Hacking Which cartridge is the best?

aaron.stark2020

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I am interested in buying a cartridge for "homebrews" and I was wondering which one is the best? I heard that the R4 is pretty reliable but does not support SDHC. There seems to be a supply problem with the DSTT. Any advice on where to get one would also be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might wanna move this to the NDS flashing hardware and software section
or go there to find an answer to your question

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want a less expensive cart compared to the CycloDS, you can get a DSTT at leetmod.com and a few other places. Or you could wait a week or two until supplies of the Acekard 2 become available. If you want to spend a little extra for features such as slowing down your game during play, in-game menu, or real-time state dump/load, then the CycloDS is for you.

-Bri

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
SCDS1 is best, quite clearly now..most features and most guis, it's superior to cyclo-evo in every department now.

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I have migrated from a R4 to a SCONE-DS and I'm one happy customer. With the new DSTT/Y's menu enhancements where I can run 3 Operating sytems at the same time, going from one to the other, this card is simply outstanding. It makes my old R4 look archaic in comparisson.

I vote SCONE-DS.

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would go for epson.. they are cheaper.. but on the other hand HP has a longer life.. difficult choice..

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Grimalkin said:
The R4 looks archaic regardless of any newer comparison.

I vote CycloDS, it's faster.

You mean the menu is faster than ?

DSTT and Y's menu's are generally known to be the fastest if this is the most important factor to a consumer.

With SCDS1 you can hold 'x' or 'y' on boot-up or softreset to enter DSTT or Y's menu, or just let the normal SCDS1 operating system boot by holding no buttons. The cyclo simply cannot compete anymore with the SCDS1, there is an ever growing gulf in features between the two carts now.

Kaos

Good show!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sidneyyoung said:
Grimalkin said:
The R4 looks archaic regardless of any newer comparison.

I vote CycloDS, it's faster.

You mean the menu is faster than ?

DSTT and Y's menu's are generally known to be the fastest if this is the most important factor to a consumer.

With SCDS1 you can hold 'x' or 'y' on boot-up or softreset to enter DSTT or Y's menu, or just let the normal SCDS1 operating system boot by holding no buttons. The cyclo simply cannot compete anymore with the SCDS1, there is an ever growing gulf in features between the two carts now.
Can the SCDS1:

Boot your last played game if you hold L+R?
Change brightness IN-GAME?
Run games with full download play and soft-reset capability without the need to set any settings beforehand?
Have a support forum where the creators actually talk to you and listen to feature requests, then implement those requests in later firmwares?
Run NDS games off any MicroSD card without having to install firmware files onto that card? For example, I could take the card from my friends R4, and it will work perfectly in my CycloDS without having to copy firmware files onto it.

Does it do those things?
If not, go with the CycloDS, because it does.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
LOL, I'd say get either SCDS1, or CycloDS evolution, as for they're both fantastic carts, but if you're more interested in homebrew, then I'd say SCDS1, because it has homebrew soft reset.

Volsfan91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of the fanboyism aside, I recently reviewed the EDGE card and found it to be very impressive, especially considering the price; if you're not wanting all of the really special cheating functions, it can be had for about $30.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Volsfan91 said:
All of the fanboyism aside, I recently reviewed the EDGE card and found it to be very impressive, especially considering the price; if you're not wanting all of the really special cheating functions, it can be had for about $30.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find. DX will TAKE a long time to restock, and the places that were selling them stopped for some reason. Where did you get it?

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Kaos999 said:
Can the SCDS1:

Boot your last played game if you hold L+R?
Change brightness IN-GAME?
Run games with full download play and soft-reset capability without the need to set any settings beforehand?
Have a support forum where the creators actually talk to you and listen to feature requests, then implement those requests in later firmwares?
Run NDS games off any MicroSD card without having to install firmware files onto that card? For example, I could take the card from my friends R4, and it will work perfectly in my CycloDS without having to copy firmware files onto it.

Does it do those things?
If not, go with the CycloDS, because it does.

1) It might do, I don't know if the DSTT, or Y's menu support that feature, it's hardly a 'wow' feature though
2) not as far as i know
3) yes, just make them the default settings in scds1 menu, same for the other 2 operating systems, DSTT and Y's
4) Yes, if a game gives trouble, they fix it quickly.
5) No, but having the firmware on the mem card can give massive advantages like being able to run 3 operating systems via a choice of a button press.

I would like to ask,

1) Can the cyclo have multiple save files for one game ?
2) Does the cyclo have a real time game guide function ?
3) Does the cyclo have a true real time AR/Dipstar cheat engine ? The ScDS1 via the DSTT/Y's loaders can also run the standard xml cheat single file, as well as it's own true real time one.
4) Can the cyclo run a 'clean save' without using patching on the save area of a rom ? The scds1 own operating system has 3 ways of saving as well as point 1's multiple save files for one rom.
5) Can the cyclo run 3 operating systems, and jump from one to the other at will ? Just hold a button at reset or bootup for the choice of 3 sytems.
6) Can the cyclo run mp3's and video without additional software ?
7) Will the cyclo have the same level of support 2 to 3 years down the line as Supercards slot-2 range recives now ?

Vapourstreak

Trophies
Website
vapourstreak.moonfruit.com
XP
Country
Canada
lol its a war.

i ove the ez flash v with the expansion pack because both are so integreted with eachother its painless to use both. i also love the SCDS1 jsut as much because of the awesome GUI. i have a supercard miniSD and its getting about the same amount of support as it did 2 weeks after launch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-