Hacking Who hasn't yet installed arm9loaderhax? Why?

Why?

• Total voters

nedron92

Trophies
Website
www.github.com
XP
Country
Germany
I only did a9lh once (with my "yellow-screen.problem" 3DS I wrote here some weeks/months ago) and because I needn't that 3DS anymore I decided to try a9lh (I was on 10.3 sysNand, so I have to do two downgrades..) but all went fine, all on first try )no failures, no errors, no bricks). That was wondering me, cause I'm the one which anytime has problem with such stuff xD. I see the big advantages with it now.. But I'am scared to do it with my main 3DS, cause of all my saves etc. Yeah I will do all backups and so on , but if it will be bricked during flashing emuNand to sysNand, I am fucked up..cause I have to update to 11.0 via rescue-mode or worst: Have buy a new console (but I bought a Wii U this week..so no money for that yet).

But maybe I will try it and do a system-transfer to my "yellow-screen-problem" 3DS (a9lh emuNand) from my emuNand before..so that I have my saves/etc. Is that an good option?

Last edited by nedron92,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just did the a9lh installation yesterday on a fresh new 2DS that I'm gonna give to a kid as a birthday present. Very long process, it took me several hours with Plailect's guide. But mostly because I take my time and read and inform myself a lot before I actually proceed with the steps. The one thing that really got me stumped was trying to use browserhax in the beginning. I spent nearly two hours to make it work, and it just crashed every single time. Then I just gave up when I remembered I had an Ocarina of Time cart lying around. That's when I finally realized that my folder structure was wrong for the Homebrew Launcher (one level too deep). I hadn't extracted it properly. :huh: After that, everything went well. There's one place where I got stuck (a little moment) because the app I was supposed to run on the HBL was not there. I realized the instruction to install it was in a section that I had skipped (because I was told to skip in my situation). Minor problem, anyway. The downgrade process to 2.1 and back to current firmware succeeded first shot. It's nice to have a practically bulletproof hack, especially since a kid will use it. I'll just tell him to not lose his SD card.

Reactions: retrofan_k

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
It was quite a pleasant experience doing my 1st console. The only time things got a bit hairy was the OTP section for me when I did the 2.1.0 downgrade, unbricked it but no WiFi. Took me 15 mins to realise I didn't enter the settings.

Anyone to wanting to do it. Read over the whole steps once or twice beforehand and take your time. I actually did it over two days because of work, so I bookmarked where I stopped and started from.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It was quite a pleasant experience doing my 1st console. The only time things got a bit hairy was the OTP section for me when I did the 2.1.0 downgrade, unbricked it but no WiFi. Took me 15 mins to realise I didn't enter the settings.

Anyone to wanting to do it. Read over the whole steps once or twice beforehand and take your time. I actually did it over two days because of work, so I bookmarked where I stopped and started from.
Yes, exactly! Read and read again, take your time and don't rush anything, guys! I took my time, and I still made mistakes! There's no harm in spreading the job over a couple of days or evenings. But part 4 (getting the OTP) should be made in one shot. Too risky to leave it hanging. By the way, retrofan_k, thanks for all the great work you did with firmwares for different flashcarts in the DS days. They were great stuff! :grog:

TheAnt317

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I would've read the comments on this thread before I followed Plai's guide I would not have done it. However, I did successfully install A9LH on my N3DSXL so I'm in the clear.

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did it to a O3DS and N3DS. Phailect's guide went smoothly on both. I studied the guide for a few weeks before starting. Now that it's done, things are so much nicer than all the hax and I'm thinking about getting rid of the emunand I no longer use. Finally, no more flashcart hassles or slow booting, half-broken CFW.

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I may want to use the system normally. It shouldn't be reliant on an SD card to function. I don't care about recovering shit from my SD, I backup my game saves anyway. My current menuhax system is great. I want to be able to use the system should anything happen to my SD card; or if I don't want to use my SD card and just play my cartridge. In my current setup I can. It's the freedom of not being locked/reliant that I desire. I'm not reliant on menuhax; I can play my cartridge games normally without it.
If your sd card dies with menuhax and you don't have a backup of the actual emunand image you are screwed. All games, all saves gone, the backups of the Nintendo folder become useless. Let's say you do play without the sd card(I call bullshit) how do you get around needing to update for newer games?
With menuhax you need to have the sd card n the system to use it especially when its on. With a9lh you can remove the sd card once its booted. The actual a9lh is installed to the nand so if you do lose ur sd card you can just find another, put the cfw's bin file on it and play. Now lets have a run down of what happens if you lose the sd card with menuhax.
-put the starter kit on the sd card
-put emunand9 on sd card
-use browserhax or other to get into hbl
-use emunand9 to make a new emunand/partition, if you have emu backup unmount card, put it on it, remount card, wait for restore.
-put starter kit back on sd card
-put emunand9 back on sd card
-put tinyformat on sd card
-put cfw on sd card
-optional put bootmanager on sd card(should use one)
-get back into hbl on sysnand
-run tinyformat to unlink the nands
-go through the setup again
-get back into hbl again
-run menuhax installer
-install menuhax, change trigger type to type 2 for auto boot, change the basic theme so you know you're in sysnand(you have to worry about that with this), reboot.
-make sure menuhax installed
-launch cfw, theme should not match sysnand(if it does you need to start over at tinyformat)
-if cfw works/nands unlinked, update system.
-its now ready to play

Now what would you rather have if loss of sd card is such a worry? One file to replace, or all those steps to set menuhax backup. Oh I should also add kiss your friends list goodbye with menuhax if you don't have a emunand image backup.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
If your sd card dies with menuhax and you don't have a backup of the actual emunand image you are screwed. All games, all saves gone, the backups of the Nintendo folder become useless. Let's say you do play without the sd card(I call bullshit) how do you get around needing to update for newer games?
With menuhax you need to have the sd card n the system to use it especially when its on. With a9lh you can remove the sd card once its booted. The actual a9lh is installed to the nand so if you do lose ur sd card you can just find another, put the cfw's bin file on it and play. Now lets have a run down of what happens if you lose the sd card with menuhax.
-put the starter kit on the sd card
-put emunand9 on sd card
-use browserhax or other to get into hbl
-use emunand9 to make a new emunand/partition, if you have emu backup unmount card, put it on it, remount card, wait for restore.
-put starter kit back on sd card
-put emunand9 back on sd card
-put tinyformat on sd card
-put cfw on sd card
-optional put bootmanager on sd card(should use one)
-get back into hbl on sysnand
-run tinyformat to unlink the nands
-go through the setup again
-get back into hbl again
-run menuhax installer
-install menuhax, change trigger type to type 2 for auto boot, change the basic theme so you know you're in sysnand(you have to worry about that with this), reboot.
-make sure menuhax installed
-launch cfw, theme should not match sysnand(if it does you need to start over at tinyformat)
-if cfw works/nands unlinked, update system.
-its now ready to play

Now what would you rather have if loss of sd card is such a worry? One file to replace, or all those steps to set menuhax backup. Oh I should also add kiss your friends list goodbye with menuhax if you don't have a emunand image backup.

Out of curiosity what file is needed to replace and how would one transfer to a newer SD. Say I went out now and got a 64gb card, is the whole content of my current SD needed to transfer across?

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity what file is needed to replace and how would one transfer to a newer SD. Say I went out now and got a 64gb card, is the whole content of my current SD needed to transfer across?
Only file needed to make a9lh work again is the arm9loaderhax.bin file. To transfer to a new sd card just format the new one to fat32(64gb+ cards), then move the files onto it. If you are a a9lh user who still has an emunand there are a bit more steps.

madddut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, and don't forget the 8 hours you waste sleeping 7 days a week and the 8 hours you waste working 4-7 days a week. Don't forget about the time you're going to the bathroom....

2 Hours a year isn't anything. And you can easily pull out your Smartphone or do something else for a few seconds while it's turning on. This isn't a good argument. x_x
sleeping is amust dude, it's relaxing, not wasting XD

btw, a9lh may save our hack because of updating,
but 3 hours are still a challenge for me ;)

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Got a v1.0 firmware console to do a a9lh install on soon, which im looking forward too.

Lately, I find that I enjoy modding/exploiting consoles than I do with actually playing the games once the console(s) are ready for action. Anyone else, like that?

Xygrid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TIME Vampire : this is still a large time commitment, just to understand the jargon...
Most instructions insist reading everything thoroughly... and attempt at your own risk...
Seems like a lot of effort... just to end up getting automatically updated and now you have to start over or worse...
And this all takes away time that could be used catching shinny Pokemon...

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TIME Vampire : this is still a large time commitment, just to understand the jargon...
To get a9lh, there's not a lot of jargon. Do you know what emunand is? Sysnand? Cfw? Congrats you basically know everything you need to know right there.
Most instructions insist reading everything thoroughly... and attempt at your own risk...
I mean... not to be rude, but instructions are made to be read thoroughly, so I don't see an argument there at all. Have you ever read instructions that have a disclaimer that says: "These instructions were made for fun and I don't recommend you read them"? And if you follow the guide perfectly, you have less then a ~3% chance of bricking.
Seems like a lot of effort... just to end up getting automatically updated and now you have to start over or worse...
You're describing the worst possible scenario like it's going to happen to everyone.
And this all takes away time that could be used catching shinny Pokemon...
If you really want to pass up a9lh to catch shiny Pokemon then... I don't know what to tell you. I think the prospect of bettering your system is more appealing than finding 1-3 shiny Pokemon (depending on how lucky you get) in a Pokemon game, but that's just my 2 cents.

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
I don't like luma i prefer rxtools
Altho that's totally your choice, I shall warn you: rxTools is currently dead, as no dev is working on it. So most probably if you have a problem, a scarce amount of people would know the solution. On the other hand, Luma gets hourly updates and is an active project. You also have a choice of using it as your non-a9lh cfw.
like to keep the sys and emu nands separate.
You can do that on A9LH too, because most a9lh cfws have an option of booting both EmuNAND and sysNAND.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Got a v1.0 firmware console to do a a9lh install on soon, which im looking forward too.

Lately, I find that I enjoy modding/exploiting consoles than I do with actually playing the games once the console(s) are ready for action. Anyone else, like that?
Yes, it can be pretty entertaining to install hacks and stuff on a console and basically make it do something it shouldn't be able to normally. I guess those people who install a9lh multiple times for strangers are really addicts of modding. I couldn't do that... too time-consuming.

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
Yes, it can be pretty entertaining to install hacks and stuff on a console and basically make it do something it shouldn't be able to normally. I guess those people who install a9lh multiple times for strangers are really addicts of modding. I couldn't do that... too time-consuming.
Yeah one example of such an addict is me. I just love haxing people's 3DS. Done it on 8 consoles until now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think they stopped making it due to disks exploding lol +1