Who else thinks 3DS should've waited till May?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by basketballguy743, Apr 4, 2011.

?

Should the 3DS have been released in May?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. basketballguy743
    OP

Newcomer basketballguy743 Advanced Member

United States
    I preordered the 3DS because I couldn't wait to play games like Paper Mario 3DS, Kingdom Hearts 3DS, and LoZ: OoT 3DS. I preordered it back in 2010...now that it's April and I've had it for about 2 weeks, I've probably only played it for 3 hours. There are really no good launch titles out. I got pilotwings and got bored very quickly, and I considered buying Street Fighter but I thought I would just get bored of it as well. Now, if Nintendo waited till a May launch, we would have many other games to choose from, PLUS the update in May which really completes the 3DS software, with the eShop, Internet Browser, Virtual Console, transferring DSi Ware over, and I'm sure there is more. I was wondering if I was the only one feeling let down by this launch.

2. maxmontezuma

Newcomer maxmontezuma Newbie

Germany
    I guess if they released it at the same time as their own super-top-titles, the 3rd party developers and publishers would've been kinda pissed XD. Nobody would care about their games then [​IMG]

3. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Nintendo is doing this to make sure that they get 3rd party developers to stick with them. Nintendo isn't the more attractive company anymore; Microsoft and Sony have generally better products all the time.

It's Nintendo's way of brainwashing developers.

4. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    I think they could have made a much bigger impact on the public with the 3ds if they had released in may. They needed bigger advertising and more time as, atm, they can't really advertise the features which are not even out yet!

5. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You were expecting something that wasn't set in stone, and now you're disappointed because your assumption didn't match their schedule. Waiting for May would only have changed one thing: How soon you'd have the 3DS in your hands. Besides, releasing it when they did gives them some time for feedback on bugs, issues, etc., so that when he May updates does come, it'll contain everything already mentioned, plus fixes from the feedback.

6. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    It may not have had the strongest launch but I still think the 3DS is a good system as it is now. I'm not bored of any of my games yet (Samurai Warriors, Pilotwings and Ridge Racer). OK, so it doesn't have the titles we're all waiting on. No system is perfect right out the gate. It's only once developers have had time to iron out the minor flaws and get to grips with what the system is capable of that the true potentialof any console truly flourishes. If launching early gives developers feedback on how to improve and more time to implement these changes, which in turn makes future games better, then I'm all for it.

I'm waiting on a great deal of games I consider to be damn near essential, but I don't mind waiting for quality. Which is why I don't date the skanks around here. I'd rather wait for a good one.

7. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    Forget May, I think it should have waited till they figured out how to improve the battery life to the level of the DSi. The current battery life is a HUGE disappointment since it's a portable console and will not always be close to an electrical outlet.

8. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    So you mean when a new type or upgrade of batteries come out remaining a small size?

I rather not wait forever. [​IMG]

No, it fine that it release before May.

9. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Me, and sorted out its SHIT battery life, HORRIBLE pricing and returned back to the line of the Gunpei Yokoi philosophy, which, btw, was "Good battery life, and good pricing"

10. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I don't get why everyone always whines about the battery life. I have mine set to about 70% 3D, half volume and whatever light setting it was on out of the box, and I generally get a good 8 or 9 hours between charges. What's the problem? OK, it's not as eternal as the classic brick Gameboy was, which thanks to replaceable batteries and low power drain you could take on a transatlantic flight without issue. And with Tetris you probably wouldn't even notice that you'd been flying for about 19 hours. But the battery life is fine by me. I don't know how you people are killing it so damn fast but mine seems to be just peachy.

11. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    I wont get it until there are better 3rd party first. Look at 3rd party for Wii.. It was fooled me into buying Wii and now 3rd party left Wii. I am not going to lose my money over this. Wait until there are better 3rd party just like PS3's 3rd party then its worthy buying for. [​IMG]

12. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    People seem to forget that the fiscal year in Japan ends in March for almost every company. Just as retailers in America are eager to pad their numbers in December which is their Q4, Nintendo is no different. They wanted a strong showing for their fiscal year, what a better way to end with a bang than to release a new hardware console. There's no point in waiting until May since really no investor gives a shit what happens in Q1. You'll note many Japanese companies tend to release their big hitters in Feb/March if possible. They don't generally care if it hits during the Xmas season, where as American/European companies are more senstive to getting their stuff out for the Christmas season.

13. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    I really dont think they needed any more advirtsment... Seeing it's sales reached a new record right after being released. xP

14. bowser

India
    Oh really? I don't have one yet (gonna get it in a couple of days).

I was just going by Nintendo's statement of 3-5 hrs. [​IMG]

15. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Are you switching between 2d and 3d and are you including breaks in gameplay?

16. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Delaying the release would be pointless.
    However, buying it at launch was your choice.

I knew full well when I bought it that i'd have to stick to shitty launch titles until a real game came along months later.

17. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Improvements in battery life have been moving at a snail's pace, and that isn't Nintendo's fault as they don't make batteries. With current Li-ion batteries, the only way to provide longer battery life per change is to make the battery bigger. The 3DS has practically no room under the hood for a bigger battery, which is why you see companies like Nyko extending their batteries outward of the unit, making it bulkier. The only way to increase the battery life per charge in the same volume is to either reduce the power consumption of the device using it, meaning "underclocking" in this case, or make a new battery type.

Isn't the 3-5 hours based on everything being on, such as having 3D, WiFi on and transmitting, max screen brightness, etc.? Having a flash card like the SCDS2 would also reduce the battery life per charge, as the CPU in that also needs power.

18. bowser

India
    Well if that's the case, I vote 'No'. [​IMG]

19. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'm not sure how people make the connection that somehow an extra 2 months delay would somehow magically mean battery life would double or something. You can only make battery life battery life better by 1) making the unit use less power 2) get a bigger battery. Since the 3DS essentially has 50% more screens, it's not surprising the battery life is poor since that is by far one of the biggest power sucks. The 3Ds actually has the biggest battery so far, a 1300maH one. Even the DSiXL only had a 1050mAH one so you can tell there's a lot of power being sucked down by something if, a 30% bigger battery nets you 50% less battery life. I really don't see it getting better unless they go with a screen that uses a lot less power. But that would mean a huge increase in cost so it's probably not practical.

20. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I think that it should have been delayed for as long as it would take to fix the obvious problems.