which softmod

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by tantimongoose, Feb 15, 2011.

Feb 15, 2011

which softmod by tantimongoose at 5:57 AM (869 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. tantimongoose
    OP

Newcomer tantimongoose Member

United States
    Was set on a wode but after reading up on it all here have decided that perhaps softmod is the way to go afterall (money wise as well as compatibilty, updates , ease of use etc. )
    I plan on buying a hdd with games from the following site (ujank games) http://www.portablegamesonline.com/wii.htm and was wondering if someone could perhaps identify from the pictures on his website if possible which softmod he uses so I can read up on it.
    I'm not sure whether it is worth trying to save the money and have a go at it myself or just get someone else to softmod for me. I guess my questions is how wrong can i go -( i have reasonable computer knowledge)
    Also wondering if anyone has used ujank games and if so how have they found the service and product.
    Thanks

2. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    http://www.portablegamesonline.com/wii.htm
    Please stay off sites like this, your getting scammed.
    To soft-mod your wii, click on the ModMii in my signature area, it is the fastest, and easiest way, and its from our OWN forum, not an outside source!
    As far as where to DL your games from: 1st, DL winrar , Wii Backup Manager, and Neogamma.
    Google Hippyfreak and join the forum there, has tons of PAL, NTSC, J wii games, and yes, all regions play on a softmod. Keep in mind if you have a new wii, it'll ONLY play games off a USB stick/drive, nintendo put new DVD drives in the wii's that will not play ANY backup discs.

3. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
  4. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yes, he may have passed, but his thread lives on....

5. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    And don't forget 'FREE !!!'

6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    What pictures? All he has is a simple image of USB loader GX and a shitload of wiicover pics.

Oh...wait...there's more. Hmm...apparently he also has something called "backup channel gamma" (never heard of it). Strangely enough, no channel of either the USB loader nor the homebrew channel. It also doesn't mention if you have to hack your wii yourself before you can use the drive, what partitioning of the drive is used or what revision of the cIOS(es) are used. If you're lucky, they installed priiloader and set it to override all the region settings.

I noticed black ops was on there (which is a problem game), so assuming that it works correctly, they know what they're doing. Unfortunately, I have huge doubts if that is the case (in your case, I'd be glad if it actually has the correct cIOS for it installed).

In any case: this is a hacking forum. Of course we're going to advise you to do it yourself: most of us can do everything they claim to do...but we're not trying to make money out of other people's work.

Off-topic: the following actually made my day...English isn't my native language, but I can pinpoint quite some grammar errors in their "professional" information:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

I could tell the same about their site, which seems to be thrown together by someone with 5 minutes experience in frontpage, but hey...that doesn't mean they're not professional, right? [​IMG]

7. tantimongoose
    OP

United States
    O.k I know what you are saying the site does sound more than a bit suss but I'm glad you got a laugh at their (an my!) expense [​IMG] Sometimes it takes someone to point out the obvious when you really want something the (seemingly) easy way.
    Still I'm wary of messing with my wii and after reading through the modmii guide its all a little daunting to me so maybe I'm not as computer savvy as I thought. Also the bandwidth needed to download the games and actually finding them and understanding it all................
    I know you all think the site I mentioned is a scam but do you think if I did follow the modmii guide and managed to do it myself then buying a hdd with games off the site that the games would work with the softmod I perform?
    also can anyone recommend someone they have used to softmod their wii who could do it for a fair price? (in case I chicken out) or if I am a chicken would i then be better off getting a wode installed so I don't have to fret about updates and bricking (and no I'm not opening up the wii myself to install a wode - I'm just a a dumb chick when it comes to screwdrivers and electrical tape).
    And one last question the Wode propaganda says it loads games quicker than original disks - how does this compare with soft mods?
    Thank you all for your opinions and help.

8. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Of course it's a bit daunting. There are a whole lot of technical terms you have to become familiar with before things become easy. I've been an ICT helpdesk agent for years and still things looked daunting to me when I started it.

The thing is: I don't see hacking as a means to quickly get to play some games, but as a hobby by itself. I understand that not everyone else feels that way...which is probably the whole reason why sites like that pop up.
    But once again: this is a hacking forum. Asking money for anything would be illegal. And unethical as well (the authors from a good deal of the used software tend to visit this place...it would be awkward that they make and release programs for free while someone else gets paid for using them).

So...a 'fair price' would be like paying the transport and material costs, and at best a beer for the trouble. I seriously doubt someone here will step up and download the games for you, as that would be piracy (that's a risk you have to take yourself). I know Deadlyfoez offers help to ppl who pretty much ruined their wii (software-wise)...perhaps he'd help you on this as well. But it will mean you have to send his wii to him and trust him to send it back.

(oh, and I don't think anyone can give any guarantees. What works today may not work for future games or firmware)

9. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    It was pretty much the first backup loader. Pretty sure it got superceeded into Neogamma

10. tantimongoose
    OP

United States
    MMM...........maybe a wode is better for me
    Thanks guys

11. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Personally I prefer Wiiflow for USB backups.