Homebrew Why are hackers so against piracy?

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
can't speak for anyone other than myself, but :

because i don't want to ? i don't think anyone's reasons really matter. no one's going out of their way to stop others from doing what they want. why are we not allowed to simply not be interested in contributing to piracy ? it doesn't even need to be about morals or legalities. do we have to do something just because we might be able to ?

Plain and simple, some hackers are just self-centered assholes.
see, i don't get this kind of comment. how is not being interested in doing something being a self centered asshole ? i get that you might really really want to play games without buying them but that doesn't make me any worse of a human being, does it ?

AHP_person

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't speak for anyone other than myself, but :

because i don't want to ? i don't think anyone's reasons really matter. no one's going out of their way to stop others from doing what they want. why are we not allowed to simply not be interested in contributing to piracy ? it doesn't even need to be about morals or legalities. do we have to do something just because we might be able to ?

see, i don't get this kind of comment. how is not being interested in doing something being a self centered asshole ? i get that you might really really want to play games without buying them but that doesn't make me any worse of a human being, does it ?

May I just add that not being interested in piracy is a fine reason not to contribute to piracy. But purposefully not publishing or sharing information because it might lead to piracy isn't. There's a lot of great works out there that aren't being shared because of piracy possibly getting involved. I understand that releasing some said things could make it easier than it already is for some form of piracy to happen, but if someone keeps something that can make the homebrew community grow to themselves because of piracy possibly being a side effect, that's a different story.

Reactions: Margen67

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm against piracy just to piss off anyone who gets offended by it. :P I don't make any money either way, so it doesn't matter for me. But I do get enjoyment when entitled kids don't get what they want. If you know how to get games for free, cool, more power to you. I feel the same towards people who smoke pot. Not my thing, but I have nothing against people who do it and I don't condescend to people who do because we all have our vices. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But if you feel that you deserve free games. If you feel that you deserve to "try" a game and decide if you like it. If you feel that you don't have the money and therefore have to pirate. If you get angry when people don't help you get what you want because you have never not gotten what you wanted. Well I feel good and smug that you're throwing a hissy fit at random people on the internet who aren't handing you toys. Because guess what? You can't always get what you want.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it doesn't even need to be about morals or legalities. do we have to do something just because we might be able to ?

I thought that was the hacker motto. :)

Seriously, yea, you feed your own interest and the "self-interested asshole" comment is both technically accurate and basically just a general damnation upon people who choose to live a life devoted to their own pursuits instead of being everyone else's slave. Meanwhile, I sit on the side-lines in most things because I'm too inept and likely to just brick my hardware than to accomplish anything useful. :/ So, I've got an easy excuse for the self-interested assholes who demand I do stuff for them.

dauphin327

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most "real" hackers are for-profit now. Who's gonna take the time to document and exploit the system for free? You shouldn't get mad at developers that at least release stuff for free, since it take them time to do so.

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
I thought that was the hacker motto. :)

Seriously, yea, you feed your own interest and the "self-interested asshole" comment is both technically accurate and basically just a general damnation upon people who choose to live a life devoted to their own pursuits instead of being everyone else's slave. Meanwhile, I sit on the side-lines in most things because I'm too inept and likely to just brick my hardware than to accomplish anything useful. :/ So, I've got an easy excuse for the self-interested assholes who demand I do stuff for them.

i mean, i guess i can sorta see that ? but at the same time, i feel like i (and many others) have been doing a lot for the community, and it seems unfair to gloss over these contributions just because they're not the ones you're interested in.

(and by "you" i don't mean you specifically)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
if i had the skills to make my own cfw, i would add piracy for myself, so that i could play roms, but i do not think i would share it.
because, sure, it is a bit 'immoral' to spread the free gameness playing all around the world.
hackers might not really be against piracy, maybe just against releasing it and they contributing even just a little to loss of sales (surely at least 1 sale has bene lost because of piracy).

if i had the ability to make a cfw, but there were no roms released, like for example, ps vita... maybe i would release it so that people could dump roms so i could play them myself? lol who knows :)

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of homebrew developers likely don't want to dig themselves into a legal hole by openly supporting it. While I can understand this (and respect it) , it can in some scenarios (such as the current 3ds homebrew scene) hold things back, because homebrew can also be released in more or less the same formats as commercial games. From a different angle though, I think NOT supporting it while there are other ways to load commercial games (be it for outright piracy, or for simply not having to drag around your collection with you) is actually pushing people TOWARDS the other methods, and encouraging things such as your Gateway, Sky3DS cards, etc to continue to profiteer and rake in all sorts of money...my opinion on the subject is a little conflicted, as it's pretty easy for me to see both sides of the argument.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to think the same way as the OP, but then I got tax returns and bought a gateway. But honestly, the console era is dying people. Just pull the plug and let it go mercifully, instead of holding on to this charade. If you have to pay to do that, then so be it.

pokemoner2500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to think the same way as the OP, but then I got tax returns and bought a gateway. But honestly, the console era is dying people. Just pull the plug and let it go mercifully, instead of holding on to this charade. If you have to pay to do that, then so be it.

If you haven't seen my sig i do own a GW, i just mean for those who can't afford it/people who updated w/o knowing.

Jim~

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those who contribute nothing have no right to complain about others not giving them what they want for free. If you want to pirate, either hack it yourself or pay gateway for their work.

Reactions: VinsCool and Zidapi

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those who contribute nothing have no right to complain about others not giving them what they want for free. If you want to pirate, either hack it yourself or pay gateway for their work.

you just more or less proved my point. Not having a readily available rom loader encourages people to continue to support companies who's sole purpose is to profit from piracy (though if you look back at my previous post, I can certainly understand why a developer wouldn't want to do this either though).

EDIT:I also don't get those that whine about not having rom loading though...if you want a rom loader, and don't have anything to contribute, just sit back and wait, one will probably be out eventually, though making a ruckus about it won't make it come any quicker.

Reactions: Zidapi

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
..i dont even understand why modders like Smealum would have to justify about why no piracy:wtf: .. its already a great thing to be 'allowed' to make and use homebrews, its not like they dont share anything!..they dont want to be part of piracy, so? ..if they wouldnt have release anything at all, people would not even ''whine'' about their choices since they wouldnt even know they can do it..

..dont know why its a subject, arent people suppose to be thankfull and enthousiasm about the progress of all that been done yet?..its all done for free and people are as mad as if they would have paid and didnt received what they bought..
its like: ''stop doing what you like and start making what i want, or else you're a self-interested asshole!'' :whip: ...dont they realise that they are the one acting as self-interested assholes?:shit: ..

...personally..the thing i cant wait is being able to install CIAs to a N3DS!...
..on another note....its saturday!!:toot: ..chin chin! :grog::grog::grog: :grog::grog::grog:

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i mean, i guess i can sorta see that ? but at the same time, i feel like i (and many others) have been doing a lot for the community, and it seems unfair to gloss over these contributions just because they're not the ones you're interested in.

(and by "you" i don't mean you specifically)

Yea, I didn't mean it to be calling you any sort of self-interested asshole*. Please do what interests you and contribute what you wish to contribute. Whether I specifically get anything out of it or not, the more the merrier to contribute; I'm certainly not complaining. Share and share alike. And I'll continue to generally support the GPL philosophy even if I at times release code under the BSD.

And as we all know, the other part of the [open source] hacker motto? If you want something done, do it yourself! :)

* It's one of those "objective" semantic tricks people pull to call someone something pejorative not because it's technically true but because they're just interested in being pejorative. The worst of it is how often the people using the pejorative are the ones who aren't just objectively that pejorative but are clearly committing the pejorative act; there's either a sort of blindness to it or a self-deflection of the fact or something. Anyways, no, you're a hacker hacking on stuff you want to hack. And you're nice enough to share.

Reactions: dubbz82

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I didn't mean it to be calling you any sort of self-interested asshole*. Please do what interests you and contribute what you wish to contribute. Whether I specifically get anything out of it or not, the more the merrier to contribute; I'm certainly not complaining. Share and share alike. And I'll continue to generally support the GPL philosophy even if I at times release code under the BSD.

And as we all know, the other part of the [open source] hacker motto? If you want something done, do it yourself! :)

* It's one of those "objective" semantic tricks people pull to call someone something pejorative not because it's technically true but because they're just interested in being pejorative. The worst of it is how often the people using the pejorative are the ones who aren't just objectively that pejorative but are clearly committing the pejorative act; there's either a sort of blindness to it or a self-deflection of the fact or something. Anyways, no, you're a hacker hacking on stuff you want to hack. And you're nice enough to share.

I went a little cross-eyed reading this with the abuse of the word pejorative, though your point is spot on.

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if i had the skills to make my own cfw, i would add piracy for myself, so that i could play roms, but i do not think i would share it.
because, sure, it is a bit 'immoral' to spread the free gameness playing all around the world.
hackers might not really be against piracy, maybe just against releasing it and they contributing even just a little to loss of sales (surely at least 1 sale has bene lost because of piracy).

if i had the ability to make a cfw, but there were no roms released, like for example, ps vita... maybe i would release it so that people could dump roms so i could play them myself? lol who knows :)
LMAO, I love your sincerity :rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: