Hacking which softmod

tantimongoose

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was set on a wode but after reading up on it all here have decided that perhaps softmod is the way to go afterall (money wise as well as compatibilty, updates , ease of use etc. )
I plan on buying a hdd with games from the following site (ujank games) http://www.portablegamesonline.com/wii.htm and was wondering if someone could perhaps identify from the pictures on his website if possible which softmod he uses so I can read up on it.
I'm not sure whether it is worth trying to save the money and have a go at it myself or just get someone else to softmod for me. I guess my questions is how wrong can i go -( i have reasonable computer knowledge)
Also wondering if anyone has used ujank games and if so how have they found the service and product.
Thanks

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.portablegamesonline.com/wii.htm
Please stay off sites like this, your getting scammed.
To soft-mod your wii, click on the ModMii in my signature area, it is the fastest, and easiest way, and its from our OWN forum, not an outside source!
As far as where to DL your games from: 1st, DL winrar , Wii Backup Manager, and Neogamma.
Google Hippyfreak and join the forum there, has tons of PAL, NTSC, J wii games, and yes, all regions play on a softmod. Keep in mind if you have a new wii, it'll ONLY play games off a USB stick/drive, nintendo put new DVD drives in the wii's that will not play ANY backup discs.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
tantimongoose said:
...and was wondering if someone could perhaps identify from the pictures on his website if possible which softmod he uses so I can read up on it.
What pictures? All he has is a simple image of USB loader GX and a shitload of wiicover pics.

Oh...wait...there's more. Hmm...apparently he also has something called "backup channel gamma" (never heard of it). Strangely enough, no channel of either the USB loader nor the homebrew channel. It also doesn't mention if you have to hack your wii yourself before you can use the drive, what partitioning of the drive is used or what revision of the cIOS(es) are used. If you're lucky, they installed priiloader and set it to override all the region settings.

I noticed black ops was on there (which is a problem game), so assuming that it works correctly, they know what they're doing. Unfortunately, I have huge doubts if that is the case (in your case, I'd be glad if it actually has the correct cIOS for it installed).

In any case: this is a hacking forum. Of course we're going to advise you to do it yourself: most of us can do everything they claim to do...but we're not trying to make money out of other people's work.

Off-topic: the following actually made my day...English isn't my native language, but I can pinpoint quite some grammar errors in their "professional" information:
* We are professional!
* Comes with free games! when you get back the Wii, just play!
* Having enough kids scratch the expensive game discs?! Well get upgrade!
* Play ANY games you want! US/UK/AU
* 1 Year warranty.
* Smart & Save! its just a game. Kids are easy to get bored, give kids lots of games to keep them quite, make them happy.
* With USB Hard drive channel installed (must request), then you can back up any wii games bought from local shop or borrow from a friend and then store it into your portable USB Hard drive via your console (no need computer ~ easy!). To play simply just load the games from the hard drive.
* Learning, knowing, and experiencing the latest gadget! Friends/families are gonna say: "how did you do that...lol"

I could tell the same about their site, which seems to be thrown together by someone with 5 minutes experience in frontpage, but hey...that doesn't mean they're not professional, right?
tongue.gif

tantimongoose

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O.k I know what you are saying the site does sound more than a bit suss but I'm glad you got a laugh at their (an my!) expense
smile.gif
Sometimes it takes someone to point out the obvious when you really want something the (seemingly) easy way.
Still I'm wary of messing with my wii and after reading through the modmii guide its all a little daunting to me so maybe I'm not as computer savvy as I thought. Also the bandwidth needed to download the games and actually finding them and understanding it all................
I know you all think the site I mentioned is a scam but do you think if I did follow the modmii guide and managed to do it myself then buying a hdd with games off the site that the games would work with the softmod I perform?
also can anyone recommend someone they have used to softmod their wii who could do it for a fair price? (in case I chicken out) or if I am a chicken would i then be better off getting a wode installed so I don't have to fret about updates and bricking (and no I'm not opening up the wii myself to install a wode - I'm just a a dumb chick when it comes to screwdrivers and electrical tape).
And one last question the Wode propaganda says it loads games quicker than original disks - how does this compare with soft mods?
Thank you all for your opinions and help.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Of course it's a bit daunting. There are a whole lot of technical terms you have to become familiar with before things become easy. I've been an ICT helpdesk agent for years and still things looked daunting to me when I started it.

The thing is: I don't see hacking as a means to quickly get to play some games, but as a hobby by itself. I understand that not everyone else feels that way...which is probably the whole reason why sites like that pop up.
But once again: this is a hacking forum. Asking money for anything would be illegal. And unethical as well (the authors from a good deal of the used software tend to visit this place...it would be awkward that they make and release programs for free while someone else gets paid for using them).

So...a 'fair price' would be like paying the transport and material costs, and at best a beer for the trouble. I seriously doubt someone here will step up and download the games for you, as that would be piracy (that's a risk you have to take yourself). I know Deadlyfoez offers help to ppl who pretty much ruined their wii (software-wise)...perhaps he'd help you on this as well. But it will mean you have to send his wii to him and trust him to send it back.

(oh, and I don't think anyone can give any guarantees. What works today may not work for future games or firmware)

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tantimongoose said:
Was set on a wode but after reading up on it all here have decided that perhaps softmod is the way to go afterall (money wise as well as compatibilty, updates , ease of use etc. )
I plan on buying a hdd with games from the following site (ujank games) http://www.portablegamesonline.com/wii.htm and was wondering if someone could perhaps identify from the pictures on his website if possible which softmod he uses so I can read up on it.
I'm not sure whether it is worth trying to save the money and have a go at it myself or just get someone else to softmod for me. I guess my questions is how wrong can i go -( i have reasonable computer knowledge)
Also wondering if anyone has used ujank games and if so how have they found the service and product.
Thanks

Personally I prefer Wiiflow for USB backups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission