RedFawkes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I seem to have a WiFi issue on a Switch Lite.

Originally this unit was an orange screen of death Switch I bought from eBay. I re-flowed it which worked initially and I then installed a picofly.
About an hour later the orange screen was back and, long story short, I eventually replaced the WiFi IC with one from a component seller on eBay.
The eBay seller confirmed, when asked, that this IC has been flashed with Switch firmware.

I've reballed and replaced WiFi IC's on a couple of Switches successfully in the past and this one was no different. This chip came pre-balled and the install went very smoothly. I tapped the side of the chip gently when heated enough with hot air and it re-centered as expected. I'm confident that it's installed correctly.

The orange screen issue is now gone but I can't connect to WiFi.
The error I get is:
Error 2110-1118 (see attached)

Things to note:
Bluetooth is working perfectly.
The wireless antennas are correctly connected.
This happens in emuMMC mode and also in OFW mode.
A MAC address is correctly listed under the Internet section in settings.

I've read about two smd components that are frequently the cause of this exact issue when removing the APU shielding. However, this is a Switch Lite and I don't know where the corresponding location would be.
I'd be very grateful if someone can tell me where they are on a Switch Lite and then at least I'd be able to confirm continuity and this might reveal a severed trace somewhere.

If someone out there is very clever and can point at anything else I could test before I try to reball this WiFi chip I'd be very grateful 🙂

Attachments

• PXL_20230903_150327399.jpg
    PXL_20230903_150327399.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37

ModMike

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A bit late with reply but I just encounter same problem and I found that post. Welcome to the club. I have recently also modded for the first time switch, model lite just to discover that after that it has the same problem... No WIfi, but at least I know that it's not caused by accidentally removing caps etc or wifi module failure because I bought ethernet adapter and after just one session with adapter when I have turned off switch wifi was wroking again after booting it up. It was working fine for whole day but after few download on tinkfoil directly on switch through VPN network when switch went into sleep mode wifi after that was not working again next day. But I can get it back all-over again with the same method, first session on ethernet adapter then wifi is working fine. It's like some script, or setting from atmosphere etc is blocking wifi or maybe becuase my switch lite is from 2022 and its not fully supported by Picofly

RedFawkes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A bit late with reply but I just encounter same problem and I found that post. Welcome to the club. I have recently also modded for the first time switch, model lite just to discover that after that it has the same problem... No WIfi, but at least I know that it's not caused by accidentally removing caps etc or wifi module failure because I bought ethernet adapter and after just one session with adapter when I have turned off switch wifi was wroking again after booting it up. It was working fine for whole day but after few download on tinkfoil directly on switch through VPN network when switch went into sleep mode wifi after that was not working again next day. But I can get it back all-over again with the same method, first session on ethernet adapter then wifi is working fine. It's like some script, or setting from atmosphere etc is blocking wifi or maybe becuase my switch lite is from 2022 and its not fully supported by Picofly
Hmm that's a tough one to diagnose. I know some other users have had the same issue but I've never found a conclusive answer.

I reballed and reinstalled the same WiFi chip in one that had this issue (it was a V1 Switch) and it worked again immediately.

Then I later had a similar issue with a fully dead WiFi chip on a switch lite that I bought as faulty from eBay with a plan to repair it. This was displaying a full orange screen issue.
After purchasing about three WiFi modules from different sellers I eventually found that the WiFi chip is proprietary to the Switch. Yes, you can buy the exact component but it's either flashed by Nintendo with switch specific fw at the point of manufacture or, as some have discovered, it may copy data from the switch during the boot process. In any case new components always fail to work. You must buy salvaged WiFi chips.
Watch the YouTuber 'TVPartsWorld' to see exactly what I mean.

In your case I think you are experiencing a malfunctioning WiFi chip and need to replace it with a salvaged one using hot air.

Feel free to send me a private message if you need any further help but perhaps someone else who's been further down this rabbit hole might have more info too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto