Hardware Which Graphic Experience is Better 3DS or PS Vita?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All I care about is games.

I'm perfectly fine with the 3DS's graphics, I just like the PSV's screen size.... then again, I want my handhelds to fit in my pocket.

To me, it really doesn't matter. Whenever I play a PSV, I forget you can't turn on the 3D. The 3DS spoiled me with that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can understand clearly what @ShadowSoldier has to say here and I wholeheartedly agree - Graphical Experience can be understood in numerous ways and it's a very good point. It all runs down to what the OP preferes. We can argue which console is more capable then the other, but we can't dispute the fact that a Nintendo console will have more... well... "Nintendo-y" titles.

It is best to look at the previous exploits of those companies - check out what the PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii, DS and Gamecube had to offer and you will have an on-look of what those two companies prefere to have on their system and what they don't particularily support - it's always a clear indication of what to expect in the future. :)

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I can understand clearly what @[member='ShadowSoldier'] has to say here and I wholeheartedly agree - Graphical Experience can be understood in numerous ways and it's a very good point. It all runs down to what the OP preferes. We can argue which console is more capable then the other, but we can't dispute the fact that a Nintendo console will have more... well... "Nintendo-y" titles.

It is best to look at the previous exploits of those companies - check out what the PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii, DS and Gamecube had to offer and you will have an on-look of what those two companies prefere to have on their system and what they don't particularily support - it's always a clear indication of what to expect in the future. :)
Which is PRECISELY why Nintendo will probably always have my preference... especially for the "Nintendo-ey" games. :-p

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
From my experience with the two they are actually pretty much on par at the moment. Nothing on the vita look so amazing that it tops the current best looking game on the 3DS (RE revelations)

Let's not be so blissfuly oblivious to the differences between the two:

You can clearly see that RE: Revelations levels were designed to use as little polygons as possible, you can see that the textures are lower-resolution and you can see that the overall feel is saved only by the use of Anti-Aliasing. Uncharted shows amazing lighting effects, much higher-res textures, much more complex levels... You know what I mean. They both look great, but only *for the hardware they were made for*.

Just as a footnote, I disagree with the comments in this video, I am only posting it because it shows head to head how both games look like on the actual hardware, not on some advertisement video and it's in 720p, if someone finds a better comparison then do post it.

EDIT: Dang it, no auto-merge? >>
That video is so unfair, Revelations have plenty of open environments and polys, and in the parts where you do play on the ship you get no loading time between rooms, only when taking the elevators.
The video you just showed was an off screen look at the demo, the colors are so much more vibrant on an actual 3DS, the top screen on that device is a terrible thing to record of screen footage from.
An amoled is so much better to film, and yes amoled screens do look better in person, but the difference isn't that big as video footage make it seem like.
Actually there's a huge quality difference even between the top screen and bottom screen on the system itself when captured on camera.

Here's a better video of what RE looks like. (I'm actually at that part in hellmode right now)

Jump to the 3:30 mark.

[yt]pJ3OnsnGP74[/yt]

This looks very dull on youtube.

here's one of the later bosses.
[yt]Cpn-sod9IVI[/yt]

A friend of mine is getting a vita soon so I'll soon see what it looks like in person.
Anyway yes uncharted do look much better, I just wanted to say that the video you posted doesn't in any way represent Revelations.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
An amoled is so much better to film, and yes amoled screens do look better in person, but the difference isn't that big as video footage make it seem like.
Actually there's a huge quality difference even between the top screen and bottom screen on the system itself when captured on camera.
As an owner of multiple Samsung smartphones with AMOLED screens, I can attest to the trust of this statement. Amoled screens are much much MUCH better on film than the 3DS... even in person, playing GBA and SNES games on my phone looks SO MUCH better than on the 3DS.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
-stuff that I generally agree with BUT-

I used the video in question because it shows how the screen displays the graphics - the video you provided shows just what the hardware generates and was made using a capture device. You will never have colours that rich displayed on an actual screen. Both the 3DS and the Vita were filmed with (I'm guessing) the same or similar camera, this there is no favourism. While I agree that AMOLED screens are great, the Vita's screen has been hailed "the most beautiful and rich screen ever made" by many respectable critics and I am inclined to believe them. ;)

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I for one wish to see a demo of the Vita in stores... so far, all I've seen is a powered off Vita sitting inside a glass box at my local Gamestop, and my Wal-mart doesn't have a demo either.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I for one wish to see a demo of the Vita in stores... so far, all I've seen is a powered off Vita sitting inside a glass box at my local Gamestop, and my Wal-mart doesn't have a demo either.
Really?

Poland must be rich then, we have a Vita test unit in bloody Tesco's lol, and the units literally flew off the shelves - there's just the test unit left at the moment. Either they purposely hid all of them somewhere, which would be rather bizzare as they always place the boxes underneath the display in the locker or they just ran out.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Poland must be rich then, we have a Vita test unit in bloody Tesco's lol, and the units literally flew off the shelves - there's just the test unit left at the moment. Either they purposely hid all of them somewhere, which would be rather bizzare as they always place the boxes underneath the display in the locker or they just ran out.
lol. I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstand what I said. There are definitely Vitas for sale in boxes, but there are none out for display or hands-on demo-ing. Sorry for the confusion

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
lol. I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstand what I said. There are definitely Vitas for sale in boxes, but there are none out for display or hands-on demo-ing. Sorry for the confusion
I understood what you said, what I said is that your retailers are being cheap bastards for being afraid of putting up a test Vita. :P

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

I used the video in question because it shows how the screen displays the graphics - the video you provided shows just what the hardware generates and was made using a capture device. You will never have colours that rich displayed on an actual screen. Both the 3DS and the Vita were filmed with (I'm guessing) the same or similar camera, this there is no favourism. While I agree that AMOLED screens are great, the Vita's screen has been hailed "the most beautiful and rich screen ever made" by many respectable critics and I am inclined to believe them. ;)
Currently capture cards doesn't exist aren't are at least not available for the average joe.
So it's unlikely but possible.
So I don't know, I just researched a little and the youtuber isn't willing to share any info.

(I've also been looking for vita demo units, no luck so far.)

D

Deleted_171835

Actually all of that was filmed with a camera. The uploader doesn't have a capture device.

Think of it this way:
DS = Near or Less than N64 quality graphics
3DS = Near or Greater than PSP quality graphics
PSV = Near or Greater than PS3 quality graphics
It's more like,
DS = Slightly better than the N64
3DS = About as powerful as a Wii with modern shaders
PSV = A bit above the half-way point between a Wii and a PS3/360.

The capacity of the Vita to create advanced 3D environment is *miles* ahead of that of the 3DS in all respects - a quad GPU and a quad CPU obliterate all oposition, as of today I can't think of a portable device that would have a beefier setup and when it comes to graphics, stronger is better. There is no questioning that without looking slightly silly.
The big difference between this gen and the last one in terms of handhelds is that the 3DS is able to handle games from almost every genre. Last gen, the DS couldn't handle 3D fighters (Street Fighter) or large open-world games (like Monster Hunter). People turned to the PSP for those kind of games. With the 3DS, It's perfectly capable of those games with graphics that don't look like horse-shit. While the Vita is quite obviously more capable, I don't think the gap is as large or as noticeable to consumers as it was before.

Reactions: 3 people

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Re: the sample picture of the DS in the OP: Introduce me someone who would happily turn away from widescreen gaming in favor of "hi-res graphics inside a square".

I have yet to try the Vita but it looks promising. If my 3DS wasn't an ambassador, I'd trade it for a Vita in a heartbeat!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The big difference between this gen and the last one in terms of handhelds is that the 3DS is able to handle games from almost every genre. Last gen, the DS couldn't handle 3D fighters (Street Fighter) or large open-world games (like Monster Hunter). People turned to the PSP for those kind of games. With the 3DS, It's perfectly capable of those games with graphics that don't look like horse-shit. While the Vita is quite obviously more capable, I don't think the gap is as large or as noticeable to consumers as it was before.
We can't forget that the Vita is the more obvious choice to some genres as well as the 3DS which has its own favourites - the addition of the second analog stick (and I say stick, not the horrible slider from the PSP, god bless Sony for that) is a clear nod at the FPP community which requested that kind of an addition for years now. While I agree that the 3DS is perfectly capable of pulling off graphics that are not "poop", I am really eager to see what the Vita has in store for us for the future.

Both systems appear to be well-prepared controls-wise - the 3DS with its gyro's, touchscreen and circlepad add-on keeps up with the Vita with the same features (I'm not talking about the rear touchpad as I actually think it's sort of uncomfortable), this "bout" will only be resolved by the titles duking it out. The difference is there, it is noticable, but I don't think it's "bothering" as much as it was the case with the DS and the PSP as you previously said.

In my eyes they're both worthy competitors, to be honest. I really wish the 3DS was a bit beefier than it is, maybe not for the sake of better graphics on the spot but for the sake of developers, as while developing multiplats they will have to tone down 3DS editions or write whole new games as it was the case with the DS and the PSP.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow this turned out to be a quite nice thread, no trolling or extreme bias so far. Why can't every thread be like this?

And personally the only times I liked the 3D on the 3DS was when I was playing Zelda, Mario Kart and Mighty Switch Force (it's sprite based and I can't play that game without it anymore).
Any other game I've tried have made me to move around my 3DS too much (street fighter).

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
I have both, and yeah, vita is better for graphics, there shouldnt be any doubt over that. However, for me 3DS has more games for me upcoming that I'm looking foward to than the vita. In fact, for the vita, its more what games would I get if I got a vita, not what games would make me want a vita, like the 3DS done.
I personally think both are great consoles either way and hope they both push each other to be better

D

Deleted_171835

In my eyes they're both worthy competitors, to be honest. I really wish the 3DS was a bit beefier than it is, maybe not for the sake of better graphics on the spot but for the sake of developers, as while developing multiplats they will have to tone down 3DS editions or write whole new games as it was the case with the DS and the PSP.
Honestly it doesn't really matter to me as much since multi-platform games are not common on portable systems. I buy portables for the exclusives, not for multi-plat games (although that's certainly a plus). I have a 3DS already and will be getting a Vita eventually (missed out on the PSP so that's an entire library of games for me to catch up on) so I'll be getting the best of both worlds.

MavrickJones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the luxury of owning both a psp and ds, I enjoyed both, but I mostly used my psp for internet, music, and movies. I PLAYED the ds, and there was a lot of memorably games, while I don't remember a lot of the psp games I've played, I honestly can only think of like 3 at the moment. Nintendo has a tendancy to release fun, memorable games.

I also feel like they have PSP and PSV under the shadow of their consoles. While DS and 3DS tries to be it's own system, at the time, it was the only touch screen gaming platform and it got several unique games. PSP tried to be a PS2 or a PS3, and I loved it for what it did, but it really didn't have it's own games.

That being said, this is about graphics, and as people said before, you should rate on graphics, but the Vita does looks a lot better. At the same time, the 3D can be pretty immersive, it may not be better graphics from a technological stand point, but for gameplay wise, the 3D can help pull you in making the graphics better. I can't wait for Spirit Camera. I expect it to become my reality after 1 play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, prove it
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it