Gaming Which piracy checks does Pokemon Platinum have?

Kamika

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I recently downloaded the US rom of Pokemon Platinum and I haven't encountered any strange things. I did hear that Pokemon Platinum would also have a few piracy checks in the game, so I would like to know which and when they will occur.

And another thing, which is indirectly related to this game. I just read that the savefile of this game may get bigger over time. Does the R4 support 1mb savefiles?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it does have some anti-piracy checks, but they are only minor and don't block playability.
they won't bother you unless you start messing with pokesav and similar stuff.

they simply block the use of wifi with an impossible to obtain pokemon, that's all.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've heard of event pokémon like Mew having checks on them.
If this check is missing (because you used an Action replay on Fire Red/Leaf Green to obtain it) then it won't obey you.

I guess a similar check is in place for this impossible to obtain pokémon?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
not really.
on the nintendo WFC servers they have a little database with "plausible" pokemon.
if you try to go on wfc with something like a lvl1 ho-oh the server knows it can't legally be obtained, and it will be blocked.
but it only checks pokemon directly involved in the WFC communication, so if you just box it everything works fine.

Islay

Trophies
XP
Country
I corrupted my sav about 2 days ago, it just loaded the last time it worked and I played on, I like that xD, you lose a little but not a lot.

Kamika

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Depravo said:
QUOTE said:
Does the R4 support 1mb savefiles?

Yes - if using YSMenu and the custom savlib.dat file.

Which I did. Works like a charm
biggrin.gif
It's a good thing I checked this site before advancing further into the game because the thought of seeing your hard work going to waste because of a corrupted savefile isn't very pleasant D:

@thedicemaster: Which is why I keep my legendaries on my original game (Pokemon Diamond). Not that they're not legit (I don't even know for sure if they are, but I checked if my Mew was legit and it was
biggrin.gif
). It's too much of a risk to strore them on the illegal Platinum game.

Kreatur84

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Kamika said:
And another thing, which is indirectly related to this game. I just read that the savefile of this game may get bigger over time. Does the R4 support 1mb savefiles?
you`ve read wrong.what you mean is at gta cw with the save file

Kamika

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kreatur84 said:
Kamika said:

Well, I actually meant Pokemon Platinum. So far I've found out that 512 kb isn't enough for all the savdata of Pokemon Platinum to fit in so when it tries to convert it to a larger filesize (1mb), the R4's kernel will reject that and corrupts the savedata. So that question has been answered and a problem has been solved before it had the chance to emerge.

But about the piracy checks: I think I just came across one when someone from Jubilife TV tried to interview me. I couldn't enter any of those key words. That area was greyed out. But I really expected Nintendo to try harder to discourage us from playing downloaded roms on our DS. If they only cut us off from all the extras, then it's indeed not much of a loss since I'm only interested in the main game, not in the minigames. But I do hope that they didn't make it impossible to enter the Underground and get some rare evolution stones. Has anyone managed to use the Underground with the Pokemon Platinum rom?

Aether

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kamika said:
Kreatur84 said:
Kamika said:

Well, I actually meant Pokemon Platinum. So far I've found out that 512 kb isn't enough for all the savdata of Pokemon Platinum to fit in so when it tries to convert it to a larger filesize (1mb), the R4's kernel will reject that and corrupts the savedata. So that question has been answered and a problem has been solved before it had the chance to emerge.

But about the piracy checks: I think I just came across one when someone from Jubilife TV tried to interview me. I couldn't enter any of those key words. That area was greyed out. But I really expected Nintendo to try harder to discourage us from playing downloaded roms on our DS. If they only cut us off from all the extras, then it's indeed not much of a loss since I'm only interested in the main game, not in the minigames. But I do hope that they didn't make it impossible to enter the Underground and get some rare evolution stones. Has anyone managed to use the Underground with the Pokemon Platinum rom?

The interview worked fine for me.
ohmy.gif
and yes the underground works.
smile.gif

I've only quickly tested the underground tho. but it seems like there are no piracy checks at all.

DaRealChrono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've come across no problems so far.

Underground and the interviews worked fine for me...

The only problems I've had is with the NDS-GBA linkage, but I think that's a M3 problem...

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I've played the game for about 12 hours w/o issues and I'm using a R4 (not using YSMenu currently).

So...I guess I need to get YsMenu, and if I don't my save file will get corrupted, right? : /

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DaRealChrono said:

The only problems I've had is with the NDS-GBA linkage, but I think that's a M3 problem...
that's more of a pirated GBA game problem.
D/P/P needs to see a valid save on the GBA cart in order to enable GBA-DS link features, but they can't read the save-memory of an expansion.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
None of its own, as far as I can tell. Platinum doesn't have seem to anti-piracy checks.

Pretty much just the same issues as D/P and various other DS games. Like how most flashcarts won't link to Wii, and most slot-2 carts not working for GBA-DS link.

Dalrint

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a similar note to this, what happens if you try to connect to the nintendo wifi network while running the game as a rom?

Like, the global trading system and such. Assuming you haven't used any cheats, you're just playing the game like normal.

DaRealChrono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thedicemaster said:
DaRealChrono said:

that's more of a pirated GBA game problem.
D/P/P needs to see a valid save on the GBA cart in order to enable GBA-DS link features, but they can't read the save-memory of an expansion.

So I guess I can assume there no viable fix for it (at least with Diamond/Pearl, I'm sure there's no patch for Plat. yet) for the M3 GBA Expansion (Not 3-in-1)? Or can the PokePatch work too, of course assuming there was a patch for Plat.?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F