Hacking Which R4 Should I Buy?

elevenism

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Define glitching?
Freezing during cutscenes/transitions, graphical breakdowns, some roms that used to work just showing up whitescreen.

I have about 75 DS games, with saves, and a GBC and NES emulator with a few roms each, BUT, it's a 16GB micro sd. So I don't THINK it could be from too much data, could it?

but yeah, I'll throw a few specific issues out and see if any of it sounds familiar. Okamiden used to work and is now just white screen. Phoenix Wright freezes in the first level (I've beaten it before.)
Same with Ghost Trick: it freezes in the first level now, but I've gotten a long way past that before.
Bowser's Inside Story has weird graphical issues during the turn based battles, and also freezes.

What's weird is that they worked perfectly for almost 2 years.

I even opened an unused R4 and micro sd and tried copying the data to THAT setup, and had the same issues.

Herald

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure, about the newer card, but the first iteration of Supercard dstwo runs it's own OS called Evolution. I don't recall it working with R4 wood kernal.

As for compatibility, you can check the wiki.gbatemp site.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: OO804

OO804

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Stick to a R4i Gold (r4ids.cn).

R4ids.cn redirects to some broken russian site and the R4i Golds are sold out everywhere worldwide, any other recommendations? Are the R4i clone gold plus "2020" cards that are timebombed, techncially the same as a R4ids.cn? Because they're everywhere I don't mind using ysmenu if I have to.

Last edited by OO804,

WaffleRaccoon

Breakcore Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know a good non time-bombed r4 source that works with newest firmwares, I want one for dsi xl, ds lite and new 3ds xl and run twilight cfw where I can and not deal with ysmenu and timebombs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001622256768.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.6d382e0et0fgTr

not sure about this one, it's not dated so might not be time bombed.
You could change the date on your DS to 2000 to bypass the Time Bomb. But other than that, I don't know any good R4 cards that have no time bomb. Even if there was, it would probably be pretty expensive.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4ids.cn redirects to some broken russian site and the R4i Golds are sold out everywhere worldwide, any other recommendations? Are the R4i clone gold plus "2020" cards that are timebombed, techncially the same as a R4ids.cn? Because they're everywhere I don't mind using ysmenu if I have to.
Are they actually sold out? I can check later to see what I can find for you.

OO804

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are they actually sold out? I can check later to see what I can find for you.

Appreciate it, don't spend too much time.

From my pretty thorough search and especially seeing a recent August reddit thread discussing it, it seems they are gone worldwide, and may not come back, not even ebay has them, they're replaced by these timebombed cards but if it's the same card with a sneaky mechanism to get you to buy more a few years later that can be circumvented I don't care.

They are cheaper too, and I have three portables I want to use them with anyway.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You could change the date on your DS to 2000 to bypass the Time Bomb. But other than that, I don't know any good R4 cards that have no time bomb. Even if there was, it would probably be pretty expensive.

I'll experiment with date as well as ysmenu, they are cheaper so that's good, the genuine r4i gold plus is a lot more expensive (and very hard to come by).

Last edited by OO804,

GhostLatte

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Appreciate it, don't spend too much time.

From my pretty thorough search and especially seeing a recent August reddit thread discussing it, it seems they are gone worldwide, and may not come back, not even ebay has them, they're replaced by these timebombed cards but if it's the same card with a sneaky mechanism to get you to buy more a few years later that can be circumvented I don't care.

They are cheaper too, and I have three portables I want to use them with anyway.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'll experiment with date as well as ysmenu, they are cheaper so that's good, the genuine r4i gold plus is a lot more expensive (and very hard to come by).
Sorry for the late response, but I would suggest one of those time bomb cards as they are relatively cheap! You can use YSMenu to circumvent the time bomb. I really enjoy my R4i Gold and I'm disappointed they're sold out everywhere (it's from manufacturing shortages from what I can tell).

OO804

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for the late response, but I would suggest one of those time bomb cards as they are relatively cheap! You can use YSMenu to circumvent the time bomb. I really enjoy my R4i Gold and I'm disappointed they're sold out everywhere (it's from manufacturing shortages from what I can tell).

Yeah they are a lot cheaper, I will use YSMenu, thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: GhostLatte

wariobar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi,
I would need to buy a new R4 flashcart for a NDS lite. Nowadays with the pandemic, I think it is better to buy it locally (Poland) so I can receive more or less soon. Below are the options that I have but I am a bit lost. Please, can you tell me if anyone of these doesn't have a timebomb, and which one would you recommend me? thanks!!

001.png 002.png003.jpg

GhostLatte

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I would need to buy a new R4 flashcart for a NDS lite. Nowadays with the pandemic, I think it is better to buy it locally (Poland) so I can receive more or less soon. Below are the options that I have but I am a bit lost. Please, can you tell me if anyone of these doesn't have a timebomb, and which one would you recommend me? thanks!!

View attachment 232123 View attachment 232124View attachment 232125
All of these have a timebomb, but that can be circumvented with YSMenu.

Reactions: wariobar

KuroKishu1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there an r4 card for the DS Lite that supports Micro SD cards larger than 2gb? I would kinda like to avoid buying multiple cards + multiple micro SD's

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1