Hacking Which of my Switch consoles should I use with SX-Pro?

glasshalffull

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm trying to decide which of my Switch consoles I should use with the SX Pro, which is arriving next week. I'm mostly interested in playing games and emulators offline, but would like to be able to easily update games to the newest versions.

I just bought a new neon Switch from Target (USA) this week which is on v4.1.0, XAW100786xxxxx (looking at the serial number thread, it looks like this Switch should be hackable). The main issue with this switch is that it cannot read exFat SD cards without an update which, if done online, will also update the firmware to 5.1. I saw two threads on these forums which show how to get the SD card reader update offline without updating the system FW (seems a little difficult, but I suppose a noob like me could do it if I really needed to). Though I've read that there is a reasonable chance that getting the SD update offline would be detectable by Nintendo if I ever go online later and could result in a ban. I'm not that interested in online play, but I'd like to avoid a console ban in case future game updates are not possible on banned consoles, or in case there is eventually a CFW that allows online functionality.

I also have my original launch grey Switch, updated to v5.1.0, with my Nintendo account, saved game files, etc. I've never done any hacks or homebrew on it. The big downside to hacking this is that it's already on 5.1 and won't be able to take advantage of future soft mods or CFW that need 4.1 or below to work, and I'm stuck using a jig indefinitely. The upside to using this Switch though is that it already reads SD cards and I already own it, which means I could just return the neon Switch and save some money.

If I hack the 4.1 Switch, I could just keep my original switch for legit online multiplayer games.

Any thoughts on what I should do? For those who are using 4.1 Switches with SX, did you get the exfat SD card update offline as shown in the threads on these forums? Is there pretty much no way around doing that if you want to stay on FW 4.1 or below?

I realize that this decision depends on things that no one can predict right now (e.g. will Nintendo one day stop allowing game updates on banned consoles? will the offline SD update result in a ban eventually? will all consoles that use SX eventually get banned, even if you later switch to a better CFW?) Thanks in advance for any and all assistance! I was going to post this in Noob Paradise, but I'm interested in hearing multiple opinions, particularly from people on FW 4.1 and how you addressed the SD card update issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: