Gaming Who else thinks 3DS should've waited till May?

Should the 3DS have been released in May?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
I think that it should have been delayed for as long as it would take to fix the obvious problems.

What 'obvious' problems would you be referring to that would have been fixed if they had more time?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
_Chaz_ said:
I think that it should have been delayed for as long as it would take to fix the obvious problems.

What 'obvious' problems would you be referring to that would have been fixed if they had more time?
Sufficient testing would have shown signs of, if not outright problems with hardware that others are experiencing.
Examples would include dead pixels, faulty RAM, faulty SD card slots, and faulty firmware.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
doyama said:
_Chaz_ said:

Sufficient testing would have shown signs of, if not outright problems with hardware that others are experiencing.
Examples would include dead pixels, faulty RAM, faulty SD card slots, and faulty firmware.
You mean shipping and manufacturing issues? Wouldn't make a difference if now or 'till May.

Mine work perfectly fine.
happy.gif

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
_Chaz_ said:
doyama said:
_Chaz_ said:

...which could happen to any electronic despite its release. I don't understand your point here other than the firmware (which it seems to be only affecting North American firmwares and not the Japanese one. Or no reports were to come from the Japanese 3DS owners from what I read).

BlazerRazor

Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
doyama said:
_Chaz_ said:

Were are your sources for these claims? You can't just spew out random claims...

No, I don't think Nintendo should have waited... time is money. It's now or never and I think the system is mature.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
KingVamp said:
_Chaz_ said:
doyama said:
_Chaz_ said:

You mean shipping and manufacturing issues? Wouldn't make a difference if now or 'till May.

Mine work perfectly fine.
happy.gif

Same for me, so far I haven't found any problems with it... Only problem with the 3DS is the sad scenes that I make while playing Face Raiders in the Train. >.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
doyama said:
_Chaz_ said:

Just to give you perspective I've actually dealt with manufacturing houses. It's a huge god damn pain to make something believe me and get a bunch of morons to assemble it properly. You test for certain things but you can't test for everything, on every unit. It's just not practical. The lower you are in the manufacturing process, generally the more testing you can do. A lot of times you'll just put a probe on something and make sure it lights up a green LED or a light the tech can see. If the light is green it's a go. Despite the low wages of these people, you can't have them crack open every 3DS and boot it and test stuff. It's just not practical, and to be honest something that should only be done on a lot by lot basis. Most manufacturing defects will be sorted out by that point.

Does stuff get through? Absolutely. Sometimes it's weird stuff, other times it's just bizarre crap you can't predict. Sometimes it's just people on the floor not caring the green LED didn't go off. Or their bosses telling them to just churn out units because they get paid on a per unit basis. Sometimes your suppliers send you a bad batch of something. Sometimes you don't have part A so you get part B instead which is 'supposed' to be identical but maybe not.

That said, I don't see the 3DS launch to be any different than previous ones. Manufacturing defects seem to be around the 3-5% range which is ok for a consumer level product and generally the average. If we start seeing xbox360 levels of failures which were in the 20-30% range then that's something to talk about. You'd get fired if your stuff failed 10% of the time, the fact that the manufacturing and design of the x360 cost them a billion bucks in warranty expense, it was no surprise when Peter Moore got the boot.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man a lot of people ask these questions. Who cares, really, haha. I got the system now, I got SFIV and Pokemon Black, and I'm happy with it, and so what, I got it now. When it comes out in May, I'll still have it and I can pick up those "better" titles.

Problem solved. lol.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
KingVamp said:
Skelletonike said:
Same for me, so far I haven't found any problems with it... Only problem with the 3DS is the sad scenes that I make while playing Face Raiders in the Train. >.

Dylan

100 MILES AND RUNNIN'
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
I think the launch reeks of being rushed because of the launch line up not having zelda or a mario release or just anything that would typically go on to be a classic. as well as all the features that currently remain promises.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eh, it should have been, but I'm glad it didn't.

I was literally dying get mine. I almost didn't make it...

It would have been better if it came out with the May update, and some better games.

sonicsmash2

Trophies
XP
Country
really now, how do u spend 5 playing a 3DS outside, ever once in a while you eventually come back home, charge it the next day its all good, heck if you want to play at home just play with the charger on! i see no problem......

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sonicsmash2 said:
really now, how do u spend 5 playing a 3DS outside, ever once in a while you eventually come back home, charge it the next day its all good, heck if you want to play at home just play with the charger on! i see no problem......

If you're in college I could kinda see a scenario where you're spending 1h each way on public transportation, then you might be sleeping *ahem* I mean 'studying' through 5 hours of classes with your 3DS
tongue.gif

Ironcially this is probably more of an issue in Japan where a 2 hour commute is not uncommon for people.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sonicsmash2 said:

I basically have had my 3DS on since launch, and it hasn't gotten to red battery yet.

I just drop it on the dock when I'm not playing. It really isn't hard...

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think its fine that they released it already. I'm playing it and enjoying it, so why wouldn't I be happy? Sure, it would have made a bigger impact around may, but really, would you want to have tons of good games coming out all at once? A lot of people would have to pick and choose rather than buying all the games that they wanted. With the game releases spread out more, its much more feasible to pick up all the good titles when they are released.

And I don't see why anyone is complaining about the battery. I haven't seen mine go below 3 bars yet!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-