Hacking Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?

mar789

Master Italian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I couldn't find this question asked anywhere, and I also don't see a point in opening a new thread so I figured I'll ask here.

I have a WODE collecting dust in my closet and I was wondering if that could be used as a way to verify a Gamecube game with Devolution?

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't find this question asked anywhere, and I also don't see a point in opening a new thread so I figured I'll ask here.

I have a WODE collecting dust in my closet and I was wondering if that could be used as a way to verify a Gamecube game with Devolution?

I don't know, but probably not. It would be really terrible AP protection if a wode could fool it.

edwardbirkholz05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is a false analogy. Counterfeiting is a felony in the US. Backing up software you legally own is ptotected by copyright law.
The false analogy was actually the other guy claiming that he's buying a license to run the software indefinitely when he's actually buying a gamecube disc (which has an individual serial number stamped inside its BCA, just like a piece of currency).
If I buy software whose original media is lost, damaged, or stolen, I still have a legal right to use the backup for personal use without fear of criminal repercussions.
You can try and claim that, but if you have to circumvent a copy protection mechanism in order to use that backup you're violating the DMCA - good luck arguing against those "repercussions" in a court. Here in the thread it's pointless to argue one way or the other because the point of order is not what is legal and what isn't, it's about what actions affect whom.
Devolution makes it difficult to play my legal backups; I dislike that. However, the author had the right to include whatever reasonable measures he wishes to prevent piracy.
I'm afraid this is ridiculous; how can Devolution make it difficult to play your backups when the system on its own doesn't play them at all? I think what you meant was that you find Devolution's method more cumbersome than some of the other "workarounds", but consider that the price you pay for getting a much better result.

edwardbirkholz05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dios Mios only works on Wiis. This discussion is really about getting gamecube backups running on a Wii U.
It's really not., this thread has been going for more than 18 months (long before the WiiU was released).
From your other responses it seems you don't understand the concept of a "backup loader" vs "warez loader" and regard your own actions as being separate from the rest of the world. Unless you're writing your own loader, anything you can do can also be done by others hence arguing that your own actions will be isolated and won't affect anyone else is ignorant.

tl;dr: if you can get free games, everyone can get free games. If everyone can get free games, the games are worth nothing (because they're free). It's basically the equivalent of somebody walking into your house, scooping up your game collection and saying, "These are old right? They're not worth anything any more so I'm just gonna take them."

A gamecube backup loader for the WiiU by definition could not exist since that system doesn't play original gamecube games. What Devolution does is really only extending the capabilities of the original target system (Wii), rather than allowing the games to be played on a new system that they were never designed for.

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

why? u can play GC games with AUDIOSTREAMING very well with wode...

mar789

Master Italian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Yes you can play games that have audio streaming with the WODE. But it does not actually give any sound it just prevents the games from spitting out an error. That and the fact that Devolution is allot more convenient and less of a hassle overall.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't know how the AP works, but it should be checking for things that only an original disc has, using the firmware of the original drive? The WODE would be probably be designed to bybass antipiracy checks, not fake a real disc exactly.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The false analogy was actually the other guy claiming that he's buying a license to run the software indefinitely when he's actually buying a gamecube disc (which has an individual serial number stamped inside its BCA, just like a piece of currency).
You can try and claim that, but if you have to circumvent a copy protection mechanism in order to use that backup you're violating the DMCA - good luck arguing against those "repercussions" in a court. Here in the thread it's pointless to argue one way or the other because the point of order is not what is legal and what isn't, it's about what actions affect whom.
I'm afraid this is ridiculous; how can Devolution make it difficult to play your backups when the system on its own doesn't play them at all? I think what you meant was that you find Devolution's method more cumbersome than some of the other "workarounds", but consider that the price you pay for getting a much better result.

You made the following errors:

1. Circumventing copy protection to make legal backups of software or other media for personal use has never been successfully prosecuted in federal criminal court and likely would not ultimately result in a conviction due to that interpretation of the DCMA violating first sale doctrine, the fifth amendment, and previous case law relating to, for instance, consumers right to make copies of television broadcasts for personal use.

2. Ditto for civil law.

3. Having serial numbers on software is a non sequitur. Software is governed by the first sale doctrine and copyright law and case law. Currency is governed by treasury law. Those are wholly different and non - analogous sections of federal code.

4. Devolution makes it difficult to play your legally owned backups. That was the coders' choice, which I disagree with, but certainly respect given that he released it for free.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wisenheimer use 1:1 iso and play it with dm(l) (via sd card), the games run perfectly

DML kind of defeats the point of having a backup loader since you have to swap out files on the SD card to play them. That is more of a pain than just finding the disk and putting it in.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DML kind of defeats the point of having a backup loader since you have to swap out files on the SD card to play them. That is more of a pain than just finding the disk and putting it in.
Naxil means Use DM OR DML. And it is also possible to have more disks/games on 1 SD.

Not that i agree with Naxil though, Devolution IS superior over DM(L), think about emusave.. audio streaming, and games do run smoother with Devolution. Also if you still could compare both compatibility lists (the DM(L) comp. was removed by crediar) you clearly could see more green and less issues with Devolution.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Naxil means Use DM OR DML. And it is also possible to have more disks/games on 1 SD.

Not that i agree with Naxil though, Devolution IS superior over DM(L), think about emusave.. audio streaming, and games do run smoother with Devolution. Also if you still could compare both compatibility lists (the DM(L) comp. was removed by crediar) you clearly could see more green and less issues with Devolution.

Most games seem to run fine with DM, so I use that. Those that have problems, like Twilight Princess, I run with Devolution or Dolphin, which unfortunately means no trimming and possible issues with using the backup in the future if I cannot verify the disk.

I really hope the community keeps working on Nintendont. I would like to put the original Mios back on my Wii and retire it when I get a Wii U.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't suppose there is anyone way to do Devolution on a Wii with a broken disc drive? I have a Wii that has a modchip, but no homebrew channel, to play backup Wii discs. But the disc drive is busted. Gamecube is broken too, long since broken.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't suppose there is anyone way to do Devolution on a Wii with a broken disc drive? I have a Wii that has a modchip, but no homebrew channel, to play backup Wii discs. But the disc drive is busted. Gamecube is broken too, long since broken.

you are out of luck then unless you get another Wii, besides the Modchip will screw up verification anyway

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damnit. Maybe I should just buy another Wii. Two Wiis and a WiiU is kinda a lot for one entertainment shelf though.

Why the 2 Wii's? you could buy one Wii with a good laser, use it to verify your games, then softmod the Wii U to play your Wii games, your GameCube stuff and other bits, then retire the 2 Wii's to the closet or whatever

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
I've spent so much time putting together the Wii with all channels and wads and stuff. I can follow the guide fine, but it does take time and care to set up all the channels, forwarders, settings and stuff.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyone tried verifying GC games with a yaosm 3.2 mod?? I'll be receiving acouple in 2 weeks and it would be cool if it worked. Oh and sorry about bumping a dead thread it's just I wouldn't have felt right asking in the main thread.

Jademalo

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to just say my bit - I've had an absolute nightmare trying to get Lego Star Wars II authenticated to play on my WiiU, purely because of this anti-piracy stuff. This is exactly why I don't support DRM in any capacity for any kind of software. at present, I still haven't got it working. Grumble.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...