nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why?

one word law suit

I mean before the whole penut is banned thing.

I mean if you're going to say lawsuit, you might as well ban things like brocolli, or certain types of meat that people are allergic to.
27102523.jpg

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As someone who suffers from peanut allergies, I'll say now that not eating peanuts isn't as simple a matter as avoiding pb&j sandwiches. More products than you think contain peanuts, and although I only get a reaction if I actually ingest peanuts, eating a peanut product by mistake is really easy and was a mistake I often paid for as a child. Now I know to check the labels for EVERYTHING, but young kids aren't usually this responsible and will just eat a granola bar or cookie without hesitation. But in all honesty, I don't believe peanuts should be banned in schools since a child with allergies needs to learn to deal with it and just be as careful as possible. I do however agree that it probably isn't a good idea to have peanut products being made in an area with non-peanut products. So if the schools want to do that, I think they should since there's a high risk something like a cookie might become contaminated by mistake.
A very wise thing to say indeed - processing of allergen-rich substances should be restricted to specified, restricted areas (in dedicated factories) wheras in school kitchens, said food products should not be used not to contaminate the rest of the food, however banning them on the premises entirely is going a bit overboard.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Going by this line of logic, we should also ban using cuttlery in school diners because of the slim possibility of someone cutting themselves with lethal results
Some schools only allow spoons in their cafeterias.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Going by this line of logic, we should also ban using cuttlery in school diners because of the slim possibility of someone cutting themselves with lethal results
That's... that's just sad... If I were a pupil in one, I would treat that as an insult.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

Damn. School these days (at least in the US) are beginning to sound more and more like prison. When I was going to school, all students were required to buy transparent (see through) backpacks, and I thought that was BS then. Now we have metal detectors, people choosing what you can and can't eat. Soda banned from lunchrooms, and in your case, now only spoons (not sure how strict Croatian schools really are). I think I had a bit more freedom when I was in juvie, tbh.

Reactions: Stealphie

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Before you guys complain too much, consider that schools are in general much safer places to be now than they were when I was a kid in the 70's.
Back in my day, school lunches consisted of little more than broken glass and cockroaches, anything vaguely white and liquid was considered milk.

Reactions: 2 people

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my 3rd world country we even get knives at cafeterias to eat out terrible food.
Yes, food-fights here are the real deal, unlike in your sissy america :P
I bet you're that one guy that squirts ketchup all over himself and plays dead for 2 hours in the corner of the cafeteria. Coward.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
In my 3rd world country we even get knives at cafeterias to eat out terrible food.
Yes, food-fights here are the real deal, unlike in your sissy america :P
I bet you're that one guy that squirts ketchup all over himself and plays dead for 2 hours in the corner of the cafeteria. Coward.
No, I am the danger. I am the one who stabs.
Fear me, or feel my agony to dispose you.
:p1ng:

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
why?

one word law suit

I mean before the whole penut is banned thing.

I mean if you're going to say lawsuit, you might as well ban things like brocolli, or certain types of meat that people are allergic to.
27102523.jpg

There always has to be one idiot who thinks he's being funny to ruin a thread. And if it isn't Hell's Malice, it must be you then.

BAWWWWWW
BAWWWWWW

your move.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Instead of complaining about the failed public school system (Mostly in America.), try home schooling or private schools.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Instead of complaining about the failed public school system (Mostly in America.), try home schooling or private schools.

I'm not saying it really affects me. But for other parents, home schooling is not an option for them. It just seems that the school system has them bent over a barrel and they didn't even bring lube.
BAWWWWWW
BAWWWWWW

your move.

128947781143169038.jpg

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I have school aged kids, I see the peanut ban as, at most, an inconvenience. While our school doesn't impose such a ban, if it did, it would be easy to substitute some other food, incredibly easy, without paying any more money for it. I'm opposed to these bans, but not because it puts any undue hardships on parents. I'm opposed because I prefer an educational solution that doesn't put undue hardships (and stigmatization) on the kids with severe allergies.

Honestly this reminds me of the complaints when wheelchair ramps became manditory. Think about the people with the real problem, even if they are in the minority, and don't be so worried about petty privileges that you might lose to help someone else live better, or just live at all.

Reactions: 8 people

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not saying it really affects me. But for other parents, home schooling is not an option for them. It just seems that the school system has them bent over a barrel and they didn't even bring lube.

Well I think it's parents who are asking for these bans. School systems aren't usually proactive in addressing issues.

Just realized the threat title is misspelled.

Saw what you did there.

Reactions: 1 person

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well I think it's parents who are asking for these bans. School systems aren't usually proactive in addressing issues.

Just realized the threat title is misspelled.

Saw what you did there.

Whoops

Reactions: 1 person

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
pbf182foodfight8429942.jpg

I currently work at a restaurant (a small one in Disney World) and while we do take food allergies VERY seriously (we only let trained people who deal with allergy-free foods. must change gloves and wash hands whenever you deal with these and then some), we don't ban any foods that can be considered allergic. In fact, PB&J is one of the main kids' meals in our restaurant. If some private company can do it (albeit one of the biggest in the world with $1bil+ profit), the school can - I think it's just a matter of actually having to train people for these things, and frankly none of the school systems can afford to deal with these other than straight out banning them. The substitutes are just plain too expensive, and you don't come to school to eat...you come to school to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show