Hacking Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

Hatchetball

RepititionRedundancyRepitition
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a few carts missing and the pricing isn't entirely accurate. Excellent work on this so far, Rydian.
(Namely TTDS/TTDSi^^) ........(R4's can be found for at least $2.69)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The DSTT/i series is a shitty cart for a new user to buy, thus it's not listed.

Prices are the average of chinese shops, has the price of R4s dropped? There's always going to be shops that charge a little more or less than others so differences of a dollar or two don't matter, but almost half price is a notable different if many shops are pricing around that.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the CycloDS has special homebrew either (Moonshell is not special).

It does however have working Wii connectivity; are there carts that have troubles with that?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Jiro2 said:
I don't think the CycloDS has special homebrew either (Moonshell is not special).
It's called DSi homebrew...you know, using the DSiMode that no other flashcart has access to? I'd call that pretty flashcart specific at the moment...even the Homebrew Bounty's prizes have most winnings in the DSi homebrew part of it...you know, using Sudokuhax or the iEvo? Yeah, funny how animals with eyes still have blind spots.

zzz92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Rydian, I see that you missed out the Edge series, any reason to leave that out?
IMO, it's a pretty descent card with good build quality.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
zzz92 said:
Rydian, I see that you missed out the Edge series, any reason to leave that out?
IMO, it's a pretty descent card with good build quality.
Build quality doesn't mean much if it doesn't play the games people want in a timely fashion.

I held a public poll before making this thread, with a list of all current flash carts. The edge didn't get as many votes as any of these carts.

zzz92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Alright =D Thanks for the respond!
laugh.gif

johneem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi - been off the scene for ages, buying the youngster a 3DS

where's the best place to buy R4i gold?? (I'm UK based)

Thanks for any help

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, may as well ask my $0.02 worth.

Currently got an HW44 Ak2i. I've been happy with it on my DS lite enough. Mostly annoyed that currently it seems I can't update this thing to then work on a 3DS.

This wouldn't be such an issue, if not for my DS lite once again showing various cracks particularly along the hinge. I got a BBY replacement plan on it, and invoking that, I could put its value toward a 3DS... but of course that would mean I couldn't go back. it would have to be either sticking with a DS lite or going up to that.

This leaves me as a quandary of what kind of card to get, in order to be compatible with what I have now, and still be able to use it in terms of plugging it into the 3DS if I upgrade to that. Looking at it now, I could either:
- just get another Acekard 2i, hopefully pre-flashed for 3DS... it's cheap, and I've already been happy with the AKAIO software and the like. It has good battery life, though not much in terms of hardware capability either.
- Supercard DSTwo. I dig that it has the extra silicon to support GBA emulation and better emulation than what is available for cards without (let's be honest, snemul and jenesis on their own just aren't that great). However, currently can't boot stuff in DSi mode either... but also seems likely to be able to update for that. And the battery life seems to be a problem with these... which is already a problem on a stock 3DS.
- CycloDS iEvo. Since it is confirmed to at least boot in DSi mode, to use the extra horsepower of the handheld(s). Though with it being the first, it might also come to be the 'worst', meaning a new standard of how to use it might come around and it not able to handle it that way. Games needing to be re-ripped to be "DSi-mode aware" is an inconvenience, but not terribly so either. No extra silicon also means that it's up to homebrew makers to update their emulators and apps to work with the extra DSi-mode features.

These are the options that I can see thus far. Unless someone else knows of some other possible solutions for me to go with.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you believe that the DStwo will see an update to allow it to at least boot into DSi-mode on a DSi/3DS?

Or is it more likely for software to simply be (re)compiled to take advantage of the extra speed, thus making the iEvo the better choice?

mcjx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
codezer0 said:
Do you believe that the DStwo will see an update to allow it to at least boot into DSi-mode on a DSi/3DS?

Or is it more likely for software to simply be (re)compiled to take advantage of the extra speed, thus making the iEvo the better choice?
I own an Acekard2i, and I am wondering this same thing. I want to upgrade to take advantage of DSi features as I've just recently bought a 3DS. (It's a nitpicky thing really, I know most games don't really even have worthwhile enhancements outside of being able to connect to WPA networks.)

It seems right now my best bet for this is the iEvo, but if the DSTWO gets an upgrade that will enable this, I would prefer to go with that option.

Does anyone have any information or speculation into DSTWO's extendibility or will I have to wait for a new revision of their card?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't give details, but the iEvo's booting ability seems to surpass the DSTwo's, so it could be possible that the DSTwo never gets it, or they could not be interested, or waiting to see if there's a way they could do it that's more legal than how the iEvo does it.

Which of the DSi's features do you want, though? People tend to think they can do stuff that's not possible (such as using DS games with WPA).

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, the DSi mode is attractive to be able to have access to more RAM and CPU power from the DS, which in turn can be useful to making better homebrew, and more accurate emulators... always appreciated.

If the DSTwo could support booting in DSi mode as well? DSi mode + extra RAM/CPU on the card = plenty of horsepower for making some good apps and stuff. And a legitimate reason to move beyond my DS lite.

mcjx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
People tend to think they can do stuff that's not possible (such as using DS games with WPA).
I do know that Pokemon Black/White allows you to connect to WPA-encrypted networks as a DSi-enhanced feature.

Reactions: kevan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o