Hacking Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

theeboredone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish I had better luck finding a 3DS OG or XL around my town. Every Target, Walmart, etc I went to seem to be carrying one that did not match the serial number description. Craigslist hasn't been very helpful either, because people seem to update their systems to the latest version. Off to Ebay I guess...

alepman89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wish I had better luck finding a 3DS OG or XL around my town. Every Target, Walmart, etc I went to seem to be carrying one that did not match the serial number description. Craigslist hasn't been very helpful either, because people seem to update their systems to the latest version. Off to Ebay I guess...

Did you try Sears?they have a clearance for the pink OG 3DS 60$ and the black for 100$,even radioshack have some.If you are looking for XL
try Toys r us in not so wealthy neighborhood (Target and Walmart sell their systems fast and most of <4.5fw is gone in those stores since BF)

theeboredone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try Sears?they have a clearance for the pink OG 3DS 60$ and the black for 100$,even radioshack have some.If you are looking for XL
try Toys r us in not so wealthy neighborhood (Target and Walmart sell their systems fast and most of <4.5fw is gone in those stores since BF)

Unfortunately, I do live in a wealthy neighborhood haha. The three Sears in my area don't even carry video games. Every Radioshack didn't carry them. Toys R Us, I didn't give a shot cause I was looking for a deal.

Ah well lol.

Max8987

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only got my 3DS a few months ago. I got it from a big ass store (toys r us) and i got the basic blue model when they had zelda and mario editions on sale... and i got 4.4

If you get the wrong version just return it and go somewhere else. Chances are all the 3ds are the same version in a specific store. You can also try pawn shops.

theeboredone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess it will not hurt to check Toys R Us today. Was hoping I could have snagged one from Target with their 25 dollar gift card throw in, or Sears/Radio Shack for their discounts.

Edit: Just called. They have plenty of purple. Time to cross my fingers and hope this works out.

Max8987

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean Target and Sears sound even better.... because they probably go through less 3DS then Toys R Us, which means they may have some laying out there for ages... right? Why dont you just prioritize - go to the best discount one, and just ask them - be a dick. be one of 'those guys'.

" Excuse me, but this 3DS is an investment and i will have to turn it on to make sure it works."

"uhh... im not sure we can do that"

"SUPERVISORRRRRRRRR!!!!! MANNNAAAAAGGEER!!!"

"ok ok stop screaming and tearing out your eyelids, please!

"OK Then, so i can turn it on?"

"yes, sir...."

"5.5 NO THANKS BYEEEEEEE"

throw that shit in the trash as you walk out. Its not theft if you leave it in their trash.

Reactions: Stickert

theeboredone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, unfortunately, that's not in my DNA. I was at two Targets yesterday, and both had XL's with the Serial Number past SW12. I'm not gonna ask them to rip them open.

I did find a craigslist offer for an OG Red 3DS for 140 sitting on firmware 4.5. Assuming Toys R Us carries a 3DS with 4.5 or under, it'll become a decision of if I should go for a "new" one or just get an old one and save 30 bucks.

I wonder if I could barter somehow for a better price.

Max8987

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, that's cool. I was just checking. It's good. It's good it's not in your DNA cause that's an asshole thing to do... but you're right about those code numbers.... research the release dates for the serial numbers and pick one out thats good. It's how my grandma buys her milks....

Reactions: theeboredone

theeboredone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was at Toys R Us and I found about 5 Blue 3DS XLs and 5 Purple 3DS OGs sitting there with both holding serial numbers required to be 4.5 or under. I decided to go with the XL, but I haven't opened it yet. Still not sure if the XL is right for me, haha. I need to find someone with the OG 3DS, so I can play it. I find myself totally fine with the DS Lite, and the OG 3DS has similar dimensions to it.

Edit: I also price matched the XL to Amazon, so the difference between the OG 3DS and XL was only 15 bucks.

thebatdadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was at Toys R Us and I found about 5 Blue 3DS XLs and 5 Purple 3DS OGs sitting there with both holding serial numbers required to be 4.5 or under. I decided to go with the XL, but I haven't opened it yet. Still not sure if the XL is right for me, haha. I need to find someone with the OG 3DS, so I can play it. I find myself totally fine with the DS Lite, and the OG 3DS has similar dimensions to it.

Edit: I also price matched the XL to Amazon, so the difference between the OG 3DS and XL was only 15 bucks.

XL is basically superior in every way, aside from:

portability: The XL isn't really small enough to carry around in your pocket comfortably, so if you want to play it out a lot and think that carrying it around in a bag or backpack doesn't sound tempting, stick with the original. This is usually the biggest deciding factor.

sound: The XL's speakers are said to be not as nice as the original's speakers. They're not as loud or as clear from what I've read around the net.

picture quality: This one is debated a lot. The aspect ratio of the original and the XL are the same, and therefore some people complain that the picture becomes stretched out on the bigger screens of the XL (as in, they can see the pixels and the graphics are slightly blurrier). I have both an original and XL and personally believe the XL's picture is much, much better. The bigger screens make the games more immersive IMO and the games just look brighter and more vivid to me. Whatever 'loss' in picture quality in the XL is unnoticeable to me.

Good luck with your decision, regardless of which one you choose it's still a 3DS and you'll still have fun!

Reactions: SolarisHeights

vagueheart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
XL is basically superior in every way, aside from:

sound: The XL's speakers are said to be not as nice as the original's speakers. They're not as loud or as clear from what I've read around the net.

I dont have the original 3DS. But I would also say that the 3DS XL's volume is much softer compared to the NDS.

Crimson Mage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I got mine from a local shop after searching many shops to find a US 3DS XL package since most of the 3DS XL packages here are Middle East versions which their serial numbers starts with "SS". Unfortunately I couldn't find any information regarding the middle east serial numbers in here nor in any other forums, so I just couldn't take the risk of purchasing one without making sure that the one I'll buy has the firmware I seek. Luckily, I found a local shop that sells the US 3DS XL package, I looked at the serial number, and it starts with SW1232XXXX! The number is so damn close to SW1231XXXX which was reported by someone here that it has a version 6.1.0! So I asked the seller to gave me another package, but he said this is the last piece and the rest of 3DS XL packages are Middle East versions. XD
So what are the chances this will be 6.1.0? Maybe that guy who reported 6.1.0 was lying or maybe he got a used one. But then again, I'm limited of choices so I took the risk of purchasing it. I even couldn't wait to return home to check its firmware. I unboxed it right way after purchase, turned it on, system settings, and ... it is version 4.4.0-10U! :lol:

Side note: Generally, Middle East follow the PAL region, but in this case, we saw that all Nintendo products follow the NTSC/U region. I don't have a sure answer but maybe because we don't have an official distributor.

tl;dr
Blue/Black 3DS XL
SW1232XXXX
Ver. 4.4.0-10U

Stickert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

theeboredone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WEEELLLLL come on!!! Don't keep us waiting! unbox that shit, i want to feel good for helping you find a 4.4U.

Would it kill you more to let you know that I went back and bought a Purple OG 3DS? I have both sitting unopened, waiting for my Gateway to come in.

I got to borrow a friend's OG 3DS and played some games on it. Games like Phoenix Wright, Mario, or Pokemon were fine. Games like Kingdom Hearts and Resident Evil...well I can see why I may prefer an XL for those kinda games.

But that portability. I'm leaning towards keeping the purple 3DS.

morgan012

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Got my 3DS XL
Black (MH 3 Bundle), game preinstalled
SEF1145xxxxx
Bought in Poland on ebay-like site, but instruction only have Spanish, Italian and Portuguese language
Firmware V4.5.0-10E

Dewdrops

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Would it kill you more to let you know that I went back and bought a Purple OG 3DS? I have both sitting unopened, waiting for my Gateway to come in.

I got to borrow a friend's OG 3DS and played some games on it. Games like Phoenix Wright, Mario, or Pokemon were fine. Games like Kingdom Hearts and Resident Evil...well I can see why I may prefer an XL for those kinda games.

But that portability. I'm leaning towards keeping the purple 3DS.
You could keep both and buy two gateways.

Reactions: Carrie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol