Hacking Which r4i to get?

shossofe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After an hour of searching for a r4i flash cart, I finally narrowed down my search with this sites recommended site list. I went to the realhotstuff.com and found two R4i with the same price. The R4i Gold and the R4i SDHC. What do you guys think I should get?

I also found a R4i card in the site www.consolesource.com. I'm gonna be buying in bulk so buying my R4i there would save me 3 dollars plus it has free shipping. Should I trust it? I never seen a site call it a "backup" card before.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
don't get the r4i sdhc - it's crap. The r4i gold is good now though as it supports Wood - which has very frequent updates. That's probably the best one to get. But ONLY get one from the official r4i gold site. actually i'm not sure about that - i think any of the sites listed here work, have to ask someone else though.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Snailface said:
Go ahead and get the R4i-Gold, I have one and it's wonderful. I also have all of the carts Rydian mentioned and I think the R4i-Gold is better in comparison. (DStwo is great, but expensive)
Yeah but WHICH R4i Gold ? - there seems to be at least 4 of these....

The one I got was from 0Shipping which does support WoodR4, but I believe some don't

shossofe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I bought an R4 clone a while back for my Lite. It works perfectly, never had any problems with it even though it was a clone. As for why I'm getting a R4i. Doesn't the 3ds default firmware support it?
nyanya.gif
So according to popular opinion, I'll go with an R4i Gold. *edit* then again, maybe I'll just wait and see before buying one.

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't understand why it shall be an R4 clone no matter what. People here recommend Acecard, Supercard etc and your conclusion is to get an R4i Gold... I don't get it, that's not what has been recommended at all.

If you like taking chances, like taking a reckless 75% risk since there are 4 R4i Gold cards and only 1 of them is worth it, why then ask for a recommendation? If you want more security to get a good card then at least stay away from anything with R4 in its name since there are so many bad versions it is just too risky. There are much better alternatives with much less counterfeit problems, I see no good reason why anybody would want to have anything with R4 in the name, unless you are sure which clone version it is and even then its selection is questionable.

This is not addressed at the OP per se; it happens all the time on this forum and I just would like to understand why the name R4 has such a huge attraction that more valuable options are disregarded and people insist it shall be an R4 despite its bad reputation due to bad clones.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Stropdasje said:
I don't understand why it shall be an R4 clone no matter what. People here recommend Acecard, Supercard etc and your conclusion is to get an R4i Gold... I don't get it, that's not what has been recommended at all.

If you like taking chances, like taking a reckless 75% risk since there are 4 R4i Gold cards and only 1 of them is worth it, why then ask for a recommendation? If you want more security to get a good card then at least stay away from anything with R4 in its name since there are so many bad versions it is just too risky. There are much better alternatives with much less counterfeit problems, I see no good reason why anybody would want to have anything with R4 in the name, unless you are sure which clone version it is and even then its selection is questionable.

This is not addressed at the OP per se; it happens all the time on this forum and I just would like to understand why the name R4 has such a huge attraction that more valuable options are disregarded and people insist it shall be an R4 despite its bad reputation due to bad clones.

maybe becuase, even if you buy 5 of them, one of them is bound to work and it still works out cheaper than buying one of the other cards. £1.66 each? Now that's worth it! I pay more for a large packet of Haribo!

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wizzerzak said:
maybe becuase, even if you buy 5 of them, one of them is bound to work and it still works out cheaper than buying one of the other cards. £1.66 each? Now that's worth it! I pay more for a large packet of Haribo!

Okay, that makes sense, I haven't looked at it that way. My R4 was about € 50 but that was in the early days of the R4... For £1.66 the risk is minimal, I guess even the shipping is almost more expensive.

On the other hand, the updatable flashcards do not need to be replaced after every DSi/3DS update (a number of them already work with the 3DS today). So it saves you the wait time for a new one when the current R4 stops working.

When I would have to buy a new one I think I would get an updatable card with real-time-save function. For now my old R4 still works fine in a DS Lite with Wood R4...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I see your mop and raise you George's mop lol