Hacking Which to buy

dbspanks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am in the market to get a new card and I'm tossing around the idea of either the AK2I or Iedge, I currently have used a few different cards( R4, DSTT, R4I Gold, and Edge) and want to get a new card. Which one of these 2 would you guys suggest based on support and compatibility? Any help or suggestions would be greatful.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AK2i. I can't offer you an unbiased opinion because I haven't used iedge. But I love AKAIO and I have not regretted my AK2i purchase for a second. Especially after being stuck with an r4i Gold prior.

Also, assuming you choose AK2i yourself, being a first timer This Thread is an excellent, illustrated resource for getting it working and troubleshooting.

coattails

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Both cards are no frills cards without any real-time save functions or any other fancy stuff.

Rom compatibility is basically the same. The AKAIO team will probably release an update earlier than the EDGE team if there is a new game released with anti-piracy measures, but the difference is probably only going to be a day or two. AKAIO also has some wicked menu scrolling speed and is just really user friendly, but it doesn't play mp3s & movies like the EDGE firmware does (without MoonShell). All in all, the AK2i is probably a better card for a cheaper price....

HOWEVER (and this is a big HOWEVER), the build quality of the acekard is absolutely horrid. It's almost guaranteed that you're going to eventually run into some contact issues with it (especially if you have a DSi XL). My ak2i comes from a good batch of cards but it still runs into contact issues sometimes if I put the DS to sleep and walk around with it in my bag (with a case on). By the time I open it to resume my game, I usually get a black screen or freeze and I have to reinsert the card to get the dsi to recognize it. This still occurs even after I apply the sliding & paper tricks. On the otherhand... the iEDGE is probably the dsi flashcart with the best build quality at the moment (it even has teeth!).

So basically...

AKAIO > iEDGE OS

iEDGE reliability > Ak2i reliability

Man, if they fixed the stupid contact issues with the ak2i, I honestly wouldn't mind paying a good 40$ for one. AKAIO is THAT good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1