk having to go to the hospital because I'm walking next to/sitting across someone eating peanuts. That just sounds like not good. EDIT: Do note that kids generally throw food at each other, my school is no different. I had an entire bag of peanuts thrown at me once and I had to leave school.

The main reasons schools ban it is because 1) it's dangerous (as mentioned by someone as I skimmed the pages) and 2) Schools don't want to have to be responsible for some kids death because some kid just had to have some peanuts.

Before my elementary school banned peanuts, a group of kids had to sit by themselves during lunch in a separated room, which is definitely not something that should happen.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TL;DR Thread

As someone with a peanut allergy, I'd rather not risk having to go to the hospital because I'm walking next to/sitting across someone eating peanuts. That just sounds like not good. EDIT: Do note that kids generally throw food at each other, my school is no different. I had an entire bag of peanuts thrown at me once and I had to leave school.

The main reasons schools ban it is because 1) it's dangerous (as mentioned by someone as I skimmed the pages) and 2) Schools don't want to have to be responsible for some kids death because some kid just had to have some peanuts.

Before my elementary school banned peanuts, a group of kids had to sit by themselves during lunch in a separated room, which is definitely not something that should happen.

If someone beside you is eating peanuts, chances are, you're going to back the hell away anyways.

I mean, so far, I don't see why it should be banned and not other stuff. For example, one kid in my highschool died because he touched a dog's collar that had traces of some form of meat on it. By that I mean someone was eating said meat, touched the dogs collar, than the kid did too. And this meat is served in the school cafeteria, yet they never banned it. And this is a common thing that they sell, it's a full bagel with pizza sauce on it and meat and cheese. They've been serving it for years. To this day it's still not banned.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Perhaps it's because peanut allergy is more common than other food-related allergies. That said, people need to keep their cool about those things. No matter how you slice it, anything can be potentially lethal.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
TL;DR Thread

If someone beside you is eating peanuts, chances are, you're going to back the hell away anyways.

I mean, so far, I don't see why it should be banned and not other stuff. For example, one kid in my highschool died because he touched a dog's collar that had traces of some form of meat on it. By that I mean someone was eating said meat, touched the dogs collar, than the kid did too. And this meat is served in the school cafeteria, yet they never banned it. And this is a common thing that they sell, it's a full bagel with pizza sauce on it and meat and cheese. They've been serving it for years. To this day it's still not banned.
It's because peanut allergies are by far more common than most other food allergies.

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
What are you talking about at morning? I mean for like at lunch, or recess.

Wait, it's the same thing! Why not wait after school??
there's like tons of different cuisines that are available.
Why do you HAVE to have it during school?!
I think anyone can wait after school to eat such meal. or wait until after high school.

I read and skimmed through here so if its been said then ignore.

Why not buy your own PB/Peanuts and make it at home?
Do you really have to have a pbj sandwich every morning to be satisfied?
That's the thing - some schools have a peanut quarantine - you are not allowed to bring anything containing peanuts, regardless of whether you made it yourself or not. It's considered a health hazard, which is a bit of an overkill.

It's one of those rules that are simply a tad extreme. I understand that peanut allergy is incredibly severe and ingesting peanuts can be lethal to some people, but I'm on the side of science on this one, and from what I've read so-far, being in the immediate neighbourhood of peanuts is not dangerous whatsoever. Peanut proteins have to make physical contact with you to cause a reaction, be it a mild one or a strong one. People who suffer from a food allergy will not eat the food product concerned, it's simple as that. Such a quarantine is understandable in areas which prepare food for the students - the kitchen. A complete ban is overkill. There needs to be moderation in everything.

I see. Understood.
But,
even then if it benefits from risking anyone then it's OK in my view. Are peanuts really necessary at school?
If it's true that it is the most common allergic food there is, then banning it is correct.
Unless they make a PB/Peanut-Area Only like many do for smoking.

~

Can't have it? Deal with it.
Eat something else.

Not the best but still, no one wants this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxU-wm-Cfoc

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I think anyone can wait after school to eat such meal. or wait until after high school.

That's the thing - some schools have a peanut quarantine - you are not allowed to bring anything containing peanuts, regardless of whether you made it yourself or not. It's considered a health hazard, which is a bit of an overkill.

It's one of those rules that are simply a tad extreme. I understand that peanut allergy is incredibly severe and ingesting peanuts can be lethal to some people, but I'm on the side of science on this one, and from what I've read so-far, being in the immediate neighbourhood of peanuts is not dangerous whatsoever. Peanut proteins have to make physical contact with you to cause a reaction, be it a mild one or a strong one. People who suffer from a food allergy will not eat the food product concerned, it's simple as that. Such a quarantine is understandable in areas which prepare food for the students - the kitchen. A complete ban is overkill. There needs to be moderation in everything.

I see. Understood.
But,
even then if it benefits from risking anyone then it's OK in my view. Are peanuts really necessary at school?
If it's true that it is the most common allergic food there is, then banning it is correct.

~

Eat something else.

Wow? First of all, Peanuts is the best way for protein, so a lot of people will want it, whether its in bar form, peanut butter form or whatever.

A lot of kids, well here, don't get home until 430 in the afternoon after school. Which means that for most families, around 5/530 is dinner time, they're either not going to want to eat or aren't allowed to eat until then.

Oh wait, you're allergic to something? Deal with it.
Go eat somewhere else.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Another upside to a ban is that nobody has to announce they have allergies. Therefor they aren't seen as privileged or weak or worse.. doubted and "tested" by boneheaded classmates who don't "believe in it". Common old peanut butter is poison to them, and maybe you don't have to think too far back to your own school days to remember when assholes seized every opportunity to make your life miserable.

Just a thought.

Reactions: 4 people

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico

I see. Understood.
But,

~

Eat something else.

Wow? First of all, Peanuts is the best way for protein, so a lot of people will want it, whether its in bar form, peanut butter form or whatever.Insignificant. There are yogurt, milk, eggs, meats, etc

A lot of kids, well here, don't get home until 430 in the afternoon after school. Which means that for most families, around 5/530 is dinner time, they're either not going to want to eat or aren't allowed to eat until then. So...it's mandatory to eat peanuts?

Oh wait, you're allergic to something? Deal with it. That's the spirit!
Go eat something else.

You really love peanuts huh?
I just don't see the point of fighting to have peanuts in schools.
Sure, what are the odds of someone coming in contact with a peanut? But odds are there.
Best way to prevent such allergic reaction is to ban it. For now..unless there's a way to make peanuts coexist in schools without threatening a person who is allergic to it.

I'm done.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sure, what are the odds of someone coming in contact with a peanut? But odds are there.
Best way to prevent such allergic reaction is to ban it. For now..unless there's a way to make peanuts coexist in schools without threatening a person who is allergic to it.

I'm done.
It's like you haven't read what he wrote.

He's wondering why peanuts, out of all the foods that may cause an allergic reaction, are singled out as the one solitary banned item in schools. He doesn't necessarily want then unbanned, he's merely curious as to why other allergens get a green light when peanuts don't.

I personally think that children should not be kept under a glass dome - they need to learn how to manage their allergy as the outside world is not peanut-free. I'm pro education, I'm pro banning allergen-rich items in kitchens to prevent cross-contamination, but I'm againts quarantine for the sake of having one.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I see. Understood.
But,

~

Eat something else.

Wow? First of all, Peanuts is the best way for protein, so a lot of people will want it, whether its in bar form, peanut butter form or whatever.Insignificant. There are yogurt, milk, eggs, meats, etc

A lot of kids, well here, don't get home until 430 in the afternoon after school. Which means that for most families, around 5/530 is dinner time, they're either not going to want to eat or aren't allowed to eat until then. So...it's mandatory to eat peanuts?

Oh wait, you're allergic to something? Deal with it. That's the spirit!
Go eat something else.

I'm done.

Hey man, just pulling a Yumi. And Peanuts are the best way to get protein. They have more than any meat or yogurt.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Shadowsoldier you are giving us Canadians a bad name with your lack of compassion and penchant for ignorance. If somebody told me I could seriously harm someone by having peanut butter in my lunch I would just find something else to eat cause I care about the well being of others and that's the only thing to discuss here. you obviously don't care nor have you sought out alternatives, some that are both cheap and hard to discern from the product it tries to emulate. Instead all I hear is you moan and argue like some mad cow that bit it's tongue while chewing it's cud.

get over your angst, by a tub of sunflower butter, and go on about your life.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Shadowsoldier you are giving us Canadians a bad name with your lack of compassion and penchant for ignorance. If somebody told me I could seriously harm someone by having peanut butter in my lunch I would just find something else to eat cause I care about the well being of others and that's the only thing to discuss here.
That's the issue here. You *cannot* harm anyone by having peanut butter in your sandwich. Unless you smear that sandwich againts an allergic child's face and shove some down its gullet, you can be pretty sure that the sandwich will have no effect whatsoever on the allergic child.

Let me quote some *science* on this one:

The specific issue of whether peanut-allergic patients could react to the smell of peanut butter was examined in a well-designed study in 2003 by Dr.Simonte and his collegues at Mount Sinai Medical Center. Thirty children with histories of severe peanut allergy, all with CAP RAST levels greater than 100 kU/L and with histories of reactions to smells, were entered in a placebo controlled double blinded experiment. The placebo used in this study was soy nut butter. Both the peanut butter and soy nut butter was placed 12 inches from the subject's nose for ten minutes. The subject was then observed for one hour in a normally ventilated room. There were no symptoms of any kind observed in any patient. (...) Another study by Dr. Perry and collegues from Johns Hopkins Medical Center analyzed the air around peanut butter, peanuts and peanuts being shelled, and found no detectable peanut protein in the air samples. While the testing methods might have been unable to detect very small amounts of airborne peanut protein, those small amounts would be unlikely to cause significant reactions and anaphylaxis.

~The Peanut Allergy Answer Book: 2nd Edition by Michael C. Young, page 94

What this means is that eating anything containing peanuts in direct proximity of someone allergic to peanuts will not cause an allergic reaction. The book also explains how some people "react" to smells despite the fact that the protein concentration is incredibly low, and how it's a psychosomatic reaction based on aversion rather than an actual allergic reaction.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
This thread should just be locked. Can't you all see Shadow just can't live without his nuts?

30909j4.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be obvious why your school banned peanuts...? I honest don't understand all the complaining that goes on around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Jayro @ Jayro: Thanks for that bundle, I had the games already but got all the DLC for them for just $5. What a... +1