Who still has an Original DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by sjones900, Dec 6, 2011.

1. sjones900
    OP

sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    TX
    I was digging around in some old stuff and found my old broken DS. It had a cracked screen and seeing it like that made me want to fix it. I went online to look for parts but I realized the the top and bottom screen are actually the same. I had a spare touch screen, but I needed the top. So I just peeled off the touch sensor effectively making it a top screen :ha:. Anyway after I fixed it I was thinking, I'm curious who still has an original DS? I bought mine nearly 6 years ago.. I can't believe it's been so long.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

2. VatoLoco

VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Ya Cant Get There From Here
    I still got my ol' silver tank, and its in fairly good condition. I use it as my daily alarm clock nowadays.

1 person likes this.
  3. Giggtysword344

Giggtysword344 I want some Scum Nyums

Oct 26, 2010
    United States
    Skyloft
    like wise except i use mine for my fake flashcards and snes emulations.

4. DroRox

DroRox Ambassador of Ooo

Aug 1, 2011
    United States
    The Land of Ooo
    I have the special edition Mario Kart Red and Silver one haha it's in pretty bad shape after my parents decided it should be a handme down to my brother without my permission. It functions... but the bottom screen is scratched pretty badly... also the paint job is pretty beat up too. It saddens me... :(

5. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I dont have it but i do know where it is and who has it. I sold it to a friend who plays it in spurts. Its in pretty good condition.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I don't, but I still have my original black DS Lite. It used to work great, but then it took an arrow to the knee.
    Now I've got a silver DS Lite (I like to say it's a Platinum DS Lite, though.)
    I probably wouldn't get a DS Phat now, considering that the Lite's cons outweighs its pros.

7. Quietlyawesome94

Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 4, 2010
    United States
    The Internet
    Still got the good ole silver one from Christmas 2005 :D Don't know where it is though :(

8. Jordon

Jordon Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    Where ever I may roam
    I remember mine the little hinge broke off so I gave it to my brother. He went and pawned it not long after, what a -censored word here- xD.

9. s4mid4re

s4mid4re  

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    I still have my phat that I bought in 2008. The one I bought at the Jap launch (2004) was torn into pieces by my little bro. :(

I never considered getting a lite because my little bro had it, and the buttons were crap. The buttons on the phat feels awesome and it's the perfect size (the lite/dsi are too small, while the dsi xl is too big). I still love my phat :wub:

10. sjones900
    OP

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    TX
    That's what happened to mine. I sold it to a friend a couple years back, then he had a run in with a car. That's how the screen got cracked. He gave it to me hoping I could fix it but just collected dust for a long time. He eventually got another DS, so now this one is mine (again) :).

11. Jordon

Jordon Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    Where ever I may roam
    Seems to me that brothers big and small are hell towards DS consoles. This is a warning to everyone else with a younger or older brother. :P

4 people like this.
  12. metroid4life14

metroid4life14 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I still have my original Silver DS Phat bought on launch day in 2005. The thing has a few scratches on the black, but otherwise works perfectly :D

I've gotten a ton of use out of it... especially after I got my R4 about halfway through the DS's lifespan

1 person likes this.
  13. Presto99

Presto99 You slammin, bro?

Feb 24, 2010
    United States
    Skyworld
    I think I have my electric blue one...somewhere...I remember I was in debt to my parents for a while after I got it. I played the crap outta SM64DS, as SM64 was my favorite game before DS. It was durable for a while, till I dropped it. :P A part of the hinge cracked, and it got worse from there. Eventually I just played Animal Crossing on the bottom screen, shooting aimlessly at presents in the sky until the top screen came off. :/ I'm more careful now! I was 8-9 at the time. I couldn't bear throwing it away, so I think I threw it in my junk drawer. Awesome system though.

14. The Masked Man

The Masked Man Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2011
    United States
    Still have mine. I remember looking left and right at Christmas '05 just to find the last one at Target.
    Now, the top screen doesn't work and the hinge is broken. Thanks a lot little sis...
    :lol:

15. sjones900
    OP

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    TX
    I recently bought a 3DS, but it wasn't what I was hoping it would be. At the time there weren't really any good games out so I just sold it. I prolly won't adopt the 3DS again until they make a slimmer model. But I still have always enjoyed the original DS the most, the DSi was kinda cool, but I didn't like the lack of GBA support. Do any of you kinda feel the same way?

16. lufere7

lufere7 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 29, 2010
    Mexico
    Sonora
    I still have mine, the upper screen is broken and the shoulder buttons don't work, what good memories.

17. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I had one, but it died when Pokemon Platinum was released. The hinge was broken and the top screen just died. I really miss it.

18. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Still have a red one bought with the Mario Kart bundle. Except for the usual haze of microscratches all over the touchscreen, it's 100%. I use it occasionally, ironically only for Mario Kart simply because of the awesome d-pad, but the dim screen is just unbearable.

19. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    I still have mine, original silver. Perfect condition. Bought it a week after launch day for 25 bucks off some guy outside a pawnshop. I also have my ds lite, dsi, and dsi xl. Still have yet to get a 3ds but i will when more good stuff comes out for it.

Also to those that have a Blue DS phat, you can do a firmware hack that will allow a brighter screen, about as bright as ds lite.

20. Coconut

Coconut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2010
    Netherlands
    I have the same as you (sjones900)