Homebrew Why are hackers so against piracy?

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find this ''not wanting to be sued'' shtick to be a big lump of BS. Especially considering the anonymity that the internet provides, not to mention using different screen names and proxy servers. I really see no reason other than greed as to why they refuse to share their findings.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I find this ''not wanting to be sued'' shtick to be a big lump of BS. Especially considering the anonymity that the internet provides, not to mention using different screen names and proxy servers. I really see no reason other than greed as to why they refuse to share their findings.
But hackers want to get credits for their work. That doesn't work with fake names.

RichardLaughter_

Trophies
XP
Why hack a handheld anyway, when you can get a smart phone for 150$ That does exactly what your trying to do on said handheld? For the fun? Why make the fact you're hacking it public knowledge, when you know for a fact it's going to encourage people to want piracy on said handheld? Sounds like attention seeking without the negative side effects caused by piracy.

Reactions: Margen67 and NEP

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting sued is one thing that no one wants.

Only if people are dumb enough to use their real identity on the internet ;) :P Anonymity is a wonderful thing.

Why hack a handheld anyway, when you can get a smart phone for 150$ That does exactly what your trying to do on said handheld? For the fun? Why make the fact you're hacking it public knowledge, when you know for a fact it's going to encourage people to want piracy on said handheld? Sounds like attention seeking without the negative side effects caused by piracy.

Unless the smartphone supports Bluetooth controllers, and let's be honest, touchscreens are not very ideal for emulators or games in general.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only if people are dumb enough to use their real identity on the internet ;) :P Anonymity is a wonderful thing.

Unless the smartphone supports Bluetooth controllers, and let's be honest, touchscreens are not very ideal for emulators or games in general.

Anyone who thinks they're anonymous on the internet is in a false sense of security.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
= outwardly loud against piracy online to compensate their skeletons in their own closet which they don't tell anyone.

oh also they don't want a criminal record or an online record of being cease and desisted or fined. Just Covering their ass.

BTW NO ONE IS ANONYMOUS ON THE INTERNET.

EXAMPLE: if a confirmed criminal was on this website with a fake username..the NSA would force XenForo Ltd to hand over all possible IP addresses. Same goes with facebook, twitter, instagram or any other superficial bullshit "social" network site. If Nintendo threw enough money at the government, at anytime the government could retrieve Smea's twitter profile and link back to his IP address under the guise of "copyright infringement" and fine him all the way into jail. is it a lot of work to do that? yeah. And he probably hasn't stepped on anyone's corporate toes hard enough yet. (hence why hackers have a major overkill crusader-like boner on a anti-piracy demeanor)

unlike *SMASH2k (XBMC *SMASH Down Creator) who constantly flaunted his face online even though he created a "one-size pirates all" XBMC addon. if he wasn't such a twitter and social network whore *SMASH DOWN would still be alive. That was one way to get caught and not get a hefty cease and desist notice (which is why he pushed a final update to literally brick the add-on)

way to be truly anonymous is to TOuR the deep we--uh oh, I've said too mu----*gets shot in the head*
and even then the right hackers can find you.

*names may have been changed to avoid Warez hints

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who thinks they're anonymous on the internet is in a false sense of security.

Not if you use false information. Either way, some hackers bragged about it, like Geohot, he bragged about it and used his real name, don't use your real name, no prob. VPNs are also good to use, not perfect, but better than nothing. Okay, so complete anonymity is impossible, but, not if you use a fake, but convincing name, VPNs, etc can help.

Reactions: Margen67

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 You're up! :) Let's see what you can find. :D

And even if you hide behind your false walls that's not gonna stop people. You clearly didn't see the EoF thread where FAST wrecked a few users who thought they were secure. :)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you need is a copy of Tails and get a hacked/cracked wifi or go to a public wifi. People do and can leak anonymously. https://firstlook.org/theintercept/securedrop/

And yet, hackers tend to get a little...pissy when withheld works get leaked, and part of me feels for them, but then again, seeing work get leaked makes me LMFAO I confess. I know why they get all uppity, and yet I can't help but chuckle under my breath, like CFW for instance; they try to keep it safe, and yet, it eventually gets leaked.

Edit: Fuck this, fuck this hard.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That stops literally nothing.
There is no way to be truly anonymous on the internet, and if the right people want to find you they will. Giving them a reason to find you isn't smart, regardless of the situation.

Reactions: NEP

dauphin327

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That stops literally nothing.
There is no way to be truly anonymous on the internet, and if the right people want to find you they will. Giving them a reason to find you isn't smart, regardless of the situation.
NSA aren't some super hero's like some people think.

Reactions: Margen67
D

Deleted User

Theres no anonymous here.

Piracy and everything aside, take this forum, how many users are routing for several proxy servers and encrypting their outgoing data whilst they post, I'd wager at the number being in the 10's.

If someone really wanted information on a user, lets say Yifan_lu (not you specifically, your post is just above mine so your username was the easiest to see), if someone knew what they were doing they'd probably be able to get his/her IP address without much trouble, and then from there I guess its upto the maliciousness of that person and what they want that information for. My point being that so few people do all that for ordinary internet usage, sure using a proxy to download torrents, or music, or movies or whatever else, people are much more likely to be doing it. But I don't think console hackers are doing all that, and they're more tech savvy than most.

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
A lot of people are against piracy, it's not limited to hackers.
It's more that most of the hackers don't want to release their work. I'm sure there are a bunch of hackers who made their own CFW and are using it for piracy, but they don't mention it as they made it for their own personal use and don't want a bunch of kids begging them for a release.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NSA aren't some super hero's like some people think.

Of course they're not super heroes, but they have a much larger chance of success than some people give them credit for. If a staff member on GBAtemp can uncover your information with free and easy-to-access online tools, a fully-funded government agency dedicated to doing the same without such limitations isn't going to have any problems.
Just because they're not going after small offenders like people who download video games doesn't mean they wouldn't be able to if the situation called for it.

But not even talking about the NSA boogeyman, Nintendo would be easily able to get enough of your information to seek legal action if they had the need.

Reactions: NEP

dauphin327

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Of course they're not super heroes, but they have a much larger chance of success than some people give them credit for. If a staff member on GBAtemp can uncover your information with free and easy-to-access online tools, a fully-funded government agency dedicated to doing the same without such limitations isn't going to have any problems.
Just because they're not going after small offenders like people who download video games doesn't mean they wouldn't be able to if the situation called for it.

But not even talking about the NSA boogeyman, Nintendo would be easily able to get enough of your information to seek legal action if they had the need.
They would only go after the one who host the Tor hidden service lol, not the one who leaked it :P

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
And yet, hackers tend to get a little...pissy when withheld works get leaked, and part of me feels for them, but then again, seeing work get leaked makes me LMFAO I confess. I know why they get all uppity, and yet I can't help but chuckle under my breath, like CFW for instance; they try to keep it safe, and yet, it eventually gets leaked.

lmao yeah seeing the product of hundreds of hours of work get stolen is so funny omg

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They would only go after the one who host the Tor hidden service lol, not the one who leaked it :P

Of course they'd go after the one that leaked it too, that's the root of their problem. At the very least, they wouldn't be given access to any future code.

For someone who complains so much when someone dislikes you, you sure don't do much to prevent it.

Reactions: porkiewpyne and NEP
D

Deleted User

Nintendo did previously sue the guy who leaked a game online, I think it was mario, they ignored all the downloaders, and went after the original source.

Now I don't know exactly how they did it, but its not like they haven't done it before, thats a clear example of them doing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021