1)Are you sure they're CIAs and not .3ds or .3dsx files?
2) What's your CFW setup? If you forgot to boot into CFW and try running FBI from user space, it has no permissions.
3) The CIAs might just be corrupted. I would check the SD card, and redownload the CIAs (maybe from a difference source).
1. Yes I am sure they are .cia files. I tried running the sunshell .3dsx file and did all the instructions in the read me file but it would just give me a black screen, forcing me to reboot.
2. I'm not sure what you mean by CFW setup, but I am running Luma3DS which was installed through Pichaxx.
3. There is only one official source I got those .cia files from, Github. But they haven't been updated so maybe that is it.
yes i have the sd card inserted and yes there was definitely plenty of space.
yes when the new 11.14 update came out, the first thing i did was update Luma and fbi has been the latest version for a maybe a year already
not sure what you mean by "updating boot9strap" but i have updated luma