Hacking Who's successfully installed a WiiKey Clone?

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I have someone who wants me to try and install their WiiKey ordered on the cheap ($11ish) from China. Of course it is likely that it's a fake.

I have heard elsewhere that the clones are working perfectly and even accepting updates... anyone here installed a clone and had success? Or any horror stories?

I ordered three myself. They're still in the mail.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Its just the sam chip the same PCB but from an diffrent designer/manufactor
I dont think it will be dangurous to install
I ordered one form dealextreme just $10.99

Louse76

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it will either. I am looking for experiences from those who have used it, just to confirm that it works fine. This way I can use the thread as a reference when people are wary of clones.

laurenz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you think that the updates will work fine, then you're pretty wrong.
The Wiikey team is trying to do everything to block the clones from updating with their updates. So if you want an up-to-date Wiikey you should stick with the original.

betaboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you think that the updates will work fine, then you're pretty wrong.
The Wiikey team is trying to do everything to block the clones from updating with their updates. So if you want an up-to-date Wiikey you should stick with the original.

lecture.gif
....only time will tell.

Even the guys behind Wiikey can't tell the clones from the originals now so the 1st gen Wiikeys from Exremedeal could even be original Wiikeys.

Quote from Wiikey website ..... "Firstly, there have been some differences in the visual appearance of the wiikey between the batches, making it more difficult to distinguish the original product."

Mine certainly looks more like an original than most of the pictures of clones that I have seen.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They cant its just impossible as its not there chip its just a Simpel Atmel microcontroller

The clones have the same Atmel Microcontroller and the Same PCB just published by some other manufactor

They cant find out if its clone, there just scaring you off to not buy a clone
you know 40 Euro for a WiiModchip is way to much It only cost 2 dollars (let say 1.50 euro) to make the chip for the WiiKey team the microcontroller is 1 euro and the PCB 50Cents maybe cheaper

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the difference is in the code, and if the updates are encrypted, it is pretty hard to use the same updates if you don't know the original code.

jon-t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@betaboy when did you order your ? Can you uppload a pic ?
Still waiting for mine from dealextreme...

laurenz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
They cant its just impossible as its not there chip its just a Simpel Atmel microcontroller

The clones have the same Atmel Microcontroller and the Same PCB just published by some other manufactor

They cant find out if its clone, there just scaring you off to not buy a clone
you know 40 Euro for a WiiModchip is way to much It only cost 2 dollars (let say 1.50 euro) to make the chip for the WiiKey team the microcontroller is 1 euro and the PCB 50Cents maybe cheaper
The Wiikey team actually delayed an update so they could make it clone-proof. So i guess they actually can block clones, otherwise they already released the update knowing that there's nothing to do about it.

fartman16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or they're holding out so that skeptics will continue to buy their product rather than a cheap clone that is confirmed to work with their new update.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Doh the diffrence isnt in the code as its just able to update with v1.1 its a raw dump of the code on the clones so 100% the same they cant encrypt as the wiikey's doesnt have encryption support so yea maybe if they release v2 but then older wiikey buyers are mad

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there is no 1.1 update, it is just a modified setup disks. there are no firmware updates yet.

Honestly I don't believe you know what you are talking about. Anyone intelligent enough to determine that is able to form proper sentences.

If it is really that easy to dump, send me a copy of your Wiikey firmware. Oh yeah, it might just as well be a fake... And how do you know there is no encryption support? They could code recovery (at least they claim), why not encryption?

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This early in the wii mod game there are no 100% fool proof mods, at the end of the day they are all simple drive mods. I personally dont think the wiikey team can tell the diff between a real chip and a clone.... Think about it.. Clone = identical so theu will probably work fine with updates! Im happy with my wiinja 2 clone, It boots backups from the same region so im happy, im not in the game for playing imports i cant understand!
smile.gif

klyick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't buy originals, the money goes to the cloning people.

You say to yourself, why do I care? Let me tell you why. These guys worked hard to design and implement this mod, and if you support them, they can continue to function as a business. Part of this support comes back to you, the end user. They have offered to replace non-working chips, have responded to emails from their users, and basically are a crapload less shady than other modchip makers over the years.

If you buy clones, you are basically cockpunching the guy who is making mods possible for you. The guys who make the clones don't give a damn about you.
Wiikey at least has incentive not to piss of a lot of people. Who are you going to get mad at when your clone doesn't work as advertised? YOU DON'T KNOW.

OK, end of rant.

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't buy originals, the money goes to the cloning people.

You say to yourself, why do I care? Let me tell you why. These guys worked hard to design and implement this mod, and if you support them, they can continue to function as a business. Part of this support comes back to you, the end user. They have offered to replace non-working chips, have responded to emails from their users, and basically are a crapload less shady than other modchip makers over the years.

If you buy clones, you are basically cockpunching the guy who is making mods possible for you. The guys who make the clones don't give a damn about you.
Wiikey at least has incentive not to piss of a lot of people. Who are you going to get mad at when your clone doesn't work as advertised? YOU DON'T KNOW.

OK, end of rant.

I totally agree with what you are saying except that I do have an original WiiKey and I have a problem that I have posted on their website several times. They have yet to respond. I don't see any wicked support here. Also, has anyone received their unconditional warranty replacement chip for a DOA? I'd be very suprised.

Personally, if I had to do it all over again, I would buy a clone in a heartbeat. I doubt any updates will be earthshattering aways.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my WiiKey what I don't like is being lied to. Dont' promise something unless you intend on following through. For me, and I speak from my own experience, they don't offer very good support.

klyick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[/quote]

I totally agree with what you are saying except that I do have an original WiiKey and I have a problem that I have posted on their website several times. They have yet to respond. I don't see any wicked support here. Also, has anyone received their unconditional warranty replacement chip for a DOA? I'd be very suprised.

Personally, if I had to do it all over again, I would buy a clone in a heartbeat. I doubt any updates will be earthshattering aways.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my WiiKey what I don't like is being lied to. Dont' promise something unless you intend on following through. For me, and I speak from my own experience, they don't offer very good support.

[/quote]

OK, a legitimate concern. What is the problem? How long have you given the Wiikey team to respond? And assuming you are right, and their support is crap(my experience with them was very good, but thats just me) tell us all about it. People need to know about bad experiences.

smile.gif

vietboi155

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have installed the wiikey from dealextreme on my USA/NTSC wii. So far I have been able to boot Wario Smooth moves (USA) and Godfather Blackhand edition (PAL). I first had to use the configuration disc from the wiikey.cn website for it to play Godfather Blackhand edition. I booted some of my backed up gamecube games and it works fine. Keep in mind that I did the installation TODAY at around 6 o'clock, so I didn't extensively test the games. I will do this when I have the time.

Hope this helps,
Vietboi155

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

[/quote]

OK, a legitimate concern. What is the problem? How long have you given the Wiikey team to respond? And assuming you are right, and their support is crap(my experience with them was very good, but thats just me) tell us all about it. People need to know about bad experiences.

smile.gif

[/quote]

Here goes,

I bought my WiiKey in the first batch from Foundmy and received it as promised. carefully installed and tested. Works fine. Run the setup disc and set to Region Free. I have a US box btw. Save settings and Reboot. Insert Wing Island NTSC-J and it just spins forver. I patch it with Region Free soft fix and boom it works fine. I do the same for Bomberman and still will not work. Try the set several times and same deal. So I figure maybe I have installed it wrong but i can't see where. All the wires seem fine. I can't actually tell if it is saving the Region Free setting in the setup disc.

I send a note to WiiKey via they website. No response. This is aroudn the end of Feb. Then I send an email to Foundmy. I get a response from Terry and he just asks what game I am trying. I tell him. No response ever again. I send another email to WiiKey via their site first week of March asking for advise. No response. I send another 2 weeks ago. No response. Nothing.

Now installed a Wiikey for a buddy last week. Very carefully I might add. Tried the same and it won't work on the same games either. So I am eitehr very unlucky or I am doing something wrong. I asked WiiKey in one of my emails what wire is used to save the setup info to the chip. Again no response. I gave up with their support. Nothing like being ignored. The chip works but I dont' know if it will take the so called update as it won't save the settings. My chip is not Region Free and does not appear to save settings.

If I bought a clone I would just chalk this one up, but I bought what i was told was a supported device and I thought I would at least get bare minimum support to a email question. I got squat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E